[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

Hey MedievalNerd,

I'm working on an new Realism Overhaul cfg for Remote Tech 2, and I want it to fit in with your tech tree. Can you show me the order in which antennas unlock, or which nodes they unlock at?

I want to have a realistic progression (low power VHF, UFH antennas first, then the first C and S Band dishes, then large, high power, high bitrate X and Ku/Ka Band dishes).

I want to makes sure they unlock in a way that makes sense with the rest of the tree.

Wow, ok!

I was going to do an arbitrary pass on the ranges and make it gamey due to my lack of extensive knowledge of antennas/dish power usage/range. You tell me how many nodes you'd see for each Antenna and Dishes, and i'll make names for them for you. How far along are you in this epic quest of yours? If you are close to finishing it, I'll hold on my gamey pass and we'll go with your ranges/nodes, etc.

Cheers!

I've noticed a problem with the RSS stuff round Duna (Mars), the positions of phobos/deimos seems a bit indeterminate. I get a 2km fly past but my probe explodes in clear space saying it collided. As you enter the SoI, it sort of jumps from one place to another.

I've noticed a problem with the RSS stuff round Duna (Mars), the positions of phobos/deimos seems a bit indeterminate. I get a 2km fly past but my probe explodes in clear space saying it collided. As you enter the SoI, it sort of jumps from one place to another.

Hehe,

Good job on getting there! :) I've talked to Nathan about this, there is an PQS/Mesh issue with those 2 moons. Feel free to post a reminder of thins on the RSS thread, but I think Nathan is pretty busy IRL right now.

Hehe,

Good job on getting there! :) I've talked to Nathan about this, there is an PQS/Mesh issue with those 2 moons. Feel free to post a reminder of thins on the RSS thread, but I think Nathan is pretty busy IRL right now.

Ah good, it's a known problem then. They are rather difficult to get close to (Gillys SoI is about 16km radius) without the damn things jumping about ;)

The first nuclear engine sure is garbage. :( I spent all the science from Mars on it and it's ridiculously heavy, liquid methane seems to give the best delta v to mass/bulk ratio but even that ends up weighing over 36 tons for 8.1 dV (designed as a dockable power unit). Getting this into orbit is going to be "challenging"

Wow, ok!

I was going to do an arbitrary pass on the ranges and make it gamey due to my lack of extensive knowledge of antennas/dish power usage/range. You tell me how many nodes you'd see for each Antenna and Dishes, and i'll make names for them for you. How far along are you in this epic quest of yours? If you are close to finishing it, I'll hold on my gamey pass and we'll go with your ranges/nodes, etc.

Cheers!

I'm almost done, I just need to figure out the correct power usage. I imagine them fitting into your existing node structure, so your first node (1950s?) would unlock the short range omnis, next node(early 1960s?) is better omnis and early dishes...etc. That's why I asked for what year ranges your nodes cover. Then you can just plop them in without having to change anything.

I'm almost done, I just need to figure out the correct power usage. I imagine them fitting into your existing node structure, so your first node (1950s?) would unlock the short range omnis, next node(early 1960s?) is better omnis and early dishes...etc. That's why I asked for what year ranges your nodes cover. Then you can just plop them in without having to change anything.

I intended on making a seperate mini tree for them, so tell me how many nodes you want. :)

We could go for 8 tiers like the others, I don't mind. It's just a question of not having to add omnis/dishes just to fill nodes, y'know?

Cheers,

I flew past at 168m true altitude and it was still 'Space high over Gilly'. So much for grab some science with a fly by.

Huh? Hmm... I wasnt' able to test those 2 moons when I was working on those values with Nathan. Since I would usually insta gib if I tried to warp within it's SOI. (Don't remember which one, but one of them has these EPIC spikes, completely insane.)

Huh? Hmm... I wasnt' able to test those 2 moons when I was working on those values with Nathan. Since I would usually insta gib if I tried to warp within it's SOI. (Don't remember which one, but one of them has these EPIC spikes, completely insane.)

Yep, that's the one. It took me a few tries but coming in at a low angle and doing some 'seat of pants' flying (the map and orbits lie) let be scrape past between 2 peaks.

Yep, that's the one. It took me a few tries but coming in at a low angle and doing some 'seat of pants' flying (the map and orbits lie) let be scrape past between 2 peaks.

I'm pretty impressed you managed to pulled that off by actually flying there, I was HyperEditing the crap out of those tests. Would have taken forever to check all the bodies..... O_O

Hey Medieval, take a look at this. Everything in black is what I've changed and and pretty much set with. Everything in red or blank has yet to be changed or decided. Let me know what you think. I just want to make sure the nodes are balanced so that when you unlock rockets capable of getting to the Mun, and Munar experiments, you have an antenna that can reach that far. Same goes for Duna/Eve...etc. I want to make sure you get the right antennas when you can use them, but not before they are useful. Wh0huDe.png

Hey Medieval, take a look at this. Everything in black is what I've changed and and pretty much set with. Everything in red or blank has yet to be changed or decided. Let me know what you think. I just want to make sure the nodes are balanced so that when you unlock rockets capable of getting to the Mun, and Munar experiments, you have an antenna that can reach that far. Same goes for Duna/Eve...etc. I want to make sure you get the right antennas when you can use them, but not before they are useful. http://i.imgur.com/Wh0huDe.png

Total Rockstar!

I'm still on the clock right now so I can't check it out, but I'm sort of taking a day off-ish tomorrow. So I'll check this out!

You rock good sir, or madam! B)

I managed to get my first RPL nuclear power section into orbit (just). 41.5 tonnes makes it my largest RSS payload so far. Now to decide where this mission is headed and build the command section to fit. The mass of the LVN is quite a limiter but the constant charge output is pleasant.

rVo3tPg.jpg

Hello again guys!

I hate to be the asshole, but I have to ask: when are you planning to release MS19?

I'm assuming MS19 will be balanced for a mostly realistic Career mode, that's why I'm holding my Realism Overhaul Career mode. Am I right?

I don't want to rush anything of course, hell, work on it another year if that's needed. I'm asking because I visit the forums for 2-3 times a day, 10 at weekends.

So if you say 2014 Q2, I'll stop visiting the forums until April :) At that frequency at least..

Also: that's some fine rocket Ratzap! :)

Hello again guys!

I hate to be the asshole, but I have to ask: when are you planning to release MS19?

I'm assuming MS19 will be balanced for a mostly realistic Career mode, that's why I'm holding my Realism Overhaul Career mode. Am I right?

I don't want to rush anything of course, hell, work on it another year if that's needed. I'm asking because I visit the forums for 2-3 times a day, 10 at weekends.

So if you say 2014 Q2, I'll stop visiting the forums until April :) At that frequency at least..

Also: that's some fine rocket Ratzap! :)

OMG WHAT AN A-HOLE! lol

I feel like the a-hole to be honest. Bit on more than I could chew and woopee! + funky IRL times. All is well, plus our wonderful friend Bronklyn666 has done an amazing job with an overhaul of range and power con. of antennas/dishes. Which just saved me loads of work. The pessimist in me would say within the month, we'd see a hopefully not too buggy MS19 peek it's ugly head out! boo!

:)

I'm building the mega desk for me, and my wife's PC today. And I'm finally getting my 3rd monitor on Monday, out of the 3 I ordered 2 of them had red pixels in the middle of the screen. Fuuuu!

This is the last weekend where I had 'stuff to do', so I'll be firing all engines very shortly. Next stop, sun escape orbit!

Thanks for the update! If it is possible I (and probably others as well) would be willing to help, similar to what Bronklyn666 has already done. Feel free to outsource! Though I apologize in advance, but I can't help assemble your desk over the internet ;.;

Thanks for the update! If it is possible I (and probably others as well) would be willing to help, similar to what Bronklyn666 has already done. Feel free to outsource! Though I apologize in advance, but I can't help assemble your desk over the internet ;.;

What!? You mean you can't teleport yourself?! How rude! lol (Sorry going on the same theme as the last post)

No worries, the desk will actually expedite the process, not to mention the 3rd screen... finally all 1920x1080 screens! Can't wait!

I also love doing the kind of stuff Bronklyn666 did; if you pointed out areas that need love, I'd be happy to look into it and learn whatever real science is needed!

I also have the desire to play (if not the motivation to make it myself) a Real Progression Lite Lite, which would have a greater focus on curating a mix of parts from all these mods that cuts out extraneous and duplicate part types that mostly clog up the part list and kind of drain my creativity. Perhaps also taking some inspiration from BTSM with tighter progression.

Yet another project I'm daydreaming about (perhaps in combination with the above) would be to have a tree and universe that starts out not in 1950, but around 2010 or so, with the current suite of vehicles and tech currently in common usage. The first few nodes would unlock the SpaceX parts, and progress to Near Future Propulsion and KSPI.

Edited by curiousepic

I also have the desire to play (if not the motivation to make it myself) a Real Progression Lite Lite, which would have a greater focus on curating a mix of parts from all these mods that cuts out extraneous and duplicate part types that mostly clog up the part list and kind of drain my creativity. Perhaps also taking some inspiration from BTSM with tighter progression.

I for one am going to have to do something like this if FASA is required, as I said before it has a ton of unnecessary parts unless you are doing a historical kerbal build using it as about your only mod. If anyone could point out a way that would do it systematically instead of manually deleting folders, I would be willing to take a whack at publishing my attempts at such. I suppose I could write a java script to do such, but it would be highly dependent on the file structure remaining the same. If nothing else maybe we can make a google document spreadsheet of which folders/parts we feel as a group are unnecessary.

Absolutely, I'm currently playing with only FASA Launch Towers.

I tried messing with the old Tree Editor to thin out some stuff, but ended up messing up my tree and had to manually edit my persistence file to restore my actual progress.

I decided to extend my comms network with the nuclear power sections making later science gathering easier. With 5 fully independent satellites per ship and a ship per planet, it should give me pretty good coverage. Then I realised half my fuel would be gone just getting from low orbit out of Kerbins SoI. So the next plan is building a refueling station at the edge of the SoI, top them off there and send them on their merry way.

Mind you, if RPL 19 is going to mean a complete fresh start, tell me now and save me the effort eh?

Mv4pzyA.jpg

Impressive ship!

Has anyone else had an issue with KW fairings only half-ejecting (one shell ejecting fine and the other only decoupling?) This is killing me, since they are the only decent payload fairings available initially.

Impressive ship!

Has anyone else had an issue with KW fairings only half-ejecting (one shell ejecting fine and the other only decoupling?) This is killing me, since they are the only decent payload fairings available initially.

Are you using action groups? Make sure you don't click on the fairings after you assign the action group. If, say, you set the fairing ejection as action group 1, then take off the fairings for whatever reason, and put them back on, only the one you clicked on will keep its action group assignment.

OMG WHAT AN A-HOLE! lol

I feel like the a-hole to be honest. Bit on more than I could chew and woopee! + funky IRL times. All is well, plus our wonderful friend Bronklyn666 has done an amazing job with an overhaul of range and power con. of antennas/dishes. Which just saved me loads of work. The pessimist in me would say within the month, we'd see a hopefully not too buggy MS19 peek it's ugly head out! boo!

:)

I'm building the mega desk for me, and my wife's PC today. And I'm finally getting my 3rd monitor on Monday, out of the 3 I ordered 2 of them had red pixels in the middle of the screen. Fuuuu!

This is the last weekend where I had 'stuff to do', so I'll be firing all engines very shortly. Next stop, sun escape orbit!

Take your time! that gives me some time to work on my RT2 edits, although as far as the tree goes, it only matters that the antennas unlock in the right nodes. If anyone is interested in what I'm working on, check out the Realism Overhaul thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.