[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

Sounds light alright...

My rocket for the bio probe weighted 350 tons with 7(!) engines on the bottom stage and 4 70KN's ones on the 2nd stage. Last stage had small amount of bipropellant for orbit equalizing and de-orbit burn. The probe itself obviously dies on re-entry, even though that i have heat shield, 1.25m one, as it protects nicely, but is probably too heavy. 1m one from RO(?) doesn't wan't to fit to node, so no use and 'stock' DRE 0.625m one is tad too small.

Btw, is the Vanguard I probe really meant to be so tiny? I mean 0.155m?

Oh well...maybe RSS is too difficult to my brains, idk.

Semmel: They are so early in the tech tree because they are low-tech engines. And yeah, if you're talking about a version that's four versions ago...it's a version that's four versions ago.

Regarding RCS, what do you mean by "static" ones? Make sure you have ModuleRCSFX, as Realism Overhaul requires...if RCS still fails to work, post a picture of the vessel in the VAB, and your output_log.txt

Regarding remove things. You can safely delete:

From AIES, the FuelTank folder, the Structure folder, and the SAS folder.

From KW Rocketry, the Control folder, the Fairing Bases folder, the Fairings folder, the Fuel folder, and the Structural folder.

From NovaPunch2, the ControlPods folder, the CouplersAndAdapters folder, the Decouplers folder, the Fairings folder, the Freyja folder, the FuelTanks folder, the NoseCone folder, the Odin folder, the Parachutes folder, the RCS folder, the SAS folder, the Thor folder, and the YawmasterCSM folder.

That should remove a lot of stuff already.

Makeone: Procedural tanks should be limited by tech-level, yes, although the limits are quite large. If you are having trouble with Procedural Parts, install StretchySRB for now; I'm not sure the latest RPL has full support for them (I think likely it doesn't because IIRC I told MedievalNerd I'd do up a config for them but got sidetracked, and then sick today).

Regarding getting to High Space: if you launch a light satellite (100kg max, say) it shouldn't take that large a sounding rocket. Remember that as Mirean says, you need to break yourself of the KSP habit of designing heavy payloads, and instead design as light as possible. For example, Vanguard I really was only 155m (6 and 1/2 inches) in diameter, and massed only 6.5kg. Let that be your benchmark, not some 1+ ton probe from normal KSP.

If your probe-launching rockets are 350 tons (twice the mass of the Titan II that launched the two-crew Gemini spacecraft!) then you're doing something funky.

For reference, the first geosynchronous (though not geostationary) satellite, Syncom 2 (Syncom 1 failed), massed 40kg in final orbit (GTO mass 68kg). Syncom 3 massed about the same, and was the first geostationary satellite.

Post pics of your launcher and probe, maybe?

I just tried to install this group of mods (pretty new to KSP in general) and I've been watching BadashGames' channel on it. I've noticed I have a don't have the choices in stretchy tanks he has. I wanted to makes sure this was just a change not a glitch or something I installed as an extra. I seem to have some options, but they're all only solid fuel. I have some liquid rockets, just no tanks beyond an odd circular one and some really tiny one that I can load full of any fuel, but I can't seem to figure out how to load it full of a liquid fuel. Any help for a noob here?

I just tried to install this group of mods (pretty new to KSP in general) and I've been watching BadashGames' channel on it. I've noticed I have a don't have the choices in stretchy tanks he has. I wanted to makes sure this was just a change not a glitch or something I installed as an extra. I seem to have some options, but they're all only solid fuel. I have some liquid rockets, just no tanks beyond an odd circular one and some really tiny one that I can load full of any fuel, but I can't seem to figure out how to load it full of a liquid fuel. Any help for a noob here?

Are you playing with RPL MS19e? IE, did you install Tree Loader and all the mods listed on the OP?

If you are new to KSP in general, it might be a good idea to read the OP of any mods you are having issues with first. Some of the mods require post install changes, or additions in order to function as intended.

And if you could say the name of the parts you are having issues with that'd be great. :)

Welcome to the forums!

i updated Procedural Fairings and now there no procedural fairings in my career any more but it show up in sandbox

Do you see them in the tech tree? Or are they only missing in the VAB?

Did you try to start a 'new' career to see if they are present?

That's quite bizarre.

Do you see them in the tech tree? Or are they only missing in the VAB?

Did you try to start a 'new' career to see if they are present?

That's quite bizarre.

no i do not see them in the VAB and i do not see them in the tree that i have unlocked rite now but the ones in sandbox mode is different then how they used to be you can change the size of the fairing base and there only 3 parts now two fairing bases and the interstate thing

no i do not see them in the VAB and i do not see them in the tree that i have unlocked rite now but the ones in sandbox mode is different then how they used to be you can change the size of the fairing base and there only 3 parts now two fairing bases and the interstate thing

I see, if he made new parts he might have retired the old fairings. And the brand new parts will most likely be in strange places in the RPL tree.

I'll have to go check that out.

ok did you see what i seen?

No sorry, figure of speech. I'll have to investigate it further. :)

EDIT:

As I thought:

"Patch notes from PF"

* Added new resizable fairing bases with configurable number of side nodes.

* Old parts (bases and adapter) are deprecated. Launched vessels should be fine, but you might have trouble loading old designs in VAB/SPH in career mode.

* Added new part: Thrust Plate Multi-Adapter.

Edited by MedievalNerd

NathanKell and others; thanks for tips.

I managed to get Vanguard I to 37,500km after i started to think small (difficult, i have to admit). I even managed to get the Luna I to the moon, so not bad i suppose, and rocket was still pretty 'small', 50t class.

Another possible error: Venera 1 in the game is 1.4 t, but in reality it was 0.643 t. Maybe the error is because it's about 1.4 thousand pounds? My Molinya replica couldn't heave it to Venus :(

It'll have to be lighter to carry the necessary dish (edit: ) and fuel for course corrections, so maybe make it like 0.3-4 t?

Edited by Silpion
fuel

MedievalNerd, did you get the PM I sent you a couple of days ago?

Yes, just super busy. I'm behind PMs, you and another are on top of the list. But I'll most likely get back to you Friday. Trying to take it easy on evenings, rushed things too much in the past weeks with the hotfixes. It's bad for my health. :/

Another minor bug. The text in the bio experiment you send to the moon RPL-USA-NK1 talks about getting the data back to Swedish scientists. That should be on the first one right? RPL-SWE-MB1

While I'm here, is there a custom biome for the real moon yet?

Edited by Ratzap

Another minor bug. The text in the bio experiment you send to the moon RPL-USA-NK1 talks about getting the data back to Swedish scientists. That should be on the first one right? RPL-SWE-MB1

While I'm here, is there a custom biome for the real moon yet?

Nope, I received a PM about Moon biomes for RO/RSS I just need to reply. D:

SpacedInvader is working on it. :)

Did you actually test the flyingHigh part of the Luna 1 chemical release? flyingHigh starts at 30km, a standard moon approach comes in at 2.4km/s. You hit the ground with barely 15 chemical released and most certainly no time to finish the experiment and transmit results. This thing needs to start the release at spaceLow and be maybe less chemical. I mean yes, I could take fuel/engine etc and slow down close to the surface to get things done but then it's hardly an impact experiment is it? ;)

Edited by Ratzap

Did you actually test the flyingHigh part of the Luna 1 chemical release? flyingHigh starts at 30km, a standard moon approach comes in at 2.4km/s. You hit the ground with barely 15 chemical released and most certainly no time to finish the experiment and transmit results. This thing needs to start the release at spaceLow and be maybe less chemical. I mean yes, I could take fuel/engine etc and slow down close to the surface to get things done but then it's hardly an impact experiment is it? ;)

To be able to save time I had to test it using HyperEdit. So the situation trigger works, but I wasn't sure the sort of speed you'd hit.

For transmission I did lower the data size, so it shoudl transmit relatively fast. (Albeit currently impossible by the numbers you are giving me. lol)

I'll have to recalculate the altitude cutoffs.

Space Low would be too wide of a range. So I'm thinking we should up the Flying High cutoff. And in any case, we NEED TO increase the Flying Low, it's starting at 8KM ASL, and most terrain is around 8KM ASL. Oupsie!

2.4km/s

Edited by MedievalNerd

Hehe, ok, I'll let you off this time. For the record, I came in on a minimal transfer which would have given a standard west to east orbit. Radial burn to hit the moon nice and square once I entered the SoI and then let it free fall. By 200km it was passing 2300m/s and at impact almost 2500. There's a pretty small window there if you go from FlyingHigh as that starts at 30km (20km true as the real SL is below the surface all over).

Releasing 30 chemical takes 30 seconds right (one per isn't it)? That puts a rough minimum of 70km on it (30 x 2.3) then add transmission time.

Yes, just super busy. I'm behind PMs, you and another are on top of the list. But I'll most likely get back to you Friday. Trying to take it easy on evenings, rushed things too much in the past weeks with the hotfixes. It's bad for my health. :/

Yes, sleepless nights of coding are never fun :rolleyes:

Edited by SpacedInvader

To be able to save time I had to test it using HyperEdit. So the situation trigger works, but I wasn't sure the sort of speed you'd hit.

For transmission I did lower the data size, so it shoudl transmit relatively fast. (Albeit currently impossible by the numbers you are giving me. lol)

I'll have to recalculate the altitude cutoffs.

Space Low would be too wide of a range. So I'm thinking we should up the Flying High cutoff. And in any case, we NEED TO increase the Flying Low, it's starting at 8KM ASL, and most terrain is around 8KM ASL. Oupsie!

2.4km/s

I actually converted the experiment to work with InSpaceLow instead of FlyingHigh. Activating chemical release as soon as you cross the 200km mark (InSpaceLow), running the experiment, and then transmitting the data left me with about 15-30 seconds before impact with a fairly shallow approach. This was on MS19b, so I'm not sure if it's changed again since then, but there definitely wasn't too much extra margin to work with.

Edited by SpacedInvader

I doctored my save to start at 200km where InSpaceLow begins and I was finished transmitting with 80km left to impact - 30ish seconds. Meaning the process took about 45 to 50 seconds to complete. If you really want to get this closer, you're going to have to measure altitude and not use the biomes.

I doctored my save to start at 200km where InSpaceLow begins and I was finished transmitting with 80km left to impact - 30ish seconds. Meaning the process took about 45 to 50 seconds to complete. If you really want to get this closer, you're going to have to measure altitude and not use the biomes.

Or just expand FlyingHigh to something more appropriate for the new scale of RSS... Maybe 100km. At that point, if you have a sufficiently shallow approach, you have time to run everything and transmit before impact, but without any extra time.

EDIT: Whoops, guess it's supposed to be flying low. Even bumping FlyingLow up to 20km-30km, the only way I can think of to dump the chemical, collect the data, and still have time to complete the transmission would be to at least halve the chemical, and then really cut down on the data rate so it doesn't take more than a few seconds to transmit.

Edited by SpacedInvader

Yes, sleepless nights of coding are never fun :rolleyes:

Especially with a full time job as a Project Manager that waits for you in the morning... lol

- - - Updated - - -

I don't use homes. and thanks for the stats

- - - Updated - - -

Or just expand FlyingHigh to something more appropriate for the new scale of RSS... Maybe 100km. At that point, if you have a sufficiently shallow approach, you have time to run everything and transmit before impact, but without any extra time.

EDIT: Whoops, guess it's supposed to be flying low. Even bumping FlyingLow up to 20km-30km, the only way I can think of to dump the chemical, collect the data, and still have time to complete the transmission would be to at least halve the chemical, and then really cut down on the data rate so it doesn't take more than a few seconds to transmit.

Flying high, check the probe file. :)

Especially with a full time job as a Project Manager that waits for you in the morning... lol

A project manager who manages a project in their off time which is almost about managing in game projects.... I'm thinking of a certain MTV show right now...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.