[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

Thank you. But I am not real clear on what I need to do. I am not the best when it comes to programing. I can usually make the change I need, once I find where I need to make changes. sorry about being more trouble

Go to the GameData\StretchyTanks\Parts and open every .cfg file that have "tank" included in name(e.g. "0.5metertank.cfg"), and change line:

category = -1

to

category = Propulsion

Other options that do not require much precision:

a) get an astronaut into orbit and do EVAs above different biomes

B) get a probe into high Earth orbit (apoapsis anywhere above 35 000 kilometers) and use gravimeter above different biomes (it's biome-dependent even when in high orbit, so you can get quite a lot of science this way)

hello my freind ok so ur surgestions are working well , but with 2 slight hicups, firstly MJ refuses to let me orbit with any other Inclination other than 23.610. yet i need a obrit of 090 or 270 so i can collect scence from above the polar regions. secondly i can EVA a kerbolnaught hower ever i have no control at all over him and cant do crew reports. Any surgestions other than complete reinstall ?

MedievalNerd, you may want to look into the config of the Gemini lander, it seems overpowered. I've just finished my lunar mission and the tank on that thing was enough to visit all eight biomes on the moon (including both poles) without ever refueling, and still had plenty of fuel left after that. That is with a 232 Isp hydrazine engine.

Evidence:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Griffin: I'm glad it helped. As for your questions: Firstly, no idea about MJ, as I don't use the autopilot function. That being said, couldn't you simply manually launch into a polar orbit? It's not nearly as hard as the Luna 1 mission you've had trouble with before, just pack a little more delta-V than you would for a regular orbit. As for EVA, that's weird, are you sure that you pressed R to activate his jetpack?

That's weird. Which command pod did you use? Try to describe the situation in a bit more detail, perhaps MedievalNerd will know what's wrong.

As for Mechjeb, when I open the Ascent Guidance window, it let's me set the orbit inclination (default is 0). Did you try using that?

every comand pod kerbalnought hangs on the outside wont let go wont climb back in wont use pack. as for mj yes i know that its what i use

I'm afraid I have no idea what might cause that. Let's hope MedievalNerd does.

Everytime I start a new launch, the velocity is always 409.7m/s and the ship once fired up never descends again. This is really driving me nuts.

This does not sound like something that could be the result of this mod. I think you should ask in the RSS thread.

I'm afraid I have no idea what might cause that. Let's hope MedievalNerd does.

This does not sound like something that could be the result of this mod. I think you should ask in the RSS thread.

and now when i exhast all my fuel my probes explode very frustrating.

Everytime I start a new launch, the velocity is always 409.7m/s and the ship once fired up never descends again. This is really driving me nuts.

The 409.7m/s velocity is your orbital velocity while standing on launchpad, because earth is spinning that fast. And for the second issue - do you have Hack Gravity in debug menu enabled? (alt-f12) If so, disable it

It is by design, and it is realistic. In reality reaction wheels are used to make small adjustments to crafts such as the Hubble telescope, not to control huge rockets. You are supposed to use the gimbals of your engines and/or RCS to control your rocket. Always remember to check if your upper stage motor can gimbal (not all can, and some have ridiculously weak gimbals, like 0.01), and if it can't, include RCS in your design.

Hm, in what circumstances do you lose control (altitude, speed, etc.)? I mean, you are supposed to make your gravity turn very slowly, so most of the time you should be pretty much flying straight, there aren't really that many potential reasons to lose control. Perhaps your upper stage engine has too much twr?

If you could post a screenshot of your rocket or at least describe it, I might be able to help, perhaps there is something wrong with your design.

around 60, to 100k about the time that the first stage shuts down, and my programed AP I am using MJ. with as set altitude of 200k, with a bout a 40-50% turn path. the tern is set between 1 and 1.5k for the start and to complete the turn at 150k... actually that may be part of my problem because the first stage seems to shut down before the turn is complete... I wonder if that is the problem but even if the first stage burns out, the space craft starts to tumble before the next stage can start... I have thought about adding wings... are maybe a 2nd rcs tank to help keep and engines to help with that

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bx9nh8ntmtw62g/R-3.craft

Edited by tmikesecrist3
edit craft file

tmikesecrist3: Wings wouldn't help you above 40-50k, above that air is too thin for them to have any practical effect. I have no experience with using mechjeb autopilot functions in RSS/RO, so I can't help you with that, other than suggest you read https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem/wiki/MechJeb-Ascents if you haven't already done so.

I've tried loading your craft, but it "contains locked or invalid parts", which my KSP.log says are procedural fairings parts (are you using an old version of the mod?) and a mysterious part called "surfmap". Uploading a screenshot would be easier, I think, unless you know where that "surfmap" comes from.

Griffin: Judging from what I understand, that thread describes how to fix these problems once they happen, not how to stop them from happening. The assumption seems to be that this happens rarely, which is obviously not the case in your case. It is nevertheless definitely related.

Edited by Hattivat

I've tried loading your craft, but it "contains locked or invalid parts", which my KSP.log says are procedural fairings parts (are you using an old version of the mod?) and a mysterious part called "surfmap". Uploading a screenshot would be easier, I think, unless you know where that "surfmap" comes from.

Surfmap is a SCANsat part. His craft won't load for me either - he's using procedural parts and has proc batteries etc. MechJeb in RSS generally doesn't work too well, I would strongly advise against using the ascent guidance when playing an RPL save. Sarbian was talking about better RSS integration but it's not happened yet.

Surfmap is a SCANsat part. His craft won't load for me either - he's using procedural parts and has proc batteries etc. MechJeb in RSS generally doesn't work too well, I would strongly advise against using the ascent guidance when playing an RPL save. Sarbian was talking about better RSS integration but it's not happened yet.

I've installed both Scansat and Procedural Parts, and it still won't load.

OK, well a few days ago I mentioned that RCS didn't seem to be working well with this. Makeone gave me a solution in installing RCSFX, and that seemed to work at first, all the other RCS blocks worked again.... then, after a while, every ship I've had that used them just seems to stop working. Not the ship, just the RCS. It seems random how long it works before shutting down, but the fuel is still good and it still has electrical power so it isn't just losing control of the ship. I tried going back to the space center and coming back. That didn't restore operation, and I then tried booting the game. So far the latter has worked once, but another couple of times did nothing. Not sure what's going on with this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.