[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

7 minutes ago, 1990eam said:

Hello. I installed this mod and the first Mk26 chute seems to take a hell of a lot more to slow down the capsule (like +5k meters). Is this normal?

Did you make any adjustments to the chute through the action window in the VAB before launch?

Edited by Brigadier

31 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Did you make any adjustments to the chute through the action window in the VAB before launch?

Yes I did make sure it opened at around 3k meters and it was still going at 100m/s when it landed haha. Maybe I have to get used to the slower brake time.

20 minutes ago, 1990eam said:

Yes I did make sure it opened at around 3k meters and it was still going at 100m/s when it landed haha. Maybe I have to get used to the slower brake time.

I'm not trying to be difficult but do you mean the chutes open or deploy at 3km?  Yeah, 100 m/s is a little fast.  Did you account for all of the lander mass when you adjusted the chute?

@1990eam You control when the chute opens and what speed it will slow the craft down to by using the Action Group editor in the VAB/SPH. Once you have your landing craft completely designed you attach chutes and use the editor to configure the chute's parameters. (see the first post for the FAQ and the informational video). Once the chute is configured you apply your settings. And also copy those settings to other chutes if you attached more than one in symmetrical mode. (one of the options allows you to specify how many chutes will be used. Be sure to fill that in correctly if there is more than one chute!)

If the chute cannot be sized large enough to meet your criteria then you will receive a warning in red letters telling you that the chute has been made as large as possible but is not sufficient to slow the craft down and you will need additional chutes or correct any mistakes in your specifications. 

Make sure that there are no stages attached that will not be present during landing and if the craft is going to contain most or all of its resources/propellants then make sure that wet mass was selected instead of dry mass. (there is an option for that in the chute configuration editor)

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

one of the options allows you to specify how many chutes will be used

I noticed in v1.3.1 at least this doesn’t say “chute parts” - I thought it was clarified in the setting window so ppl wouldn’t think it meant the single or triple canopy option

4 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@1990eam You control when the chute opens and what speed it will slow the craft down to by using the Action Group editor in the VAB/SPH. Once you have your landing craft completely designed you attach chutes and use the editor to configure the chute's parameters. (see the first post for the FAQ and the informational video). Once the chute is configured you apply your settings. And also copy those settings to other chutes if you attached more than one in symmetrical mode. (one of the options allows you to specify how many chutes will be used. Be sure to fill that in correctly if there is more than one chute!)

If the chute cannot be sized large enough to meet your criteria then you will receive a warning in red letters telling you that the chute has been made as large as possible but is not sufficient to slow the craft down and you will need additional chutes or correct any mistakes in your specifications. 

Make sure that there are no stages attached that will not be present during landing and if the craft is going to contain most or all of its resources/propellants then make sure that wet mass was selected instead of dry mass. (there is an option for that in the chute configuration editor)

yeah, I'm not sure what the default setting is, but just by opening the chute editor it will automatically tune your chute to the appropriate settings for that payload, as long as you don't exceed the maximum.

2 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I noticed in v1.3.1 at least this doesn’t say “chute parts” - I thought it was clarified in the setting window so ppl wouldn’t think it meant the single or triple canopy option

Triple canopy still counts as a single chute. It's just cosmetic thing

1 hour ago, Capt. Hunt said:

yeah, I'm not sure what the default setting is, but just by opening the chute editor it will automatically tune your chute to the appropriate settings for that payload, as long as you don't exceed the maximum.

No you still have to hit apply

7 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Triple canopy still counts as a single chute. It's just cosmetic thing

I know, but I recall that confusing me the first time I used the mod years ago and I asked @stupid_chris to change the text to include "parts" because others had also asked about it at times. I thought the change had been made

Hey guys! Status update!!

So I officially finished my semester, and I have four months of relaxation/paid work in front of me, which is much more releasing than you might think it is. I just bought NieR: Automata as a way to congratulate/reward myself for being done, so I'll probably spend the next three weeks glued to my PC :rolleyes:

Next step after that is revamping RealChute. I'm actually pretty motivated about it. I'm hoping to tear down the whole thing and rewrite it from the ground up. I've grown a lot as a programmer since I first started this five years ago (damn it's been a while). There's a lot of work to do. This will however be during my free time, as I'll still be working full time in order to be able to afford my new development machine later this summer to replace my laptop.

I'll keep you guys updated as I make progress :)

26 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

That's awesome @stupid_chris congrats for all the hard yards you put in super excited about what you plan to do KSP wise, and yes we do learn a lot in 5 years. Are you still maintaining KSPX as well, i wish squad would adopt those parts I always use them

Given they are parts, I highly doubt there is any maintaining to do, they should all work fine.

On 4/26/2018 at 9:23 PM, stupid_chris said:

Hey guys! Status update!!

So I officially finished my semester, and I have four months of relaxation/paid work in front of me, which is much more releasing than you might think it is. I just bought NieR: Automata as a way to congratulate/reward myself for being done, so I'll probably spend the next three weeks glued to my PC :rolleyes:

Next step after that is revamping RealChute. I'm actually pretty motivated about it. I'm hoping to tear down the whole thing and rewrite it from the ground up. I've grown a lot as a programmer since I first started this five years ago (damn it's been a while). There's a lot of work to do. This will however be during my free time, as I'll still be working full time in order to be able to afford my new development machine later this summer to replace my laptop.

I'll keep you guys updated as I make progress :)

Very nice, looking forward to it. Please make the lines of the drogue chute much longer than they are now, maybe even out to the distance of the main chute. Would look much cooler as right now the drogue chute looks way too close to the craft. Would be super cool to have the effect that the drogue chute is pulling out the main chute.

50 minutes ago, JPGSP said:

I have a bug that the parachutes tab don´t appears.

Does any one know how to fix it?

I know the answer is somewhere in this thread since I had a similar problem last year.  Try searching for it.

What versions of RC and KSP are you running?

52 minutes ago, JPGSP said:

RC: 1.4.5

KSP: 1.3.1

Back in Feb there was a discussion about this exact problem.  So, after a quick search on the keyword 'category' in this topic I found this...start there.

The latest version of RC is 1.4.6 but I don't know if that version works on KSP 1.3.1.  Have you considered updating to KSP 1.4.2 (or 1.4.3)?

Also, note the clear notification in the OP that problem posts without links to logs will be ignored by the dev.  Fair warning. :/

10 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Have you considered updating to KSP 1.4.2 (or 1.4.3)?

No because I alredy have enough peoblems with my 1.3.1 mods

And my computer is very bad

10 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Also, note the clear notification in the OP that problem posts without links to logs will be ignored by the dev.  Fair warning. :/

What do you mean?

9 hours ago, JPGSP said:

What do you mean?

You need to follow this properly: 

You can upload the files to some cloud service (Google Drive, One Drive, DropBox...) and share the shareable file lin here

• 1 month later...

just did some experiments and can recommend this patch I made:

// let something like an LES stack atop the chute
@PART[RC_cone]
{
  @attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
  node_stack_top = 0, 0.5, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1
}

As long as the chute does not clip directly into the LES part, it will detach clean on separation. So place the chute, then stack the LES on top of it and translate it upwards off the chute. Then make the nose chute a bit bigger than normal so you can clip it into the command pod and still cover the top.

JkgyM3e.png

Can these chutes be configured to come out of the CM centered? Seemed no matter how I attach the chutes, the lines always come out to the sides tilting the CM as it comes down under parachute(s). Don't know if I'm missing something or that's just the way it is.

Edited by MikeO89

25 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

Can these chutes be configured to come out of the CM centered? Seemed no matter how I attach the chutes, the lines always come out to the sides tilting the CM as it comes down under parachute(s). Don't know if I'm missing something or that's just the way it is.

it seems to always come from the center of where the part is attached. If it's a radial part, it's going to have the part "hang" from that point unless you attach  multiple chutes. The stack chute (cone) is from the center IIRC.