[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

18 hours ago, Divstator said:

This is the patch I cobbled together:

Was going to suggest you have a look at this config for RC/SR compatibility but it looks suspiciously like yours (original cfg on left, "cobbled" version on right).

I used that patch myself when it was posted and never had any problems with the 0.35 nose cone chute with pre-v1.1 KSP.

So it might not actually be the config unless the few changes made make a difference somehow. Or maybe it is the config, just not re-written properly for any changes made to v1.1

Actually, mine looks suspiciously like his. :) I changed the diameters because in FAR with the "thinner" air, chute drag is almost less than the rocket itself, which causes the rocket to be pointing downward when the chute fully deploys. When that happens the animation makes the chute deploy upside down and then it snaps back once the physics kick in. I used the chute calculator to help me figure out which diameter of chute I needed for my applications, and I was going to post it over in the Sounding Rockets forum once I got the PackChute to working. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work.

As far as the config goes, the nose cones work, it's just the Pack chute I can't get to work. I messed with it for like 16 hours yesterday. I'm starting to think it might have something to do with the fact that the pack doesn't have an animation, it doesn't "unpack" as it were, the chute just pops out of it. But nose cones have animations where they split and then the chute comes out. I looked at the pack in Blender and "looks" right, but I have very,VERY little modeling experience. Who knows, I went through the cfg over and over yesterday and if something is wrong with it, it's something that I just can't see.

The latest changes to that cfg was to substitue :NEEDS for :FOR before[RealChute]. I "think" that allows you to put the cfg outside the RealChute folder. I know MM will find them anywhere in the game directory, but since it's a modified cfg not done by stupid_chris, it just seemed proper.

7 hours ago, VirModoetiae said:

Dear stupid_chris,

Where can I download a legacy version of Real Chutes? I would need the 1.2.5.3, or, to be less specific, anything that would work with Realism Overhaul (v 10.9.5), that is to say, anything that woks with Kerbal 1.0.5. In fact, the present version of Real Chutes (1.4) is not working at all for me (no parachutes available at all in the utility section). I am using Kerbal v 1.0.5 (build 1028) with Realism Overhaul 10.9.5 (with all its core dependencies).

v1.3.2.7 is still on SpaceDock.

6 hours ago, Jackaroo0505 said:

Link?

He literally quoted the Changelog to you... Just look at the changelog in the OP. Alternatively, you could've taken five minutes to try it out.

4 hours ago, jstnj said:

KSP: KSP: 1.1 (Win64) - Unity: 5.2.4f1 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit

Problem: RealChute size uncustomizable

Mods installed:
-snipped-

Reproduction steps:

Go to VAB, try to change size:

http://imgur.com/mgGsmU2

You missed the first step of the bug reporting guide. Try to help yourself. Look at the FAQ.

If that actually would've been a bug (which it isn't), I couldn't have done anything about it without logs, without actual reproduction steps (what did you do to try to change the size, rather than "can't change the size"), and because of the ludicrous amount of other mods installed.

2 hours ago, Divstator said:

The latest changes to that cfg was to substitue :NEEDS for :FOR before[RealChute]. I "think" that allows you to put the cfg outside the RealChute folder. I know MM will find them anywhere in the game directory, but since it's a modified cfg not done by stupid_chris, it just seemed proper.

Do NOT use :FOR[RealChute], or :FOR[any_mod] unless you are the maintainer of that mod. This node is reserved only for the mod and modder in question, and using it might completely screw up how the mod works. Patches work no matter where in GameData you put them, regardless of what they affect and when they run. As I've said, you mightwant to try :BEFORE[RealChute], but from what you described, it seems the parachute itself is poorly built if it behaves this way, and I can't do anything about it.

Edited by stupid_chris

Hi, having an issue with log spam (getting about 4k entries on my normal install) which appears to be coming from RealChute or maybe FAR?

KSP: I've done a fresh install of KSP 1.1 x64 and only:

Mods Installed: FAR v0.15.6.1 (and its dependency)

RealChutes 1.4

MM 2.6.23

Exception detector to test and its still occurring.

Reproduction steps: Just created a basic rocket with mk1 pod and mk16 chute.

Problem: upon re-entry it will start to spam the log at some point with 

at FerramAerospaceResearch.RealChuteLite.RealChuteFAR.FollowDragDirection () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26687/output_logCHute.txt

Checked both threads but can't see any mention of this recently, so not sure what's happening tbh or which mod maybe the cause?

Thanks

New update out, fixing a few small bugs and compiling on KSP 1.1.1

April 29th 2016
v1.4.1
-Fixed bug related to reloading the database through ModuleManager
-Added an OnActive override, potentially fixing a few contract oddities
-Removed deprecated MM configs

Probably the last update on 1.1.x unless something bad happens :P Cheers!

1 hour ago, stupid_chris said:

New update out, fixing a few small bugs and compiling on KSP 1.1.1

April 29th 2016
v1.4.1
-Fixed bug related to reloading the database through ModuleManager
-Added an OnActive override, potentially fixing a few contract oddities
-Removed deprecated MM configs

Probably the last update on 1.1.x unless something bad happens :P Cheers!

Does it fix "test RealChute" part contracts?

1 hour ago, stupid_chris said:

I don't create contracts. So whatever you might mean by that, the answer is: I don't know. This is not in my hands.

I mean the stock "test part" contracts. They didn't work with RealChute parts: when you activated them, it didn't trigger the contract conditions.

The stock "test part" contracts are created because of this section in the various chutes' part cfgs:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleTestSubject
		environments = 4
		useStaging = True
		useEvent = False
	}

I think changing the useEvent line to True should allow the contracts to be completed by right clicking on the real chute and choosing "run test" when the altitude and speed conditions are met. Not sure why staging the chutes doesn't satisfy the contracts though.

4 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

The stock "test part" contracts are created because of this section in the various chutes' part cfgs:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleTestSubject
		environments = 4
		useStaging = True
		useEvent = False
	}

I think changing the useEvent line to True should allow the contracts to be completed by right clicking on the real chute and choosing "run test" when the altitude and speed conditions are met. Not sure why staging the chutes doesn't satisfy the contracts though.

I'm aware of that. Not fond of making it right click though. I've been told arming the chute works best. But the staging messing up is not my doing.

Hmm so I finally installed a truckload of mods and fired up KSP for the first time in a couple of years today. And now I'm finding that the atmosphere isn't slowing me down nearly enough to use parachutes. I'm not sure if this is even a bug or if it's the new 1.0 aerodynamics changes.

To reproduce the behaviour I just built this craft: (image link) (that's a Swivel engine hidden in the fairings)

and between the two stages it got me up to a periapse just shy of 69,000 feet on a fairly narrow parabolic trajectory. Then I started to come down again. I was still accelerating downwards until 15,000m altitude, when my downward velocity maxed out at 912 m/s.

The Realchute parachute stayed red in the staging list until about half a second before I crashed into the ocean, still doing around 300 m/s. There was definitely not enough time to deploy it and let it slow me down. Output_log is here: (link)

I haven't played with the new aerodynamics, so I'm not even sure if this is a bug and I should go through the labourious process of elimination of mods, or if this is how things are supposed to be and I need to rethink my rocket design.

Any ideas? Is this actually what KSP is meant to do now? It seems bizarre that a craft descending from 70 km should be unrecoverable with parachutes.

Below are the mods I installed today. As far as I can tell RealChute is the only one I installed that actually involves drag and aerobraking - EVE and Scatterer affect the atmosphere but AFAIK only in graphical ways. Of course I'm not blaming this on RealChute (not without process of elimination narrowing it down) but I'm hoping someone can at least tell me if this really is faulty behaviour so I know it's worth doing going through all that effort.

Spoiler

1yZ184k.png

So, talked too fast, and here we are again.

April 30th 2016
v1.4.1.1
-Recompiled for KSP 1.1.2 to prevent nasty PopupDialog exceptions

Disclaimer: ModuleManager is not bundled with this version, because it's not compatible yet. Do yourself a favour and install it when an 1.1.2 version comes out, if you need it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.