KSP AmA Discussion thread

OrtwinS

The KSP team hosts an Ask Me Anything session on Reddit this Wednesday!

Start: 11 AM CST (17:00 UTC/GMT)

AmA thread: KSP AmA thread

KSPDevTeam posts: KSPDevTeam Posts

• Reading just the answers can be done on the KSPDevTeam page, you can derive the question most of the time.
  • The AmA thread itself contains EVERYTHING, so good luck plowing through :)
  • Scroll down to the second post for my personal selection of interesting answers (updated on the go).

This thread is to discuss the things you want to ask, or want someone else to ask for you (because you can't make it, or don't use Reddit).

And of course to discuss the answers we got when the AmA itself has long past.

Some subjects you might want to consider:

• Science Revisions (see last weeks dev notes for more info)
  • Tweakables (see also last weeks dev notes)
  • Spaceport 2.0
  • KSP Edu
  • Daniel (danRosas) animations for the new science UI (latest Dev notes)
  • 3D mouse support
  • Planned performance optimization
  • Planned future gameplay developments
  • Anything else KSP related! This is an 'Ask me us Anything' after all.

Things to keep in mind to prevent duplicating stuff:

The Planned Features List

If you are unfamiliar with how AmAs work, I noticed Tobjv made some good points in the Daily Kerbal announcement thread (I cleaned up his list a bit)

1. If you want to participate: Sign up before the AmA goes live so you can get used to Reddits lay out.

2. Realize that Squad doesn't have to answer your question or even acknowledge its existence.

3. Think of your question before hand and have it structurally sound and to the point.

Examples of something not cool to ask. Anything from these lists: What not to suggest

Already Suggested List

4. With the shear amount of people that will more than likely attend this AmA, Repeats of questions will be present. It is recommended to Ctrl-F (AKA Find command) your question and/or keywords before you post it to avoid cluttering the board with the same thing.

5. Linking additional info is fine just don't expect them to read the entire article. Taking snippets out for your question and just linking the article as a source in your main post is preferred.

6. If someone that is not squad asks for clarification on what you mean. You should do so. If it is confusing to others it could be confusing to Squad. Confusing questions tend to get over looked a lot.

That's all I got. Hope Y'all enjoy the AmA!

Edited by OrtwinS
additions, typos

Questions are being processed and answers are flowing in.

Read them in the AmA Answer page.

I took the liberty to select some of (what I think) the more notable answers:

Career: Contracts and Reputation

As for what's coming in the near future for Career Mode, We've got a couple of major features that we are already planning, which will be closely integrated with the existing gameplay, and I daresay if it all goes as planned, should make for a pretty awesome overall experience.

More specifically, we've got Contracts coming soon, which will let you take on proper objectives, to earn funds and reputation (or lose them) should you succeed (or fail).

Then there's the Funds and Reputation mechanic itself, which will require you to spend funds to launch ships or hire crews, and manage your space program's reputation to get better contract offers and generally keep Kerbalkind pleased with your progress towards conquering space.

This is just a very brief explanation of those features. We'll get into more detail on them as we get there.

About more Planets/Moons/other systems:

We've certainly thought about it a lot, but right now, we feel it's more important to have more things to do in the current solar system, than to go on adding more places that in the end will just be more variations of the same terrain system.

Take for instance when we first added docking, It gave a whole new importance to simply being in orbit around Kerbin. Or how with the addition of R&D, even landing on different spots on good old Kerbin now had all new purposes.

This is what I mean with 'more to do on the current system'. I think in the long run, these sorts of things will increase the depth of the gameplay far more than just adding more places to visit, without having new things to do when you get there.

Spaceport 2 ingame integration?

N3X15/Rob: This isn't planned for the current iteration, but we have built the system for adding this in the future. Right now, we're just focusing on delivering a usable website and cleaning up category spam.

Samssonart: Not right now, the back end will support it now though, so who knows.

About a 64-bit KSP build:

So far we haven't had good results with the 64-bit builds, they've mostly been unstable and crashing randomly.

We're always re-testing them on new Unity releases though, and lately, there's been a few good steps forward in that area, so a 64-bit build could be a reality in the not-too-distant future.

Got something you think is important? By all means: Discuss!

Edited by OrtwinS
updates! more updates!

But I'm not sure whether it is in the planned features somewhere - anyone knows something about this?

I hope it will be added in too. To both.

I'd like to ask a few things, but can't stay up all night tonight.

So if anyone else wants to raise similar things:

With eva requiring monopropellant, will there be some added to crew pods, or will it be that you need to bring it separately?

Were the changes to the terrain at the island with the airstrip intentional, or was the beach lost as a side effect of the terrain change to all of Kerbin?

Will the game be focused around scoring points, or are you going to add further levels to science, for a cooler experience?

It'd be cool if someone could throw those up for me. Thanks!

We have little over one hour to go, the actual location has not been created yet, though it will probably be posted in

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/, like FITorion said.

Due to an unexpected meeting I will NOT be available when it starts, so I will not be able to update the first 2 posts. I'll try to do that as soon as possible though.

I have one question:
Radiation - will it be implemented? If so, how are you planning to do this? Will it be integrated into life support or science system?

But I'm not sure whether it is in the planned features somewhere - anyone knows something about this?

Radiation, magnetic fields, and axial tilt would be cool. I kind of think the first two would kill the physics engine, or at least introduce unacceptable lag into the game. Still, it'd be neat to be able to use things like magnetorquers in the game.

I'd love for somebody to ask about how much internal work has been put into the aerodynamics and the robotics/moving parts bit of the game. Given that tweakables seems to provide a lot of the functionality that robotics might need in future, I'd love to know if there were any upcoming plans.

Why? It could be solved by having a radiation gradient map in-game; no calculations needed, you just receive X amount of radiation per Y unit of time. Unless you have special parts, that is.

CME would be a problem, however.

Heh. A coronal mass ejection would probably be a spectator event for Kerbals.

I guess you could do it as a gradient map, then maybe have a config value for how much radiation is acceptable for individual parts. Modules for things like pods or comms which might need special treatment.

What I noticed most is that apparently people DO NOT keep up with dev notes and/or blog posts.

Nor do they read lists with confirmed planned features.

Most questions thus far have the the usual ones.

Of course I don't expect all players to actively join this particular community. It's just an observation that the KSP forum and KSP Reddit communities are quite seperated, and there is probably a far bigger group of people who just lurk.

Rather sad, and a missed oppertunity: Harvester misintrepids a question about building rockets taking time. (Though the question was indeed not entirely clear)

HarvesteR: I assume this is about having time actually passing in the simulation while you’re building? I’m not sure I’d like to have that, since when you’re building a ship, you're focused on construction, and I wouldn't like it if the game kept interrupting me over things that are happening outside the construction facility. In KSP, you take on the role of many different ‘jobs’ on an actual space program. You get to be Mission Controller, Aerospace Engineer, victim intrepid Pilot, so the game helps you out in doing all those jobs yourself by leaving you free to not care about other areas while you’re focused on a single one.

I happen to be familiar with the topic. The original idea is that during the design game-time is still paused (like it is now). But when you press the 'Build' button (no launch button) it will take X game-time before the craft becomes available to you. (in the mean time you can warp, or control other flights, just like you would when waiting for something like a correction burn). The construction time would depend on factors such as # of parts, how many of the design you have build before, tech level etc.

Again: too bad Harvester didn't comment on that particular idea.

Edited by OrtwinS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.