[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

Git is awesome for a lot of things, including raising your blood pressure! Github, on the other hand, is well worth all the frustrations its program might cause. No more combing the thread for bug reports once people figure out they can file an issue, which will most likely be never ;P

I might poke the code now and then, but RSS is a very heavy mod so I'm not sure I'll give it a go even if things become stable again.

Hey there,

In order to stop disappointing people I'm going to handover the reigns of this project to whomever is willing to take it on during my undetermined absence. I'm vying for a new position at work, and I can't focus on KSP modding for now. Plus my wife & cats need me.

If you are interested please PM me, and I'll do my best to hook you up with whatever I still have. Much was lost with my HDD wipe, it's only thanks to Nathan that github has something left of the code. /hurrah!

Before even accepting this endeavor, please be mindful of the amount of work required in doing so. Updating and maintaining the mod/plugin & thread can be quite demanding. I don't want to sound discouraging, but I don't want this to be picked up and dropped shortly thereafter because the kind person would get discouraged by the work.

Edited by MedievalNerd

I hope someone picks it, imo RSS and RO really need RPL to be complete. Ty MN for the great mod and gl in you real life :)

I do as well.

I can offer partial "email" support to person/persons who pick it up. pfj already said he'd be willing to pitch in here in there, but said he couldn't have the time to maintain/update the whole thing.

As for 'gl in real life' well the career changing interview is Wednesday evening... In the wise words of NathanKell... Welp!

Thanks for the praises, it was kind of a dream come true to work on a mod and have people actually like it. Who would have known!?

I do as well.

I can offer partial "email" support to person/persons who pick it up. pfj already said he'd be willing to pitch in here in there, but said he couldn't have the time to maintain/update the whole thing.

As for 'gl in real life' well the career changing interview is Wednesday evening... In the wise words of NathanKell... Welp!

Thanks for the praises, it was kind of a dream come true to work on a mod and have people actually like it. Who would have known!?

think you mean eeekkkkkk help its the wolf

Hey guys, could someone help me with my very first mission with this mod? I cant seem to get the first probe up high enough to do any science without it blowing up, and i dont have the parts/control to slow it down or make it more aerodynamic yet. using stretchy srbs and set my initial TWR to 1.1 and still no dice.:(

Any help would be appreciated.

That sounds like you have more delta-v than necessary. Or like you are trying to do a gravity turn when you shouldn't. With your first probe you should shoot straight up and only have just enough delta-v to get your apoapsis above the atmosphere. If "going straight up" is the part that is problematic, use winglets. Or try using one of the small liquid engines instead of an srb.

That sounds like you have more delta-v than necessary. Or like you are trying to do a gravity turn when you shouldn't. With your first probe you should shoot straight up and only have just enough delta-v to get your apoapsis above the atmosphere. If "going straight up" is the part that is problematic, use winglets. Or try using one of the small liquid engines instead of an srb.

Thanks soo much, got out of the atmo! It took a 2 stage burn with winglets and srb on lower portion and liquid on top.

Only small issue now is that the data recorder wont start, says max data is 100 and its activated but doesnt actually collect data :(

edit: this is with the WAC Corporal Experiments.

I got the RPL-master, made a new project and got it compiling. Was there an issues list somewhere or desired features?

Do you have Skype? I'd love to chat with you a bit and set you up with what I managed to salvage. Some of it may be of use for you. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks soo much, got out of the atmo! It took a 2 stage burn with winglets and srb on lower portion and liquid on top.

Only small issue now is that the data recorder wont start, says max data is 100 and its activated but doesnt actually collect data :(

edit: this is with the WAC Corporal Experiments.

You are welcome. This overheating problem with sounding rockets is actually a useful lesson for later, orbital launches - each altitude has a certain speed above which you burn up. The acceptable speed rises with altitude. Therefore the higher your acceleration, the faster you want you altitude to rise and consequently the more vertical you want to fly to avoid burning up. But in orbital launches generally the flatter your trajectory (the sooner and sharper the gravity turn), the better it is in terms of efficiency. So in practice, especially in the case of early satellite launches where you have little margin of error, you basically want to fly as flat a trajectory as you can afford to without overheating. You also want to design your launchers in such a way that you avoid reaching too high acceleration rates (max stage TWR in Mechjeb readings equals peak acceleration in G's). There are also other reasons for this, such as crew safety and ease of control (flying a rocket with a peak TWR of >10 feels like a rodeo).

As for the data recorder issue, that's a bummer. I think this is related to the .24 compability problem people were reporting on previous pages, try reading them, they might contain the answer/fix. I personally wouldn't know, since I'm still using my 23.5 installation for RSS/RO (given how many separate mods it takes to synchronize to make this work, I've learned to appreciate it when it works stablishly and developed a "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" attitude to my RSS/RO installations).

OMG,

I found the code! And I found the master excel sheet of the project.

Sweet mother of kerbals. Ratzap, this will be suuuper helpful. Or extremely confusing. Either way YIPPY!

BTW,

After doing a quick review of the code on github it seems some references were broken and rather than show the actual string to check it turned them into the word "text" as opposed to "Situation1" or whatever the hell i wrote.

So finding this code might fix some of the issues if you were running off github. yay

Edited by MedievalNerd

After doing a quick review of the code on github it seems some references were broken and rather than show the actual string to check it turned them into the word "text" as opposed to "Situation1" or whatever the hell i wrote.

So finding this code might fix some of the issues if you were running off github. yay

Yes, the actual files would be better than reverse decompiled from the DLL and NathanKell has put them in the repo. Your 'distributed backup' plan worked then ;)

pjf has some changes he wanted to get in then I think step 1 has to be get a working RPL release for people to chew on. After that the treeloader to MM overhaul can start.

Thx alot Ratzap! Can't wait for your release :)

We hit a snag and I've PM'd the others if they know the problem but essentially things are better than I'd hoped. The idea is to pop out something that works like 19e in 0.24.2 so people can play while we go to town on the next version.

sounds good and thanks for picking up the ball and running with it , am sure i not only one who wishes to say " hell thanks for this man ! "

It's a joint effort mate, I'm just the UK timezone face and we're just doing it till MN is able to take it back.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I created an RPL19e from the github repo and all the latest versions of the RSS stuff but the game engine goes nuts when I stage from 2 to 1 and KSP crashes. If you get it working, let me know the mods and versions you're using. The current treeloader tree has some duplicated parts but it's functional.

i wud ask rakird as i have been trying all day to get ksp to run , it keep crashing when enter a new game or saved game , i am working backwards removing mods but no joy as yet.

ok so i have removed all mods not listed in RSS OP and i am still crashing but i am crashing alot further on than before i enclose screen shot of when i crash , prevous crashes i wasnt even getting the stuff on screen so i can only assume i am getting close.

scrren_zps7b7e6ea9.png

Edited by griffin247

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.