[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

Hi MedievalNerd,

1. About FASA, the 3.73 is no more released, it is now only the FASA 3.86 with parts for LEM and Saturn 1B wich is released. Will you include it also in the new techtree ?

2. My other question is : Is it possible to play your mod with the RSS 10x Rescaled stock-Kerbol system by jsimmons (still using same emplacement of planets and moon as stock, but resized) without make other changes in the files ?

Thank you for the job and this awesome Techtree !

Are you using action groups? Make sure you don't click on the fairings after you assign the action group. If, say, you set the fairing ejection as action group 1, then take off the fairings for whatever reason, and put them back on, only the one you clicked on will keep its action group assignment.

No action groups, just normal staging. I've done many launches with many different vehicles and I always get this.

2. My other question is : Is it possible to play your mod with the RSS 10x Rescaled stock-Kerbol system by jsimmons (still using same emplacement of planets and moon as stock, but resized) without make other changes in the files ?

Yes. You may have slightly higher payload fractions than real life, though, since Earth is more like 11x Kerbin.

Yes. You may have slightly higher payload fractions than real life, though, since Earth is more like 11x Kerbin.

I too would prefer the Kerbol system like kiko so that's good to know. The problem with integrating it would be the science distribution aspect I would think, Minmus being missing for example takes a huge chunk of science away from the Kerbin area. Balancing RPL to accommodate both RSS and real size kerbol might be work (but maybe not). It'd be a nice option for sure.

@Curious epic, I can't give you any advice on those but if I were you I'd just use the procedural fairings mod. I've never had any problems with it and they automatically resize for any payload

Yeah, though I really enjoy engineering payloads to fit inside fairings of set size.

Welp, I unlocked the node with AIES fairings and I was hoping they would work better, but the "sepratron" part was not in this node! I guess I'll try to find it and unlock it manually.

EDIT: Umm, well the AIES SEP1-A1-UR5 should have unlocked with Advanced Construction along with the AIES fairings, but I can't find it in the part list...

EDIT EDIT: In fact, the tree.cfg has the AIES SEP1-A1-UR5 in "Auxilliary SRBs". Um. I vote to move this to the node with the AIES fairings.

Edited by curiousepic

Hi all. New to the forum but have been enjoying ksp & the realism overhaul for a while now. Really enjoying it. I have just about completed all unmanned science tasks around the Moon and have a few questions please:

1)The 'superstretchy' fuel tanks, do these unlock in the tech tree? I have 5m maximum. So I have a lot of engines that are way too big for the biggest fuel tanks I have. I am on about tech level 4 or 5 in rocketry.

2)Same with the Stretchy SRB's, these are locked at 1.25m or there abouts at the moment, I am on level 2, does the width adjuster get unlocked with the tree also?

3)What is a good re-entry profile for the mk1 lander? I managed to get my probes back by aero braking and periapsis of around 65km from the moon, they just about made it! But seems a bit harsh for manned pods.

4)The only downside I have is the terrain on Mun and Kerbin is all very flat and boring, also some clipping issues with lander feet on moon, is that the part (AIES legs) or the terrain due to rescaling? Is there a way to use

the whole package, (DRE,FAR,Realfuels, etc) with stock planets and still retain the challenge level? Purely for interesting landscapes again!

I am really enjoying the realism overhaul and this career mode. I have done a lot of modding for other games so I know the work that goes in. I have already made myself a new navball, but I am enjoying plying too much to start modding, yet!

Thanks for all your hard work!

duckhunt

1,2: GameData/StretchyTanks/Parts/tech.cfg defines the tech nodes and what diameter tanks they allow (SRBs will have half this diameter). Since MS18 was released prior to this, the nodes don't quite line up right; in MS19 MedievalNerd will include a patch so that Stretchy has a more natural progression. For now, you can increase the diameter on the start = line...

3. Do you mean the Mk1 pod? I wouldn't try reentries with the lander cans...for the pod, you really shouldn't be going translunar with the Mk1 since it's limited to ballistic reentries. The Mk1-2 has an offset center of mass to allow lifting reentries, which will lower the Gs suffered. Anyway, 65 sounds a little low; maybe you could try 75? Have to try and see, really.

4. Are you using RSS v6pre, or RSS v5.5.? v6pre has the real Earth's terrain (more or less) and much less flat terrain, although still far from perfect. But nearly all the parameters are exposed in the CFG, so you can tweak it farther...

Hi, Anyone have a basically accurate biome map of Earth we can use with this prerelease of RSS that makes Kerbin truly look like Earth (ITS AWESOME!)? It would be nice to have the oceans/land seen by instruments as what they roughly are in real life. Has anyone done this already and i somehow missed it? I posted it in both the RSS area and here, as i assumed these are the 2 places where its most in use/being talked about.

For anyone having issues with the whole pre release real earth thing, this is what i found after a few hours of fiddling:

Custom biome for map for "custom biome mod" made by amo28 >> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7pmxVerCUnWX0QxUnJSOEp5UUU/edit

RSS v6_pre1 Download >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/wt7bh2g4g7u8ykd/RealSolarSystem_v6_pre1.zip

City lights and clouds fpr "real earth"m Copy the BoulderCo folder from linked zip file into your GameData folder and let it OVERWRITE the original stuff already there, except for anything related to texture compressor mod that also resides in the "BoulderCo" folder (if you use the compressor mod found here) https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygxgxouxrpxi6zl/EarthLights.zip

And finally edit the remotetech_settings.cfg file as so:

ConsumptionMultiplier = 0.1

RangeMultiplier = 10

ActiveVesselGuid = 35b89a0d664c43c6bec8d0840afc97b2

SpeedOfLight = 3E+08

MapFilter = Omni, Dish, Planet, Path

EnableSignalDelay = False

RangeModelType = Additive

MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 0

ThrottleTimeWarp = True

DishConnectionColor = 0.9960784,0.7019608,0.03137255,1

OmniConnectionColor = 0.5529412,0.5176471,0.4078431,1

ActiveConnectionColor = 0.6588235,1,0.01568628,1

NathanKell_MultipleAntennaSupport = True

GroundStations

{

STATION

{

Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc488

Name = Mission Control

Latitude = 28.608389

Longitude = -80.604333

Height = 75

Body = 1

Antennas

{

ANTENNA

{

Omni = 7.5E+07

}

}

}

}

As a note these files are the creations of other users, not I, please respect the work they did (and that i did not do)

IF ANY ONE HAS A RT2 cfg FILE FOR THE "EXPLORER" PROBE CORE (from FASA i think?) CAN YOU PLEASE SHARE IT? currently it is immune to needing comms contact and allows an option to mess around with the flow of progression, would be nice to find a posted fix, also if anyone knows how to edit its science def so that can transmit/recover both at 100% and to be reusable (as its just a geiger counter reading) that would be very helpful, thanks alot

Edited by Guest

I recently started playing with this tree and I have to say after trying out a whole bunch of different tech trees (and toying with throwing some together on my own), this is the one I'll stick with. The layout and costs are logical AND gameplay-friendly, and I was struck with how much more sane my "early days" constructions end up looking, and how much less "grindy" the Science and progression feel compared to other trees.

Disclaimer: I don't play with either RSS or RealFuels so I know I'm not truly getting the "intended experience" with this tree, and since RealFuels is listed as an essential mod, I'm aware I might run into problems at some point.

Anyway - my main reason for posting is that I think the specialized experiments/probe cores are a brilliant idea and a large component of the "grind reduction" (also, finally a _reason_ to use something other than the Octos). However, I find the current "per-planet/moon" specificity too restrictive; I think a better approach would be for the probes to be optimized for a world "type" than a specific world. This may be a little less "realistic" (since IRL, probes are always custom-built for the specific mission), but I think it will make for better gameplay, since you will end up with a "set" of probes for different conditions, and if additional planets are added via PlanetFactory or eventually by Squad, you can use this "set" of probes on these new worlds too, as long as you pick one that is optimized for the conditions of that "type" of planet/moon.

I got tired of waiting for the release of 19 (no offense intended!) and am giving 18 a go.

I'm not using RSS/RO/RF and am nevertheless having a great time. I am using TAC life support and RemoteTech2, and although I'm only just beginning to do manned missions after spending a lot of time getting my communication networks setup and exploring various places with probes, I've found this tree to be really well done, providing a rewarding and challenging progression through the early game. I fear that things will become a bit less challenging now that I have my comm network just about finished, but I am also starting to unlock some of the interstellar parts, which will hopefully keep things interesting.

I'm having an issue with my custom tree, maybe someone can help. I make a new game, select stock tree, then leave. I Alt-Tab and paste in my tree.cfg. I go back in game and load my save. I can go into the research center and research my first node and everything seems fine until I go into the VAB or SPH. My Tac Life support toolbar icon goes away and it will never come back for that save game. Even worse is after I make a rover to collect temperatures around KSP, I reclaim the vehicle and I don't get any science. sometimes it will give me the recovery science but never the science for my sensor readings. Even still, if I go into the research center and research my second node, it reverts back to only the start node if I go to the space center and back to the research center, and the science I spent is still gone.

I have tried to isolate the problem, but I can't. It doesn't happen with any other tree.cfg, only mine.

The log file only gives me

[LOG 16:35:13.460] editor started

[LOG 16:35:13.475] Untitled Space Craft - Untitled Space Craft

[EXC 16:35:13.752] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.

and I can't figure out what it's trying to tell me.

Any help would be fantastic

I have managed to get the FASA explorer probe to have RT2 compatibility (same range as other probes), matched its base/cap science values, made its data "collectable", set its transmit to 100% and added the RPL probe reading experiment to it (also made it re-runnable, seemed fitting) LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT THESE FILES

I have also, for all un-tweaked science defs (for all the science parts from all the listed mods, plus SCANsat), matched their base/cap science values, made their data "collectable", set their transmit to 100% unless experiment has a "physical componet" like the sci jr/goo (i believe i got everything) LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT THESE FILES

The remaining things that will need a tweaking are: the Soyuz solar panels, AIES comms parts RT2 compatibility (its probes may need a look over to make sure they have the RPL probe reading & RT2 compatibility)

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO HELP EDIT THESE FILES I'm not exactly sure how to go about editing them so they in compliance with RPL ranges, power use/generation

The 5 mods i would like to see added to the RPL mod list are: (along with texture reducing packs for novapunch, kw rocketry & squad. Plus the Active Texture Management mod,

1. SCANSat (its very useful to locate how close you are to biome boarder, create nice maps, ect... and it seems to drop mapping scanners into the "correct" techtree slots by itself)

2. RasterPropMonitor (its got loads of useful info screens and external cameras, has an available fix for FASA pods and the FASA "remote crew report" camera )

3. Custom Biomes with the "real earth" files (for the new RSS real earth to make sense map/location wise, also adds some biomes to other bodies)

4. Probe Control Room IVA (very realistic feeling and has RasterProp support)

5. VOID (Helpful to know what biome & longitude/latitude your currently over)

If anyone notices any "needs tweaking" files, to help bring parts/experiments/RT2 settings for mods existing on the RPL mod list in to compliance with RPL, Please suggest them to me or provide the edited files.

Note on any files i have edited you might get >> I am not exactly proficient with editing cfg files but the ones i have edited seem to work fine in my install.

I figured that if we, the players of RPL, all chipped in with tracking down "needs to be done" settings, cfg's, "useless/redundant" parts (ICBM warheads??) and fixed them ourselves (if i can manage a blind drunk monkey could do it with a few google searches) we could get rid of all the time consuming hunting of these things via crowd sourcing the effort, which should help Medieval Nerd to only have to work on his vision of RPL custom experiments

The 2 biggest issues, that i dont know if i can fix, seem to be the Soyuz solar panels & AIES comms parts so if anyone is knows how medieval/nathan setup solar panels power generation and remotetech2 ranges/power use (to keep them from being redundant/OP or unusable) these would be the best places to start, then someone to help compose a list "useless/redundant" parts that could be deleted safely.

Sorry for the run-on multi-topic post

Edited by Guest
tried to reduce run-on comments lol

I figured it out!

I'm going to explain in case it helps anyone else. Because I first have to start a game with the stock tree, then exit to paste my tree in, the persistent file already had a ResearchAndDevelopement Tech entry. The problem was when I re-entered the game and researched my tree's first node, the original tech entry from the stock tree was renamed to my tree's first tech entry while also adding it again. So I had redundant tech entries in my persistent file. The Cause is because I used the default start node in my tree but I renamed it. The fix without changing my tree was to leave the game after loading in my tree and researching my first node, opening the persistent file and deleting the redundant tech entry- leaving only my tree's first node available. If anyone else has this issue and intends to share their tree, I suggest including the fixed persistent file.

As another question to other players: where do you think the FASA Gemini & Mercury command pods should be placed in techtree?? I know they shouldnt be in the "start" node, but i'm unsure how "early" players should have access to them seeing as plane cockpits are space worthy and available very early.

Where should the Mercury/Gemini pods be placed in tech tree? before the Mk1 pod, maybe with plane cockpits or with the 1st rocket node? what node would be fitting?

Should the Gemini pod be placed in the same node than the MK1 pod?

And what about the ton of Russian pods/space station cores? (many of which are also KAS containers)

I ask as i have yet to notice this being discussed, unless i missed it. Also it just feels wrong to start with a manned pod, as much as it would to grab the plane cockpits for use in early manned space missions

Edited by Guest

for anyone having issues getting RPL to work due to issues with tweaking files or installing mods here is my gamedata folder and parts folder

it has the new real earth RSS with custom biomes for earth,earth lights and clouds, & the RT2 settings ground station fixed to kennedy space center, and real fuels/realism overhaul configured as instructed

on a fresh install just delete your parts and gamedata folder and paste these ones into your main ksp folder

**WILL REPOST LINK AFTER I FIX THE ISSUES I HAVE FOUND IN NOTE BELOW**

I DID NOT CREATE THESE FILES, all rights and congratulations belong to their authors

note: after looking into more of the Mods part.cfg files i have found a few missing/mis-scaled entries for FASA (pods)/Soviet Pack(pods/modules)/NovaPunch (bootleg pod) in ECLSS life support & DRE heatsheild entries, Found a few more non-matching base/cape values in various sciencedefs, and I am still tweaking around the RT2 settings of AIES comms devices and power generation of Soviet pack Soyuz/Mir solar panels

Anyone having luck with the newest versions of real fuels and stretchy SRB? i cant seem to get them to work correctly (my stretchy tanks dont show in VAB/SPH), so i'm stuck using the previous builds. If anyone has them working could you please drop me an answer, its somewhat bothersome.

Edited by Guest
removed link until i address things i noted, real fuels/stretchy SRB question added

I'm having an issue with the new experiment system. It won't let me repeat an experiment even though the previous attempt was never turned in for the science reward. I was attempting the high orbit experiments with the cube, but forgot to put any means of getting the probe back on the ground into the design, so once I ran the sample experiment and realized that I needed to bring the thing back to the surface to get any benefit, I reverted, redesigned, and relaunched. Unfortunately, when I got the probe back in position and ran the experiments, none of them reported any science reward, including things like the thermometer and gravimeter, even though I'd turned none of them in for the science reward on the previous attempt. Some searching didn't seem to return any discussion about this as of yet, so I'm wondering if there is a way to reset the experiments so that failed attempts do not mean you're out of luck...

Sorry to post yet another question so soon, but i was hoping someone here could answer.

Anyone know how i move KSC to the location of Guiana Space Centre, (5.2372° N, 52.7606° W, Guyanais, BP 726, Kourou 97387, French Guiana)? This seems to be the ideal existing launch site that exists on earth (as far as i can tell) due to its proximity to the equator. I have an idea of how to do so, but would prefer to have some that truly understands this edit explain it to me. My goal is fairly simple o move the launch site (KSC) and the remote tech2 "ground station" to this location. If anyone knows of a launch site directly located on the equator inreal life, please suggest it to me. Thanks alot.

what is considered the "default" launch site for RPL's game play? Using Kennedy Space center or Baikonur Cosmodrome is far from ideal, considering the distance they are from the equator. My research seems to point to the Guiana Space Centre being the closest to "ideal" we are likely to find using a real life analog. If its not too much trouble for you to reply to this question personally MedievalNerd I think to could help alot of people seeing that RSS has gone "real earth"

Wonderful work done here!

found it, Farram posted it:

//Guiana Space Centre, ELA-3

PQSCity

{

KEYname = KSC

//repositionRadial = 158200.0, -220.0, -570000.0

latitude = 5.239380

longitude = -52.768487

repositionRadiusOffset = 173 //42.7000007629395

repositionToSphereSurface = false

lodvisibleRangeMult = 6

}

PQSMod_MapDecalTangent

{

//radius = 79637.5

radius = 4500 // KSP: 7500

heightMapDeformity = 80 // was 75

absoluteOffset = 120

absolute = true

latitude = 5.239380

longitude = -52.768487

}

Now who knows the location of "Sea Launch, Ocean Odyssey", the international non-governmental launch site that is near perfectly equatorial located?

YIKES! StretchySRB V9 and Real Fuels v5 have been released, also "Procedural Parts - The next phase of Stretchy SRBs" seems to have escaped my notice, will this work with RPL? If anyone has attempted to use any of these with RPL with success? Which should we be using? I had an odd issue with no stretchy fuel tanks/SRB's in VAB/SPH when i switched to StretchySRB V9 and Real Fuels v5 so i switched back to the previous versions. Anyone else attempt this??

Note, i got a reply on this in the Procedural Parts thread, but i dont trust it 100% as it suggests making changes to Real fuels. I will wait to receive an answer in this thread so i dont "break" my Stretchy SRB's/Real fuels integration in RPL. If NathanKell or MedievalNerd have a moment to post his thoughts on that i would feel far better about making the suggested edits

Edited by Guest

@Aazard the old non-superstretchies were deprecated in v9 of stretchy tanks. "category = -1" in their config means they're no longer available to use in new construction; but still function on old craft. I'm running into the same issue on my install. Quick and dirty fix is to un-deprecate 'em by changing each of the configs (for 0.5, 0.625, 1.25, etc up to the 5 meter) category from -1 back to Propulsion (re-enabling them in the VAB / SPH). Otherwise the tree.cfg (RPL's tech tree) needs to be changed to make the new stretchy tanks available earlier and changing / confirming location of the size unlocks in the tech.cfg in the stretchytanks install folder. The hiccup with that that I can see is I have no friggin' clue what the modifiers mean in the tech.cfg (they're multiples; but I don't know what base they're going off at all. (pre-emptive edit: Quick math tells me 2.5 meters is the base size (2.5*0.25 = 0.625 which conforms with the sizing available at the first node)).

Going to run some quick tests of my own here to confirm this functions correctly. Changing the Tech.cfg (to allow any size from the start [changing all values from their decimal to 100]) and Tree.cfg (to make sure the stretchy tanks are available also).

Just a quick hello!

I'm not dead, given up or anything of the sort. The restructuring at my company didn't go as smoothly as we thought, so had to do crazy hours for the past 2 weeks. And so on weekends it was more zombie time and R&R. Things 'finally' seem to have stabilized this week. So hopefully I won't have to do "2" jobs at once, hence free up brain and free time!

Brain being the rarest commodity these days.

Weekends were seas of Netflix, with eating and drooling. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

And the saddest thing in all of this, there isnt' much left to do for RPL. Just had no time whatsoever! Frustrating!

Sorry for being away from the boards for the past 2 weeks, it was totally insane.

I'll slowly reappear this week, with some hopeful final sprint segments for RPL this very weekend. I have to install Windows on my wife's brand new PC (finally fully assembled), but that's just a question of keeping an eye on the progress bars. Which I'll be able to do all the while working on RPL.

Mega desk is complete, Mega PC is missing only a few more parts (only fans). So the ragged setup I had is now prim and proper.

Apologies for the seemingly endless delays.

Hang in there everyone, I'll git'er done!

Just a quick hello!

I'm not dead, given up or anything of the sort. The restructuring at my company didn't go as smoothly as we thought, so had to do crazy hours for the past 2 weeks. And so on weekends it was more zombie time and R&R. Things 'finally' seem to have stabilized this week. So hopefully I won't have to do "2" jobs at once, hence free up brain and free time!

Brain being the rarest commodity these days.

Weekends were seas of Netflix, with eating and drooling. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

And the saddest thing in all of this, there isnt' much left to do for RPL. Just had no time whatsoever! Frustrating!

Sorry for being away from the boards for the past 2 weeks, it was totally insane.

I'll slowly reappear this week, with some hopeful final sprint segments for RPL this very weekend. I have to install Windows on my wife's brand new PC (finally fully assembled), but that's just a question of keeping an eye on the progress bars. Which I'll be able to do all the while working on RPL.

Mega desk is complete, Mega PC is missing only a few more parts (only fans). So the ragged setup I had is now prim and proper.

Apologies for the seemingly endless delays.

Hang in there everyone, I'll git'er done!

HE LIVES! Rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated ;)

I can feel with you, we have crazy weeks too and then even my family doesn't get to see me for a whole WE.

So let me just say thank you, to you and all the other modders, you all do bring us joy. Take all the drooling time you need :)

Ben

Edited by Navy2k

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.