[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

Maybe. I also have spots in the tech tree that have no parts in them, namely, Bio Sample Recovery,Venera 2, Mars 2, Remote Sample Analysis, and Unmanned Sample Recovery. I am using all of the recommended mods, except for Remotetech, Soviet Engines, and Procedural Wings. These are just the nodes that I have found so far.

is it still coming out tonight saying to try it out wanna build a moon rocket lol

Can't release tonight, helped out Nathan to fix the RO_RT2 file. There were quite a few typos and erroneous part names when Brooklyn666 handed it over to us. So yeah, took hours to fix. I'm done for today, just wanted to spend an hour or too, next thing you know it's 11PM. Heh...

Cheers,

Can't release tonight, helped out Nathan to fix the RO_RT2 file. There were quite a few typos and erroneous part names when Brooklyn666 handed it over to us. So yeah, took hours to fix. I'm done for today, just wanted to spend an hour or too, next thing you know it's 11PM. Heh...

Cheers,

its cool glade you guys got other things fixed. i know how time an fly

I second the RT2 problem... haven't been able to figure out what's wrong... The communotrons have only 2.5 / 5Mm omni range, as in stock game, even though I copied all the neccessary RT2 tweaks and files to correct folders, so it's pretty difficult to establish a functional communication network this way.

That's definitely going to be fixed in the next RO release. Found some typos and what not. So the new ranges will be as per the fixes suggested by Brooklyn666. The PacketResourceCosts also needed updating. They were set to ~5-30KW per packet. Considering just a small of data fits in each. D:

For the people with the Remote Tech problem, I'm pretty sure the issue is that you're over-zealously copying tweak files into places you're not supposed to. I noticed on PingoPete (I think that was his name, I'm not going to go dig through the pages again to find it) that his RT2 folder was jacked up. To be fair, it is easy to misunderstand the installation instructions.

Maybe I'll do a step-by-step-with-pictures-and-video installation guide to help people out with installing Realism Overhaul. The devs are pretty busy, I imagine, and could probably use the help. (Although that all depends on if I can get the time to do it. Turns out that working minimum wage sucks.)

Hey all! I love this modpack! c:

However, this round I found no probes in the free nodes. I looked back a few pages and saw that needs updating. What's the status on probe-in-node? :)

Apart from the free starting nodes. Free nodes down the line are simply free because they are empty. :)

I think this patch will address the last key issues, I wish I had time to test the 2M+ Stretchy issue.

Excellent work Medieval Nerd! A couple of suggestions if I may:

On the probes with large amounts of electric charge, can you reduce them to say 100 and reduce the probe charge use rate by the same factor to simulate the real probe's longevity. I am tempted to use those probes as batteries...

Can't seem to find the MultiSpectral Scanner for the mapping satellite. Where do you have that bugger hidden?

I love the Soviet Engines. They are AWESOME. May I suggest that you spread them over the large booster tech tree. I find myself using them for everything too early. I had to go in and edit the mod to use them in the tech tree to begin with. If you like, I can send you my settings from the stock tree.

Probus - he's said a few times those are not final probe values. Balance will be done later once the tree has been done.

I found another interesting bug this evening. I got enough science to get tech 4 engines etc, my max strechy tank width is still 2m however all the saved ships I had with 0.5m or 0.625m stechy tanks have changed. They load as 2m wide and the default length, this includes missions in flight which is how I noticed the problem at first. I switched to a sci probe and it was all disjointed, started vibrating and promptly exploded. I checked the design in the VAB and it's the same there. See screenshot below

Qfje8lE.jpg

Probus - he's said a few times those are not final probe values. Balance will be done later once the tree has been done.

I found another interesting bug this evening. I got enough science to get tech 4 engines etc, my max strechy tank width is still 2m however all the saved ships I had with 0.5m or 0.625m stechy tanks have changed. They load as 2m wide and the default length, this includes missions in flight which is how I noticed the problem at first. I switched to a sci probe and it was all disjointed, started vibrating and promptly exploded. I checked the design in the VAB and it's the same there. See screenshot below

http://i.imgur.com/Qfje8lE.jpg

Ouch... That's similar to an old issue that I thought Nathan had fixed. (But it had nothing to do with tech levels, just sometimes the way you increased width got saved weird, and when you'd load you'd get super bizarre things like above, but instead of up/down it was sideways. lol

Ratzap, see the ModuleManager thread for details. Do you have a backup of the save? Or your quicksave? Switch to ModuleManager 2.0.8 and load the backup, and things should be ok.

Basically, it's due to a Squad loader bug: if the order of MODULEs in a .craft or .sfs file don't match the order of PartModules in a part, the persistent settings don't get loaded.

Your other option is making a new craft with the part in question, saving it, seeing the order of modules (probably MFT and Stretchy changed places or something), and then applying that order to all nodes of that part in the .sfs file.

Excellent work Medieval Nerd! A couple of suggestions if I may:

On the probes with large amounts of electric charge, can you reduce them to say 100 and reduce the probe charge use rate by the same factor to simulate the real probe's longevity. I am tempted to use those probes as batteries...

Can't seem to find the MultiSpectral Scanner for the mapping satellite. Where do you have that bugger hidden?

I love the Soviet Engines. They are AWESOME. May I suggest that you spread them over the large booster tech tree. I find myself using them for everything too early. I had to go in and edit the mod to use them in the tech tree to begin with. If you like, I can send you my settings from the stock tree.

Hey there!

I've actually not implemented the SCANSAT (or what's the name for it again?) yet. It's on the endless highway of to do list. As for the Soviet engines, they've been replaced as they should have been in MS19c. I sadly have to work tonight, so I'm not sure I'll have time and/or energy to finish up the very few things that need to be done. I mainly wanted to double check the 2M issue. We've built MM files for those, so I'm not sure what's up.

As Ratzap mentioned, the probes need EC overhauls. Vanguard is crazy high because of how long it lasted (but with solar panels) just can't really use the solar panel module on a sphere. /shrug I'll tone it down a few. But hey! You can stop yourself from using them outside their intended mission. I don't think it's part of the OP, but I did mention in the thread (buried in the 100's of posts lol) that I wasn't going to have a mindset to 'prevent' cheating. Obviously that probe is insanely high, but in general I'm hoping that people showing interest in the whole KSP 'realism' thing, that they aren't going to try and beat the game in a gamey fashion. :D

Cheers,

Edited by MedievalNerd

Saaaaay... not wanting to distract you, just wondering (no problems this time, just a few musings)...

Do you have any kind of science points planned for stuff other than sending various probes somewhere? I like the idea of research for "firsts". Like, say, for getting your first successful docking. Or the first spacewalk. Ok, a spacewalk is not that big an achievement, game-wise, but it sure was in reality.

That way you could phase out the "old" science bits while still having enough research points to get stuff going. Not to mention that people could pick their preferred experiments. Some want to get man on the moon, some want to send probes all over the solar system... personally I'm more partial to creating a huge space station in orbit where humankind can research and explore, maybe along with a moon base, rather than sending probes about for no long term gains.

Just saying.

As Ratzap mentioned, the probes need EC overhauls. Vanguard is crazy high because of how long it lasted (but with solar panels) just can't really use the solar panel module on a sphere. /shrug I'll tone it down a few. But hey! You can stop yourself from using them outside their intended mission. I don't think it's part of the OP, but I did mention in the thread (buried in the 100's of posts lol) that I wasn't going to have a mindset to 'prevent' cheating. Obviously that probe is insanely high, but in general I'm hoping that people showing interest in the whole KSP 'realism' thing, that they aren't going to try and beat the game in a gamey fashion. :D

While I understand and agree with your basic idea, I think game balance is more important here than simulating exact historical specs. It's overpowered in every way, also because it weighs essentially nothing. I don't think anyone is going to watch their probe orbit over and over again so it really only needs to last a few orbits to simulate the original mission. Also to balance the tiny size I'd suggest you give it a power consumption that's at least 2-3 times bigger than the other probes, then add a big battery to last maybe 12 hours (that's 6 orbits on it's actual orbital period) to counter the fact that it's so small that there's no point in using other cores as command units in case you're building a non-replica flight, such as a comms relay. But it's a tricky one for sure :)

Ratzap, see the ModuleManager thread for details. Do you have a backup of the save? Or your quicksave? Switch to ModuleManager 2.0.8 and load the backup, and things should be ok.

Basically, it's due to a Squad loader bug: if the order of MODULEs in a .craft or .sfs file don't match the order of PartModules in a part, the persistent settings don't get loaded.

Your other option is making a new craft with the part in question, saving it, seeing the order of modules (probably MFT and Stretchy changed places or something), and then applying that order to all nodes of that part in the .sfs file.

Yes I still have both craft in the save file as the game crashed a few minutes after the explosion ;) I'll swap things round later, thanks for the reply.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.