[0.23]asmi's ECLSS Mod (current version - 1.0.15) - Life Support Mod

asmi

So is it me, or does this mod seem to be a little too hardcore? With 700 units of oxygen, my crew of two is about to die after 2 days of being out of atmosphere, even with CO2 scrubbers. Anyone else think the mode needs to be balanced a bit more? Even the apollo crew had enough oxygen to survive for almost two weeks. My craft is even larger than that.

So is it me, or does this mod seem to be a little too hardcore? With 700 units of oxygen, my crew of two is about to die after 2 days of being out of atmosphere, even with CO2 scrubbers. Anyone else think the mode needs to be balanced a bit more? Even the apollo crew had enough oxygen to survive for almost two weeks. My craft is even larger than that.

There was a re-balanced cfg on a post some where.

EDIT here it is -

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58127-0-23-asmi-s-ECLSS-Mod-%28current-version-1-0-15%29-Life-Support-Mod?p=883321&viewfull=1#post883321

Edited by Mecripp2

I don't know is this answered yet, but in the map mode impossible to close, or minimalize the ECLSS panel. Are there any solution?

Actually, if you recenter the view on a non-ship object (ie Kerbin) the window will go away. Not exactly a fix, but it works if you want it... >_>

In regards to our RCS bug, IE:

Hello, I'm currently having an issue where, after an EVA, upon re-entering the pod, the Oxygen/Monopropellant a Kerbal took with him is not returned (it appears to be lost to space). Anybody else having this issue?

I just realized that I don't think I've seen anyone post the workaround I've been using. If you use the right-click menu to disable flow from a mono tank (click the green arrow) then a kerbal will not remove mono from that tank when they exit the craft. I've been using this fact in conjunction with some of the 10 unit tanks from the KSPX mod to prevent my kerbals from emptying the entire mono supply whenever they leave for a walk.

I just turn off all but one tank and the command pod so that only twenty units are available, and then when I get back I refill those two tanks by pumping manually from the ones that are turned off. It's been working like a charm so far, although I have to be careful when docking two vessels, since that will usually add at least another ten units to the supply a kerbal will pull from.

Edit: Although now that I re-read that quote it looks like either Thrombo misinterpreted or has encountered a new problem. Oxygen should be unaffected, and the known bug is that the ship will be empty except for what the kerbal returned when he got back into the ship.

Fantastic mod - though I do admit to slightly changing the textures because the blues were a little too acid :sealed:

wjoQFrm.jpg

Any word on adding tweakable attributes to the tanks in the VAB\SPH?

Fantastic mod - though I do admit to slightly changing the textures because the blues were a little too acid :sealed:

http://i.imgur.com/wjoQFrm.jpg

Any word on adding tweakable attributes to the tanks in the VAB\SPH?

IIRC there is an line you can add to the config to the results you want. But I have no idea what it is :huh:

Edited by team.leit

Has anyone had any headway fixing the "stuck windows" bug? I think it's linked with losing the ability to terminate spacecraft in the tracking menu--you can't close a window opened up in the assembly area (like KAS storage containers for example). You have to quit out instead. A fairly big interface problem if you're using any part with that feature.

Has there been any discussion on making manned pods consume electricity much like the unmanned probes currently do? As it stands you only need electric charge for the converter, but electricity should be used for climate control, sensors, basic telemetry, and other types of base functions. Just something simple like this:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[1]]:Final
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGenerator
isAlwaysActive = true
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = -0.04 // 0.04 for basic systems support per kerbal with RealismOverhaul numbers
}
}
}

Has there been any discussion on making manned pods consume electricity much like the unmanned probes currently do? As it stands you only need electric charge for the converter, but electricity should be used for climate control, sensors, basic telemetry, and other types of base functions

I've made a conscious decision not to consume electricity for basic functions since that would either lead to nonsensical results like kerbals dying 'cause they run out of power (Hello, Mir! guys there would be dead if that was true.), or require more realistic simulation of internal atmosphere.

You should share these for people who want to use a lighter blue.

I'd be happy to, the licence says its ok :) Bear in mind I've first downloaded and implemented this for reducing the part size and improving the balancing, so you might need to use this first.

I've converted the files from .mbm's to .png's and modified the model.mu files to recognise the change - so overwrite everything when you copy them over the old ones. I've only done the oxygen tanks and the regenerator, and somethings happened to the textures around the large "O2" logo on the large tank, but its not that noticeable.

Linky :)

EDIT: Re-read the license, not too sure if i'm allowed to do this? Is it ok asmi?

Edited by Daishi
Re-read the license.

I've made a conscious decision not to consume electricity for basic functions since that would either lead to nonsensical results like kerbals dying 'cause they run out of power (Hello, Mir! guys there would be dead if that was true.), or require more realistic simulation of internal atmosphere.

asmi- what about electricity running the Oxygen pumps? So when electricity goes out, Oxygen stops pumping and there's an xx amount of time before the Kerbal suffocates based on the amount of air in the capsule? Or better yet, when electricity runs out or fails, the Kerbals have 5 hours to get electricity running again before they suffocate.

Has there been any discussion on making manned pods consume electricity much like the unmanned probes currently do? As it stands you only need electric charge for the converter, but electricity should be used for climate control, sensors, basic telemetry, and other types of base functions. Just something simple like this:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[1]]:Final
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGenerator
isAlwaysActive = true
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = -0.04 // 0.04 for basic systems support per kerbal with RealismOverhaul numbers
}
}
}

You don't need the ModuleGenerator for this. I'm using:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[1]]
{
@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
{
@amount = 7200
@maxAmount = 7200
}

@MODULE[ModuleCommand]
{
RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.04
}
}

for my realism patch (+ way less powerful energy generation to balance it out). My pods have about 2 days and 2 hours worth of energy. After that they are uncontrollable and the kerbal will suffocate if no one rescues him.

Btw. how is the development of V2 going?

asmi- what about electricity running the Oxygen pumps? So when electricity goes out, Oxygen stops pumping and there's an xx amount of time before the Kerbal suffocates based on the amount of air in the capsule? Or better yet, when electricity runs out or fails, the Kerbals have 5 hours to get electricity running again before they suffocate.

I like this idea. Doesn't take away the fun, but also add in some more realism.

Chestburster, thanks I'll use that for for realisitc energy drain.

Rather than "xx" amount of time, maybe it'd be better to base this on amount of air in the capsule? Active ventilation is needed to remove CO2 and distribute oxygen across the station, if you've got air in the capsule/module you're currently in, you'll be fine. Electricity will certainly be needed for other things, though, like thermal control, water processing and processing LOX into GOX (some spacecraft might have a LOX-based oxygen supply).

Rather than "xx" amount of time, maybe it'd be better to base this on amount of air in the capsule? Active ventilation is needed to remove CO2 and distribute oxygen across the station, if you've got air in the capsule/module you're currently in, you'll be fine. Electricity will certainly be needed for other things, though, like thermal control, water processing and processing LOX into GOX (some spacecraft might have a LOX-based oxygen supply).

And that's exactly what I meant when I said

or require more realistic simulation of internal atmosphere

Well, my idea of simulating this would be to simply disable flow of oxygen while you're out of electricity. It's a reasonable assumption anyway, if you've got air stored in the same part as Kerbals, they'll be able to access it easily. If it's in another part (say, an external tank or another module), then active ventilation is required. This doesn't cover all imaginable cases, but is a reasonable approximation. Of course, this wouldn't stop you from manually pumping oxygen/CO2 around the station, but I think you could say that manual pumps and valves are provided as a part of emergency equipment and operated by Kerbals when you do that.

Edited by Guest

Yeah I think having some set amount of time a Kerbal will live once electricity runs out, while not optimal, would still be better than have no electricity requirement whatsoever. The only problem I can foresee with this is will a ship still charge up on electricity if using solar panels and is nonactive/on rails?

Edited by Scripto23

Yeah I think having some set amount of time a Kerbal will live once electricity runs out, while not optimal, would still be better than have no electricity requirement whatsoever.

Yes, this was the point of my post. Have "some" required use of electricity, even if not entirely accurate, is better than none at all.

Has anyone had any headway fixing the "stuck windows" bug? I think it's linked with losing the ability to terminate spacecraft in the tracking menu--you can't close a window opened up in the assembly area (like KAS storage containers for example). You have to quit out instead. A fairly big interface problem if you're using any part with that feature.

Sorry to self-quote, but has anyone made anything of this glitch?

Sorry to self-quote, but has anyone made anything of this glitch?

It certainly is a thing..You will get the famed null reference exception error. I can't tell you anything to fix it however. Here's hoping the mod author sees this.

Yeah I think having some set amount of time a Kerbal will live once electricity runs out, while not optimal, would still be better than have no electricity requirement whatsoever. The only problem I can foresee with this is will a ship still charge up on electricity if using solar panels and is nonactive/on rails?

Eh, did you miss my previous post? Electricity would be best used for oxygen flow. No power, no flow, but if you've got some other supply (oxygen bottles and candles, cabin air), you'll be fine unless thermal control fails.

Eh, did you miss my previous post? Electricity would be best used for oxygen flow. No power, no flow, but if you've got some other supply (oxygen bottles and candles, cabin air), you'll be fine unless thermal control fails.

Yes I see that you would still have air without power, but how do you handle thermal control, CO2 scrubbers. etc without electricity? What I'm saying is one way or another Kerbals cannot live indefinitely without electricity. Look at Apollo 13, they nearly died from cold because they had only the bare minimum power to fit their life support requirements. And the easiest way to implement this in game would be to just have a set time that Kerbals can go without power before it either gets restored or they die.

Thermal control is a separate issue entirely, and requires a proper, rather complex system to be believable. Perhaps KSPI could help with this, but either way, heat management isn't as simple as "you freeze without power". Depending on your situation, you may have too much or too little heat, but it's a rather complex problem.

s for CO2 scrubbers, they're in most cases chemical devices, which can function without power. Not all of them work like that, but there should be an emergency chemical scrubber available at all times.