[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

Anybody know which engine I should be using with the Juno rocket? After many attempts just to get the rocket clusters not to explode during separation I think I am lost as to which engine I should be using with it.

Also I am still using procedural parts and I can only make the fuel tanks as small as 1m in width and height. So some of the KW rockets are good for 0.5m from what I can tell but there isn't any tanks available for 0.5m rockets. Should I still be using procedural parts or should I be going to the older StretchySRB's? I liked the stretchy being able to make them very small. Can't seem to do that with PP. Any advice on that would be great. Thanks and this is the best mod out there. And when I say best I mean you and Nathan make the best package. I only play this way anymore.

I know it's not my place to complain about it, but balance really can wait 'til the whole thing works out. We can very easily counter overpowered items ourselves: Simply don't use them. Or, if you want to, edit the relevant cfg files. That's not really a big issue there. There's other balance issues, like the size of the Sputnik2 and how Explorer and Vanguard are relatively late in the tree compared to the mentioned Sputnik-2.

But ... while we're at comparably minor issues... did I forget a step or do something wrong? There's a lot of engines in my collection that not only don't "fit" into the tech level (considering their TWR or ISP), but they simply don't fit AT ALL (being too friggin' big by any kind of stretch, no pun intended). The LR37 may be TL0, but it is also 2m diameter (at least for me), which makes it pretty much useless for TL0 which consists mostly of teeny little other bits. The D4-2 as well as the N1 are TL1 and 2.5m wide, I don't even have any fuel tanks that I could stack above (btw, do the stretchable tanks only go to 2m, or is that TL dependent?). And there's more like that, like the SPS, which would be a great Orbital Engine but it is INSANELY huge with 5m diameter.

If that's all a balance issue and subject to change, just ignore it. My question would be whether that should NOT be that way and I forgot to install some kind of mod that shrinks those engines to some sensible diameters and allows stretchy tanks to grow beyond 2m.

While I understand and agree with your basic idea, I think game balance is more important here than simulating exact historical specs. It's overpowered in every way, also because it weighs essentially nothing. I don't think anyone is going to watch their probe orbit over and over again so it really only needs to last a few orbits to simulate the original mission. Also to balance the tiny size I'd suggest you give it a power consumption that's at least 2-3 times bigger than the other probes, then add a big battery to last maybe 12 hours (that's 6 orbits on it's actual orbital period) to counter the fact that it's so small that there's no point in using other cores as command units in case you're building a non-replica flight, such as a comms relay. But it's a tricky one for sure :)

I'm not saying balance isn't important, just that it's not high on the priority list compared to making sure things 'work'. :)

I'm not saying balance isn't important, just that it's not high on the priority list compared to making sure things 'work'. :)

Of course and that's how it should be :) Maybe my actual point was a bit unclear there, what I'm trying to say is that just like having things perfectly balanced isn't important right now, I'd say that neither is exact historical accuracy when it comes to things like the Vanguard being solar powered if that means it's so much out of line with all other parts in terms of gameplay. Again what I'm trying to say is that the part isn't exactly unbalanced, it's pretty much broken seeing as the suggested solution is not to use it when a two minute fix to .cfg will make it a working part again. But of course it's a minor issue in itself too, I'm just nitpicking here because I love the mod(s) and just flew a mission with the Vanguard and it's a pretty cute little thing :)

Of course and that's how it should be :) Maybe my actual point was a bit unclear there, what I'm trying to say is that just like having things perfectly balanced isn't important right now, I'd say that neither is exact historical accuracy when it comes to things like the Vanguard being solar powered if that means it's so much out of line with all other parts in terms of gameplay. Again what I'm trying to say is that the part isn't exactly unbalanced, it's pretty much broken seeing as the suggested solution is not to use it when a two minute fix to .cfg will make it a working part again. But of course it's a minor issue in itself too, I'm just nitpicking here because I love the mod(s) and just flew a mission with the Vanguard and it's a pretty cute little thing :)

OK, we are on the same page then. I've said I'll lower the Vanguard probe EC. And on top of it, no point in having missions that last months, since I need to work out how to use time compression & having it impact the rate at which you get data points. Right now the whole process ignores my plugin. D:

Would it be difficult to rework it so that it would give Data based on time elapsed? i.e. you start collecting data at T+02:44:53, this date gets saved to a temporary variable and for each second elapsed it would give you 1 Data....this would work regardless of time warp, because when you time warp, mission timer warps too :)

Hey peeps! I started a Let's Play with Realistic Progression Lite a little while ago and I thought you may want to see it! Sometimes I do videos of it and sometimes I do youtube live streaming. :D

Here is the playlist:

However here is a special hilarious episode about a very unfortunately shaped space ship:

This may be using a slightly older version of Realistic Progression Lite and I am not using quite all of the recommended mods, nor am I using a realistic sized solar system. However it is still quite good of a tech tree and has been very fun!

https://www.youtube.com/user/BadashGames

swamp_ig and Sarbian are working on a better solution (aka automatic upgrade); but *do* make a backup of your SFS before messing around, just in case.

Oh no worries there. I keep NAS copies and dated saves backups - I muck about with things too much to be incautious. I still had the last 7 or 8 MM versions in my downloads area too so I just reverted the RPL save to that.

Would it be difficult to rework it so that it would give Data based on time elapsed? i.e. you start collecting data at T+02:44:53, this date gets saved to a temporary variable and for each second elapsed it would give you 1 Data....this would work regardless of time warp, because when you time warp, mission timer warps too :)

Can you write that up in C#, I'll try it out. ;)

Can you write that up in C#, I'll try it out. ;)

Stopwatch stopWatch = new Stopwatch();

stopWatch.Start();

// do stuff

stopWatch.Stop();

long duration = stopWatch.ElapsedMilliseconds;

From stackoverflow. Convert to a handy Timespan with

TimeSpan timerDur= TimeSpan.FromSeconds(duration/1000);

timerDur.Days, timerDur.Hours etc etc

Stopwatch stopWatch = new Stopwatch();

stopWatch.Start();

// do stuff

stopWatch.Stop();

long duration = stopWatch.ElapsedMilliseconds;

From stackoverflow. Convert to a handy Timespan with

TimeSpan timerDur= TimeSpan.FromSeconds(duration/1000);

timerDur.Days, timerDur.Hours etc etc

Awesome, that should set me up. Or not, I'll see I'm no C# expert myself. Lol

Hi MedievalNerd,

I'm loving the improvements since version 18! It is nice not to have to try and return everything to Earth any more :)

I'm trying to get the Luna 1 impactor to work but I'm not having much luck so far. I tweaked the configs to get the chemical release and experiment to run in low space which worked okay, but after the chemicals release, clicking the experiment button prints "Success! We've completed the requirements..." then "Impact Probe can't be done right now.". Am I missing something obvious? I thought I'd have a look through the plugin source to see if there was anything there that could help, but I can't find the source either! Its obviously not my day :(

I look forward to seeing if this is fixed in 19c, keep up the good work :)

Hi MedievalNerd,

I'm loving the improvements since version 18! It is nice not to have to try and return everything to Earth any more :)

I'm trying to get the Luna 1 impactor to work but I'm not having much luck so far. I tweaked the configs to get the chemical release and experiment to run in low space which worked okay, but after the chemicals release, clicking the experiment button prints "Success! We've completed the requirements..." then "Impact Probe can't be done right now.". Am I missing something obvious? I thought I'd have a look through the plugin source to see if there was anything there that could help, but I can't find the source either! Its obviously not my day :(

I look forward to seeing if this is fixed in 19c, keep up the good work :)

You do also need to change the value in the ScienceDefs.cfg

burningcrow: For the Juno rocket, you probably want the C2, or the actual Redstone's Rocketdyne A-7 engine (in Hydyne mode).

From the top down you want your probe, then a single Baby Sergeant, then the small decoupler (careful how you place it), then the 3x cluster, then the larger decoupler (again, careful how you place it!), then the 11x cluster, then the final decoupler / nosecone etc and the Juno tank.

Is there a PP modulemanager patch for tank widths? If not, yeah, try Stretchies.

Aw, thanks! :]

Ivan Ivanovich: I can't remember whether TL0 tanks were set at 1.5 or 2m; they probably should be 2m. (There's actually a good case for them being 3m...) Certainly TL1 allows 3m tanks (or should; that's what we planned).

SPS *should* be 4m diameter btw (that's it's actual size); it's coming out as 5?

Finally got through some of the API functions (there isn't any documentation available, so I had to go through some popular plugins) and I haven't got the actual code yet, but I meant something like this

int _time;

bool record;

on "data record" press:

_time = CurrentTime.UT;

record = true;

on refresh (basically each frame, idk if this would impact game performance) something like this

if(record == true){ Data += CurrentTime.UT - _time;

_time = CurrentTime.UT;

}

and on stop record

record = false;

but I guess the Ratzap's code is more efficient + you can copy&paste his code and you're good to go, I would have to spend much more time on it...

yay is it coming out tonight

No patch for you! :D

Just kidding... Yup, it's coming out tonight. Just need to make a few final tweaks to the tree, publish that, update the OP and tada! ;) I'll post on the thread once that's done and tell you when you can come and git'it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.