[0.23]asmi's ECLSS Mod (current version - 1.0.15) - Life Support Mod

asmi

I love this mod and just thought I would stop in to say so and give some feedback!

I know asmi is not currently developing it but would anyone else consider taking up development in his stead? We really need a more optimized version. with a dozen satellites in space for the Remote Tech my frame-rate drops precariously low and I think I may have to uninstall this mod....

This mod would be cool but when i install it i get lag that is unplayable. I even tried removing remotetech to see if it was better and no dice. Oh well it was nice!

That's because it cycles through every vessel every frame checking for life support conditions. Utilizing every CPU core available.

He'd been talking about optimizing that but he's had RL problems that are more pressing than game problems. Hope things are well with him and his.

Quick question:

When I load up the eclss mod, my CO2 container starts to "fuel up" on the launch pad, is there any way to disable this refueling?

Do you also have Real Fuels or Modular Fuels? The support gantries have 'pumps' builtin that refill depleted resources. CO2 TANK needs to be flagged for refillable = false

There is no CO2 tank in Real Fuels so it must be in the ECLSS mod itself and I dont have it installed to look right now

Edit: Ooops, totally wrong. I found a RF config.

Try this: Make a file named ECLSS_CO2_TANK_patch.cfg

Edit it and paste the following code into it and then save

(oops, this is not the final version. Another edit coming soon)

edit #3?4?

Let's simplify this. The current code below will cycle through EVERY tank that has CO2 and set it to be unfillable. That shouldn't be a problem unless you install a mod that uses a resource named CO2 that you will actually need in your tanks. (final edit: make sure you have Module Manager 2.1.5)

@TANK_DEFINITION
[*]
{
@TANK[CO2]
{
%fillable = false
}
}

Edited by Starwaster

That's because it cycles through every vessel every frame checking for life support conditions. Utilizing every CPU core available.

He'd been talking about optimizing that but he's had RL problems that are more pressing than game problems. Hope things are well with him and his.

Do you also have Real Fuels or Modular Fuels? The support gantries have 'pumps' builtin that refill depleted resources. CO2 TANK needs to be flagged for refillable = false

There is no CO2 tank in Real Fuels so it must be in the ECLSS mod itself and I dont have it installed to look right now

Edit: Ooops, totally wrong. I found a RF config.

Try this: Make a file named ECLSS_CO2_TANK_patch.cfg

Edit it and paste the following code into it and then save

(oops, this is not the final version. Another edit coming soon)

edit #3?4?

Let's simplify this. The current code below will cycle through EVERY tank that has CO2 and set it to be unfillable. That shouldn't be a problem unless you install a mod that uses a resource named CO2 that you will actually need in your tanks. (final edit: make sure you have Module Manager 2.1.5)

@TANK_DEFINITION
[*]
{
@TANK[CO2]
{
%fillable = false
}
}

Ok I'm a little confused... should I create a file named eclss co2 tank cfg and paste the code above in it into the RF folder in the gamedata folder?

Ok I'm a little confused... should I create a file named eclss co2 tank cfg and paste the code above in it into the RF folder in the gamedata folder?

It shouldn't matter as long as it's in the KSP/GameData folder if you make a cfg file.

It shouldn't matter as long as it's in the KSP/GameData folder if you make a cfg file.

Just speaking for myself, I put things like that in my MyTweaks folder. I keep backups of that and it's one of the first things into a new install.

• 3 weeks later...
Had to remove this for .24. It instantly kills my kerbals as soon as they get over 12000m. Worked fine in .23.5 Anyone got a fix?

If you find that the Oxygen and CarbonDioxide amounts aren't tweakable in the VAB as well - you need to give them a cost or else the game doesn't recognise them as valid resources. Your Kerbals die at that specific altitude because ECLSS turns on consumption there, switches off atmospheric intake and proceeds to kill everyone because there's technically nothing to breathe anymore.

Place unitCost = 0.0 in the tanks or main resource definition config files, and tweak the price until you're happy with it :)

Is there anyone working on this mod?

This is an excellent mod, probably one of the most realistic coupled with Universal Storage. However, between killing Kerbals from O2 deprivation and graphics issues, this mod is not very sound right now.

IMHO, this is one of the greatest mods available.

If you find that the Oxygen and CarbonDioxide amounts aren't tweakable in the VAB as well - you need to give them a cost or else the game doesn't recognise them as valid resources. Your Kerbals die at that specific altitude because ECLSS turns on consumption there, switches off atmospheric intake and proceeds to kill everyone because there's technically nothing to breathe anymore.

Place unitCost = 0.0 in the tanks or main resource definition config files, and tweak the price until you're happy with it :)

Seems strange, no other mod that I use that has its own resources has that problem...

Seems strange, no other mod that I use that has its own resources has that problem...

Oh? It was my best guess, I assumed it was the reason US stopped seeing resources before Paul fixed it :|

Just so you know that this addons kills the FPS when this is installed in the 64 bit version of KSP. install this at your own risk

I also think it breaks menu controls (for example, storage menus) so that they can't be closed in VAB and malfunction in mission.

I want to have a look at things when work calms down a little, but that won't be for 2 weeks.

I love ECLSS and would like to help keep things at least ticking over until (hopefully) Asmi returns.

There's only so much I can do though, I'm not a developer. Also even though we have access to the source code the licence doesn't allow distribution of the mod or derivatives.

There is an abandonment clause, 30 days from date of attempted contact if no reply. But bearing in mind the reasoning behind Asmi taking a break I'm not willing to pester him or invoke the clause.

There is some work we can do via module manager files and I'm happy to try that approach. I'm on a 3 hour flight tomorrow to a customer and will see what I can do during that time.

If you're looking for alternatives, Starwaster has an active branch of IonCross life support which has O2 and CO2 build up and was a favorite of mine before ECLSS came along.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82084

Or if you like it really simple Interstellar Life Support is a simple mod with a single 'Life Support' resource.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81470-WIP-Plugin-23-5-Interstellar-Flight-Inc-Kerbal-Life-Support-Mod

There is an abandonment clause, 30 days from date of attempted contact if no reply. But bearing in mind the reasoning behind Asmi taking a break I'm not willing to pester him or invoke the clause.

Or.. you could leave a message ostensibly for him in this thread and wait. I'm sure he doesn't care about mods at this point. "Pestering" is irrelevant if he doesn't even visit the forum.

There is some work we can do via module manager files and I'm happy to try that approach. I'm on a 3 hour flight tomorrow to a customer and will see what I can do during that time.

Would tweaking part costs be covered by this and something you're interested in approaching? I haven't done any long missions that required use of the O2 regenerator (or anything fancier than just slapping on some extra O2 tanks for that matter), so the uniform price for all ECLSS parts is the biggest "break" I see right now.

Believe it or not I tried putting that code in the resource.cfg for ECLSS it didnt make any changes.

Here is the resource.cfg code that I modified

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Oxygen
density = 0.00000143
unitCost = 0.8
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = CO2
density = 0.000001969
unitCost = 0.8
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = O2 Candle
density = 0.03
unitCost = 0.8
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
}

I hope asmi comes back soon, because the modding community is going through hell right now

Edited by zgrillo2004