[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

1 hour ago, eightiesboi said:

especially without an explicit notice from the dev

... and the dev said: 

This clause expires if I happen to be inactive (no connection) for a period of 90 days on the official KSP forums. In that case, the license reverts back to CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 INTL.

Just now, majNUN said:

... and the dev said: 

This clause expires if I happen to be inactive (no connection) for a period of 90 days on the official KSP forums. In that case, the license reverts back to CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 INTL.

No. The dev has not explicitly said that the mod is "totally up for grabs." The clause in the license that has expired prevents you from redistributing the mod without getting "explicit permission on the matter through a private channel". So, you are currently free to fork this mod and redistribute it under the aforementioned license without first getting explicit permission. However, that's not the same as if, after 1.9 dropped, the dev gave notice that the mod was abandoned. It's been a week. Be patient. Or, alternatively, have at it and update the mod, as the license allows. 

For what it's worth: my motivation here is simply to point out that it's only been a week since the latest KSP release, and the fact that the dev hasn't immediately posted an update doesn't mean that the mod is abandoned. Modders don't work for Squad (well, most don't!), and few receive adequate (or any) compensation for their efforts. KSP and the community benefit greatly from all of the time, sweat, and tears that the modding community devotes to making the game better. Stating that someone else's mod is "totally up for grabs" one week after a new release can be seen as equivalent to demanding that the mod be updated immediately.  If that wasn't your intention, I apologize. You've been around longer than I have, and about as long as @stupid_chris, so you know undoubtedly know all these things. But I am willing to bet you've seen how toxic a community can become and how quickly that can happen, and the last thing I want to see is modders leave our community. 

If you want to discuss this further, please PM me. I'm always up for a licensing debate! :D 

Fear not Kerbonauts! I've just raised a PR with the required code changes to get it back up with KSP 1.9+. I just tested it and is working fine on my machine™.

If you don't want to wait for further verification of my changes, want to play with this mod now, and you trust me enough to download a binary I compiled (<_<):

• Copy RealChute.version to <KSP_INSTANCE>\GameData\RealChute
  • Copy RealChute.dll to <KSP_INSTANCE>\GameData\RealChute\Plugins <-- This is the binary I mentioned before

It should get you going now. I hope @stupid_chris may check it and eventually we get a new release out. For now I can go back to play!

Hope it helps.

Edited by firegun
Link removed by moderator

On 2/18/2020 at 3:23 PM, firegun said:

Fear not Kerbonauts! I've just raised a PR with the required code changes to get it back up with KSP 1.9+. I just tested it and is working fine on my machine™.

If you don't want to wait for further verification of my changes, want to play with this mod now, and you trust me enough to download a binary I compiled (<_<):

• Copy [~ link removed by moderator ~] to <KSP_INSTANCE>\GameData\RealChute\Plugins <-- This is the binary I mentioned before

It should get you going now. I hope @stupid_chris may check it and eventually we get a new release out. For now I can go back to play!

Hope it helps.

Thanks dude!

This mod is pretty important to me since I like to come home alive. Thanks for hooking us up

Edited by Starhawk
Link removed by moderator

19 hours ago, eightiesboi said:

So, you are currently free to fork this mod and redistribute it under the aforementioned license without first getting explicit permission

That's right dude - it's totally up for grabs.

• Copy  [~ link removed by moderator ~] to <KSP_INSTANCE>\GameData\RealChute\Plugins <-- This is the binary I mentioned before

Hope it helps.

Super, thanks!!!

• Copy  [~ link removed by moderator ~] to <KSP_INSTANCE>\GameData\RealChute\Plugins <-- This is the binary I mentioned before

Hope it helps.

What do you use for dll editor?

Hi everyone!

As you all know, I have worked on RealChute 2 for a while now. It's still in the works, but to be honest, the announcement of impending KSP 2 has basically completely stopped me in my tracks. There is little point into making a complete rewrite of my mod for a game with a set kill date. RealChute 2 will hopefully happen, but on KSP 2, not or at least not on KSP 1 until we see the state of modding on the new game.

I'm currently working on my game right now, and this is taking up most of my time along with my last year of Uni. As for 1.9, I have no time to push the update for at least two weeks, hopefully @Starwaster can get to it. It's not broken, you literally should be having a warning when the game starts warning you that the mod is disabled on the new version.

As for the broken status, I guess a litteral warning at the start of the game goes over everyone's head. I thought that'd be obvious enough.

On 2/19/2020 at 8:56 AM, majNUN said:

That's right dude - it's totally up for grabs.

Lol okay buddy. The mod already has a new maintainer, which would be @Starwaster, I haven't been maintaining this very much for the past two years.

Edited by stupid_chris

On 2/18/2020 at 5:23 PM, firegun said:

• Copy RealChute.version to <KSP_INSTANCE>\GameData\RealChute
  • Copy RealChute.dll to <KSP_INSTANCE>\GameData\RealChute\Plugins <-- This is the binary I mentioned before

Hope it helps.

Just saw this.
The license has indeed retracted to the CC-BY-NC-SA, but you are not complying to it. Please take down this link and adhere to the license.

Edited by stupid_chris
Removed link

14 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

Just saw this.
The license has indeed retracted to the CC-BY-NC-SA, but you are not complying to it. Please take down this link and adhere to the license.

I really don't get it. Ofc I also don't understand excrements on these licenses or anything like that, but still quite surprising to me that I cannot mention a link to a open source git repository... honestly just wanted to help.

Could you educate me on which part of the license I didn't complied to? Should I not PR too? o.O

Edited by firegun

15 minutes ago, firegun said:

I really don't get it. Ofc I also don't understand excrements on these licenses or anything like that, but still quite surprising to me that I cannot mention a link to a open source git repository... honestly just wanted to help.

Could you educate me on which part of the license I didn't complied to? Should I not PR too? o.O

CC-BY-NC-SA has three main caveats

BY - You must provide attribution

NC - You may not commercialize

SA - You must share under the same license.

Your link provides only the .dll, no license, no attribution.

You also breach rule 1 of the addon rules if the forum, which states you must provide a license in the download.

Edit: I provided the link so you may know how to apply the technicalities of the license.

Edited by stupid_chris

Several posts in this thread have been edited to remove a link which does not comply with the Add-on Posting Rules for this forum.

Please ensure that you are in compliance with both the licence and with the rules above before posting a link to compiled code on this forum.

Feel free to contact the moderation team if you have any questions about the rules.

Thank you for your understanding,
KSP Moderation Team

Seems to me that the attribution and license both already exist by the link being in this thread and firegun saying the only change was to recompile it with the version changes. If there's not going to be an official release any time soon then it seems rather inconsiderate to delete links to unofficial versions.

23 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

I'm currently working on my game right now, and this is taking up most of my time along with my last year of Uni. As for 1.9, I have no time to push the update for at least two weeks, hopefully @Starwaster can get to it. It's not broken, you literally should be having a warning when the game starts warning you that the mod is disabled on the new version.

Good Luck with your new game @stupid_chris!!  Thanks for checking back and giving us all an update.

7 hours ago, StarkRG said:

Seems to me that the attribution and license both already exist by the link being in this thread and firegun saying the only change was to recompile it with the version changes. If there's not going to be an official release any time soon then it seems rather inconsiderate to delete links to unofficial versions.

Nope, it needs to be included with the download, both from the license and from the forum rules.

10 hours ago, StarkRG said:

There will be, but now, as always, try being patient. I've had PC troubles and I've only just recently got my development environment back to normal.

On 2/22/2020 at 1:51 AM, PeaceFighter said:

I got some kind of bug where i can't find the chutes (at least the starting ones) in the buildmenue.
I tried in in V 1.9 and 1.8.1 disabling the mod solved the problem.

Anyone else out there with the same issue?

Yes I do as well. You can still find the Chutes under the advanced tab Under Aerodynamics ---> Parachute Tab. (I know its not aerodynamics but I am sure you get the idea as it is in one of those Larger Categories and then you will see the Parachutes Tab under it and they will show.) If you are using FAR as well, make sure to update it since it just updated last night and the Chutes where not working at all with it. I am not sure if Realchutes is effecting the chutes in the game at all right now as I have yet to test since updating FAR but if not I will just uninstall until its updated, but I prefer Realchutes by far lol.

Edited by PCkarma112

1 hour ago, PCkarma112 said:

Yes I do as well. You can still find the Chutes under the advanced tab Under Aerodynamics ---> Parachute Tab. (I know its not aerodynamics but I am sure you get the idea as it is in one of those Larger Categories and then you will see the Parachutes Tab under it and they will show.) If you are using FAR as well, make sure to update it since it just updated last night and the Chutes where not working at all with it. I am not sure if Realchutes is effecting the chutes in the game at all right now as I have yet to test since updating FAR but if not I will just uninstall until its updated, but I prefer Realchutes by far lol.

I now found the chutes ty!

New to this mod, and this may be a stupid question but I couldn't figure out if the real chutes editor can tell you the max mass (or full deployed descent speed) of craft the current attached chute can handle for a given body with the given editor settings?  At the moment just seems to be a matter of trial and error in editing settings then pressing the apply button to see if get the "too heavy" message or not.  Am I missing something or is not possible to see somewhere the max mass for a given setup (setting and target body) and descent speed or lowest descent speed for a given mass and setup?

EDIT: Ok ignore this I'm being dumb.  I was thinking the editor should tell me how many chutes to attach but instead its working out the chute area etc

Edited by Kerolyov

I'm getting non-stop NREs in the editor when I try to use this patch for USI Sounding Rockets:

@PART[SR_Nosecone_35]:NEEDS[RealChute]
{
  maximum_drag = 0.32
  @category = none
  @mass = 0.005
  !sound_parachute_open
  !sound_parachute_single

!MODULE[ModuleParachute]{}

MODULE
  {
    name = RealChuteModule
    caseMass = 0.005
    timer = 0
    mustGoDown = true
    cutSpeed = 0.5
    spareChutes = 0

PARACHUTE
    {
      material = Nylon
      preDeployedDiameter = 1
      deployedDiameter = 8
      minIsPressure = false
      minPressure = 0.1
      minDeployment = 3000
      deploymentAlt = 500
      cutAlt = -1
      preDeploymentSpeed = 2
      deploymentSpeed = 8
      preDeploymentAnimation = PreDeploy
      deploymentAnimation = Deploy
      parachuteName = String
      capName = Cap
    }
  }

MODULE
  {
    name = ProceduralChute
    textureLibrary = StockReplacement
    currentCanopies = Main chute
  }	

EFFECTS
  {
    rcpredeploy
    {
      AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = sound_parachute_open
        volume = 1
      }
    }

rcdeploy
    {
      AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = sound_parachute_single
        volume = 1
      }
    }

rccut
    {
      AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_cut
        volume = 1
      }
    }

rcrepack
    {
      AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_repack
        volume = 1
      }
    }
  }
}
@PART[SR_Nosecone_625]:NEEDS[RealChute]
{
  maximum_drag = 0.32
  @category = none
  @mass = 0.01
  !sound_parachute_open
  !sound_parachute_single

!MODULE[ModuleParachute]{}

MODULE
  {
    name = RealChuteModule
    caseMass = 0.01
    timer = 0
    mustGoDown = true
    cutSpeed = 0.5
    spareChutes = 0

PARACHUTE
    {
      material = Nylon
      preDeployedDiameter = 2
      deployedDiameter = 16
      minIsPressure = false
      minPressure = 0.1
      minDeployment = 4000
      deploymentAlt = 600
      cutAlt = -1
      preDeploymentSpeed = 2
      deploymentSpeed = 8
      preDeploymentAnimation = PreDeploy
      deploymentAnimation = Deploy
      parachuteName = String
      capName = Cap
    }
  }

MODULE
  {
    name = ProceduralChute
    textureLibrary = StockReplacement
    currentCanopies = Main chute
  }	

EFFECTS
  {
    rcpredeploy
    {
      AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = sound_parachute_open
        volume = 1
      }
    }

rcdeploy
    {
      AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = sound_parachute_single
        volume = 1
      }
    }

rccut
      {
      AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_cut
        volume = 1
      }
    }

rcrepack
    {
      AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_repack
        volume = 1
      }
    }
  }
}

It's just a straight copy from the MM patches being used by RealChute itself and I've replaced the preDeploymentAnimation, deploymentAnimation, parachuteName and capName with the ones used in the USI part configs.

if I removed the ProceduralChute module entirely KSP still doesn't like it and the chute doesn't actually work but there is no NRE spam. I'm not sure what might be the proper values here tho

logs

so am I reading this right, the recompiled binaries that work have been removed from here due to a licensing problem with the distribution - it's just a recompile of an open source package, right?

Anyway, I guess I'll just recompile it myself for my own use, then, until a real version is released.. the existing version on CKAN definitely does not work in 1.9.1, and disables all actions on, staging of, and functionality of not just the realchute parts but the stock parachute parts as well (since this mod replaces all chute functionality), and, as people have mentioned, you can't find the parts in the editor unless you "dig" for them - but even if you find them, you can't stage or deploy the chutes, as-is.

@firegun from what I read above, you didn't modify anything, just fire it up in visual studio and recompile against 1.9.1's DLLs, correct?