[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Oh, I see. Putting it all in a custom window, including the current tweakables stuff? Yeah, I suppose that would give you a lot more flexibility.

Mostly string editing and stuff. I'm planning on a single window containing all the parachutes in the editor in different tabs.

Request: some sort of speed limiter, optional or otherwise. Probably shouldn't be possible to open a chute at Mach 20. At least not without ripping the chute part off. Curiosity couldn't pop its chute until it dropped to Mach 2. Or Maybe link it to dynamic pressure instead since that's where the damage would be?

Request: some sort of speed limiter, optional or otherwise. Probably shouldn't be possible to open a chute at Mach 20. At least not without ripping the chute part off. Curiosity couldn't pop its chute until it dropped to Mach 2. Or Maybe link it to dynamic pressure instead since that's where the damage would be?

I actually took a few seconds to consider dynamic pressure then realized drag is absolutely irrelevant of pressure. And if you actually transform that into pressure, you end up finding that dynamic pressure is actually included within the drag equation.

As I've said many times, drag is Fd = ½ * rho * v² * Cd * A

rho, is atmospheric density, not pressure. If you want to change it, you would end up with k * p for pressure, where k is the factor that depends on temperature and partial pressure of different gasses. That makes Fd = ½ * kp * v² * Cd * A

And then, figures out that dynamic pressure is ½ * p * v², and this is directly in the equation above. So yeah, this can be crossed out.

As for them ripping off when going too fast, this is planned, just not now.

Edited by stupid_chris

Well, the tweakable system of .23 lets you change values of parts in VAB. Your parachutes have a number of editable parameters, like number of spare parachutes and deployment altitude, pressure, size of canopy pre-deployed and post. I change these values and launch the rocket strait away but modifications aren't taken into consideration and values can no longer be tweaked on launchpad.

Well, the tweakable system of .23 lets you change values of parts in VAB. Your parachutes have a number of editable parameters, like number of spare parachutes and deployment altitude, pressure, size of canopy pre-deployed and post. I change these values and launch the rocket strait away but modifications aren't taken into consideration and values can no longer be tweaked on launchpad.

No they can't be tweaked on the launchpad, and by design. You should be planning your mission from the VAB, not when hurling to the ground at a few km/s

Hi, I found a minor bug in the VAB, when adding the radial main chute, MechJeb goes crazy estimating the ship weight, it just start growing nonstop. One in the launchpad there's no problem, so the problem is with MJ estimating the weight of the chute.

Could you check this with the creator of MJ?

Thanks.

Yes, exactly.

They do, I have been playing myself and they worked brilliantly. What tweakables do you speak of and why do you say it doesn'T work? And are you using v0.3.2.1?

Hi, I found a minor bug in the VAB, when adding the radial main chute, MechJeb goes crazy estimating the ship weight, it just start growing nonstop. One in the launchpad there's no problem, so the problem is with MJ estimating the weight of the chute.

Could you check this with the creator of MJ?

Thanks.

You are also using an outdated version, get v0.3.2.1, this bug was fixed in this version.

Ok, I checked and realized some tweaks work (must go down, deployment altitude and time, ...), the ones that don't work are the number of spare chutes, size of canopy pre and post-deployement. Also, the drogue chute canopy is slightly elliptic.

Yep, problem with spare chute tweaking seems to be in place. Haven't tested deployment diameter in the field though.

Since here gather people that know stuff about chutes, maybe somebody can give advise on this? I have 15,5 ton dry mass hover lander, assembled as spaceplane (lands on belly, not on stern). CoM is approximately in the center and dry CoM moves just 6 cm in from, so it's generally the same. I've placed 2x2 radial chutes ~30 degree from top of fuselage, between CoM and bow/stern, so I guessed they'll hold vessel more or less even. But when it comes to full deployment, vessel starts flipping over the head (despite RCS and SAS) and flipping speeds up to the point when vessel breaks apart. Nice fireworks, but I need to land it in one piece. Any ideas how to place chutes to keep vessel stable? Remember that it needs to be placed on ground horizontally, kinda like landing spaceplane on chutes.

Ok, I checked and realized some tweaks work (must go down, deployment altitude and time, ...), the ones that don't work are the number of spare chutes, size of canopy pre and post-deployement. Also, the drogue chute canopy is slightly elliptic.

Everything is working perfectly fine over here, once more get the lastest update if you haven't already, else, show me some data, screenshots, logs, etc so that I can do something to figure out what is wrong, because with that information, I can only assume you are doing something wrong on your side.

Since here gather people that know stuff about chutes, maybe somebody can give advise on this? I have 15,5 ton dry mass hover lander, assembled as spaceplane (lands on belly, not on stern). CoM is approximately in the center and dry CoM moves just 6 cm in from, so it's generally the same. I've placed 2x2 radial chutes ~30 degree from top of fuselage, between CoM and bow/stern, so I guessed they'll hold vessel more or less even. But when it comes to full deployment, vessel starts flipping over the head (despite RCS and SAS) and flipping speeds up to the point when vessel breaks apart. Nice fireworks, but I need to land it in one piece. Any ideas how to place chutes to keep vessel stable? Remember that it needs to be placed on ground horizontally, kinda like landing spaceplane on chutes.

The simple answer is don't deploy nose up in the wind., if you start spinning around, you'll be in for a rough time.

They do, I have been playing myself and they worked brilliantly. What tweakables do you speak of and why do you say it doesn'T work? And are you using v0.3.2.1?

You are also using an outdated version, get v0.3.2.1, this bug was fixed in this version.

Thanks, I redownloaded from spaceport. I will check the game tomorrow.

Yep, problem with spare chute tweaking seems to be in place. Haven't tested deployment diameter in the field though.

try using drouge chutes early to line it up. earlier semi-deployment of the mains might help too. i've used such chute methods too, you really just need more chutes, and maybe a reaction wheel

I don't know if this is a bug or I am not doing it right. I was reentering with capsule in Kerbin, I clicked Arm Chute at 60k before hitting atmosphere. I don't have FAR installed, just DR, the latest version. Well after I came in atmosphere my chute never opened. The chute icon showed blue after arming it, I am just wondering am I doing something wrong? Or does arming work different then I think?

I don't know if this is a bug or I am not doing it right. I was reentering with capsule in Kerbin, I clicked Arm Chute at 60k before hitting atmosphere. I don't have FAR installed, just DR, the latest version. Well after I came in atmosphere my chute never opened. The chute icon showed blue after arming it, I am just wondering am I doing something wrong? Or does arming work different then I think?

Yeah, apparently there is a problem with arming parachutes, I'll have to check what broke.

I actually took a few seconds to consider dynamic pressure then realized drag is absolutely irrelevant of pressure. And if you actually transform that into pressure, you end up finding that dynamic pressure is actually included within the drag equation.

As I've said many times, drag is Fd = ½ * rho * v² * Cd * A

rho, is atmospheric density, not pressure. If you want to change it, you would end up with k * p for pressure, where k is the factor that depends on temperature and partial pressure of different gasses. That makes Fd = ½ * kp * v² * Cd * A

And then, figures out that dynamic pressure is ½ * p * v², and this is directly in the equation above. So yeah, this can be crossed out.

As for them ripping off when going too fast, this is planned, just not now.

Yes, I knew that, thank you. I wasn't suggesting that you incorporate something into drag that is already incorporated.

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but seemed like a good place to start. I'm having issues with the FASA Mercury Chute. At 4x physics warp I get a phantom sideways force that pushes the capsule sideways and rips the chute off. It only happens with this one parachute ?

Here is a link to my output log file, it's got a bunch of NullRef spam in it. I'm using a ton of mods like FAR, Deadly Reentry, Remote Tech, etc.

RealChutes seemed like the logical place to start with troubleshooting. If anyone could direct me to some documentation on reading these output logs maybe I can find my own answer?

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsyvqkpt0dd9kcw/output_log.txt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.