[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

2015/07/09 - DEVELOPMENT IS OVER :(

Greetings folks, In order to stop causing disapointments and allow myself to focus on my career & family. I am taking a break for an undetermined amount of time from KSP Modding. I do feel like since I've spent so much time on this thing that I'm going to eventually come back. But I'm behind 2 major squad updates, and I can't keep up with key mod updates such as RSS, RO, etc.

I want to thank everyone for their support, comments, suggestions and bug reports. This has been an amazing experience up to now, this is the first mod I ever undertook to make and it was perhaps a bit more than I could chew in hindsight.

For now Ratzap is stepping in (with assistance from Nathan and pjf) to resume development on this, but there is no release yet. Stay tuned.

See you soon and fly safe!

Description:

Howdy folks,

The purpose of the Realistic Progression Lite Tech Tree is to provide an alternative tech tree, which takes roots from more traditional 4X style tech trees with distinct lines, and allows for the player to make choices a to how they want their space program to develop. All engine progression are based on the latest Realism Overhaul by NathanKell (using RftSEngines), and try to emulate the state of engines from the late 1940's all the way to 'modern times'.

The tree also tries to integrate multiple mods for flavor, and also opens up more complex activities for the late game. Where possible, rather than to lump all the mod's parts into a single node, I've create a mini tree for it, to allow for some progression for those as well. Right now Interstellar, Kethane, EP and KAS are the only ones I've done, but I'm working on LAZOR and Infernal Robotics as well.

Additionally to the custom tech tree and integration of numerous mods, the essentials includes my Custom Experiment plugin which change the face of how science is performed. There are 2 major changes to science.

#1 - Rather than generic instruments which can perform science in any location with vaying results, I've created body & situation specific experiments attached to probes which need to be researched and unlock experiments for other situations or bodies.

#2 - Experiments require actions to be performed prior to for it to be executed. The first one included is Data collection. Once you reach a target area, you need to collect telemetry (which costs EC) up to a certain amount based on the experiment. Milestone 19 will introduce Chemical Trails for early impact probes.

Disclaimer: I am playing and balancing this tech tree first and foremost with the usage of the whole realism package. There are two ways to play this on the stock KSP solar system, but results may vary. Once the tree is balanced and 'in a good shape' I'll consider make separate tweak files to bring it to a more stock friendly nature.

Installation Instructions: FOR VERSION MS19e

WHEN UPDATING TO A NEWER VERSION ALWAYS DELETE THE OLD MOD FOLDERS BEFORE INSTALLING

In order to not flood the thread with bad install trouble shooting, please carefully read the installation instructions of ALL the mods, espacially RSS & RO. Be mindful. :)

#1 - Download and install ALL mods listed in Essentials, below. As well as any Extra or Utilities you want. Do this first, before the following steps.

#2 - Go to the following link & download TreeLoader (Unzip & Place Treeloader folder in GameData folder) <--- DOWNLOAD LINK

#3 - Download and install RPL (removed until compatible)

#4 - If you are using RemoteTech2 (you should), make sure you move (not copy!)the included settings file (it's located in the RPL\RT2)SETTINGS folder) to your RT2 installation folder.

#5 - Get the RftS Pack & latest Exsurgent Engineering (gimbal plugin): here (follow instructions at bottom of post for installation of plugin; extract RftS Pack to GameData).

#6 - Start a New Career.

#7 - Pick the latest version of RPL when MuMech Loader pops up.

#8 - Dismiss the KSPI pop up. (See FAQ for how to disable the pop up).

#9 - Please Read all the FAQ points before playing RPL.

(Download removed until compatible)

(needs other mods, see above and below.)

GitHub

License: LGPL v3.0

ESSENTIALS (Mods/Plugins below must be manually downloaded!)

#1 - Real Fuels Originally by ialdabaoth, real fuels fork by NathanKell (LINK)

#2 - Real Solar System - by NathanKell (LINK) - see "Using RPL without RSS" below if you want to keep your original Kerbol system.

#3 - Deadly Reentry Continued - Originally by ialdabaoth, currently maintained by NathanKell (LINK)

#4 - Realism Overhaul Tweak/Resize Pack - By NathanKell & Myself (LINK): NOTE: follow the instructions immediately below the download to switch to the RftSEngines engine configs.

#5 - StretchySRB - by NathanKell (LINK)

#6 - FAR (link) - By Ferram

#7 - Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - By Ferram (LINK)

#8 - Remote Tech 2 (link) - By Cilph

#8a - Hotfix for Remote Tech 2 (available in the same post--you need to install RT2 then install the community hotfix on top of it (replace RemoteTech2/Plugins/RemoteTech2.dll with the hotfix dll).

(FOR LIFE SUPPORT!! --- >Support both of the below, but you need to pick one)

#9a - TAC Life Support (link)- By TaranisElsu

#9b - ECLSS - LINK - By Asmi

#10 - KW Rocketry (link) - By Kickasskyle

#11 - Nova Punch (link) - By Tiberion

#12 - AIES - Link

#13 - FASA - link

#14 - Procedural Dynamics Procedural Wings

#15 - Real Chutes

#16 - Soviet Engines (install the real size version, not the .64 scale version) (LINK)

#17 - !YOU NEED THIS! Active Texture Management !YOU NEED THIS! LINK

Note: you may well need to delete some of the parts in these packs to make everything run together without going over the memory limit; just delete the folders for the parts you don't use/want.

Utilities - (Get at least one to properly calculate your TWR/DV, unless you like doing that yourself)

#1 - MechJeb (Available on start - Will look into how r4m0n handles the progressive unlock of components and will later integrate it) (LINK)

#2 - Kerbal Engineer Redux (Available on start) (LINK)

Extras (Late Tech)

#1 - Kethane LINK - By Majiir

#2 - Extraplanetary - LINK - By Skykooler

#3 - KAS - LINK - By Majiir

#4 - Lazor - LINK - By Romfarer

#5 - KSP Interstellar (Late Tech) (link) - By Fractal_UK

#6 - Magic Smoke Industries - Infernal Robotics - LINK - By sirkut

Not yet Implemented:

#1 - Mission Controller (Not Implemented Yet!) (link) - By Malkuth & NathanKell

Want to fund RPL development fuel!?

If you'd like to contribute to RPL development fuel, which consists mainly of Wunderbars & Monster Energy drinks, please feel free to donate! 100% of the calories gained will be directed towards RPL development at my discretion. :) I extend my thanks to one and all regardless of donations, you ladies & gents rock!

btn_donate_SM.gif

MS19b - Tech Tree Layout Below!

(If you click on the image you'll get a better resolution version)

YOtGKQG.jpg

New Altitudes *UPDATED MS19e*

MS19e_Altitude_Partial.png

Special Thanks To:

NathanKell

r4m0n

Ethernet

Fractal_UK

Majiir

Nerf Herder

Asmi

Romfarer

K&W

Frizzank

And thanks also go to the community for showing interest in my project! You boys & gals are great!

RPL Tech Tree & Plugins are created by Medieval Nerd.

Edited by MedievalNerd
Updated OP

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS OR GOOD THINGS TO READ BEFORE PLAYING RPL!!

General Notes:

#1 - MADE FOR RSS + RO (Results may vary otherwise)

#2 - If you are going to suggest to make a separate tree for XYZ, it's not that I'm not interested in supporting other styles but I'm fully booked with this project alone.

#3 - All RPL Custom Experiments require either Data Collection or Chemical Release tasks to be completed.

#4 - You need ALL the Essentials to get all experiments, and play the game as balanced. I'm currently running it at ~3GB.

#5 - Read the installation instructions for ALL the mods. Pay particular attention to RO & RSS which require secondary things to be done to work properly.

How do the Data Recorder & Chemical Release modules work?

#1 - All probes are equipped with either a Data recorder or Chemical Release module, or both!

#2 - The target situation & body of the module will match that of the experiments on the probe.

#3 - Once you arrive to the target body & situation, you have to collect as much data as the experiment requires (Or empty your chemical canister).

#4 - Once you have enough Data (or release all your chemical), you will be able to trigger the experiment.

#5 - Experiments are either 100% transmittable (Assuming you are in comm range!), or 0% meaning they have to be returned to Earth to gain the science from it.

Future plans :

#1 - Photo & Video Experiments. (Making abstraction of heading at first)

#2 - Manned Custom Experiments (Following the Mercury, Gemini & Apollo programs)

KSPI Prompting you to update your tree?

As per the wondrous Aazard, if you don't want KSPI to prompt you to update your tree, please do the following:

#1 - Go to your KSP installation GameData folder.

#2 - Proceed to the WarpPlugin folder.

#3 - Locate the "tree.cfg" file

#4 - Open it and edit the following line

VERSION

{

id = 1

}

#5 - Make the following changes

VERSION

{

id = 0

}

Thanks Aazard!

Using RPL without RSS:

WARNING! AS OF MS19 with the historical progression of probes, it will cause issues with later experiments. IE, Minmus = Uranus, etc.

You still need to load all the other mods, but you can skip RSS if you want to play in the original Kerbol system (without rescaled/changed planets). However, you need to choose one of two options.

1. Use Kerbal Isp Difficulty Scalar, by Ferram (LINK) and set both multipliers to 0.3333x. This means you'll have to use real-life-size rockets. OR

2. Open RealFuels/RealSettings.cfg and change the line useRealisticMass = true to useRealisticMass = false which will give you stock-KSP-like dry mass fractions for your tanks and TWRs for your engines. This means you'll have to use (roughly) stock-KSP-with-FAR-sized rockets.

Edited by MedievalNerd
Multiple edits to post & added links, etc.

LIVE RELEASE PATCH NOTES:

Milestone 19a Change Log:

THERE ARE SOME EMPTY NODES! DONT WORRY (THEY ARE FREE!)

Complete overhaul of the Probe & Capsules Techlines.

Probes are now split by Planets & Moons. (Currently only Earth, Moon, Venus & Mars)

Capsules are by program Mercury, Gemini & Apollo. (No Custom Experiments yet)

Complete overhaul of Probes & Experiments:

WAC/Bumper

Sputnik 1

Sputnik 2

Explorer 1

Vanguard

Luna 1 (First Impact Probe!)

New separate Tech Tree for Stock & KSPI Science

New separate Tech Tree for Kethane, EPL & KSPI Mining

New Tech line for Antennas & Dishes (To be used with RO_RT2 tweaks by Brooklyn666)

Multiple mods added to the tree (See OP for full list)

New LAZOR sub tech tree

New Infernal Robotics sub tech tree

And many more I've forgotten since I've work on it for so long D:

Hotfix MS19c fix list: (Released 2014/05/06)

Luna 1 Chemtrail experiment is set to Flying High. (Flying Low is mostly below ground for now)

Fxed timewarp not working for CustomExperiment plugin (NathanKell)

Fixed the placement of some FASA tanks & engines.

Hotfix MS19d fix list: (Released 2014/05/08)

Updated Data Recorder input/output values to account for the Timewarp Fix.

Fixed timewarp not working for ChemicalRelease plugin. (Based on Nathan's fix)

Reduced Vanguard battery to 200

Updated Vanguard Experiment #2 cost to 10000 (~166 minutes, so use Time warp!)

Edited by MedievalNerd

Old Patch Notes:

[B]Fix Notes: Updated Milestone 18b[/B]

* Fixed Custom Experiment Plugin not verifying situations/experiments properly.
* Updated to latest versions of all Essential mods in the Mini Realism Pack.
* Rewrote the OP to make it clearer and included installation instructions.
* Added new instructions file in the pack as well. (Same as OP)

[B]Patch Notes: Updated Milestone 18a[/B]

Tech Tree:

* Created a Realism MiniPack to minimize confusion/downloads.
* Reorganized some tech lines (placement wise)
* Reshuffled Engines to fit new tech levels of the MiniPack.
* Reshuffled Capsules tech line entirely, put non tweaked capsules later until they also get tweaked.
* Merged Adapters & Fairings
* Engineering now includes Structurals & Dockping Ports
* "new" Staging Tech line - Decouplers & Seperators + Parachutes.
* Added additional node for KAS. (Winches & Grapling comes in 2nd tier)
* Various other reshuffles to account for all the new parts. (struts, ports, adapters, etc.)

Plugin & Custom Experiments

* Fixed Lunar mission bug with not being able to perform mission while landed.
* Added multiple possible TargetSituations to Data recorder to allow grouping experiment of different situations within the same probe. (Cube2)
* Added Eve & Duna flybys data readings.
* Manned Capsules are available from Tier 1 Probes, but still more expensive.
* Added custom error messages for Data Recorder and Experiments. In order of importance they will say what is their TargetBody, TargetSituation(s).

Updated Milestone 17a

* Added More nodes for Solar Panels (Integrated tweaked AIES solar panels)
* Separated tech line for RTGs
* Reorganized Nuclear, placed stock nuclear engine in separate node.
* Made Capsules available by T2
* Added numerous descriptions to tech nodes, mainly Fuel Engines & SRBs. (Written tech level and estimated date of the tech)

Edited by MedievalNerd

I can see some nodes for mods which are not in the list. Like Kethane, Infernal Robotics and LAZOR. What about this mods?

Are they not supported at the moment? Or can I install they too? If yes, then please add them to the list.

And what about "Deadly Reentry" or "RealChute"?

Is "Citylights and Clouds" compatible with "Real Solar System"?

So many questions, but I hope you will answer.

Sorry, if my english is not perfect, i am from germany.

I hope, your mod will be soon avaible for TreeLoader, becaus i can't install TreeEdit.

Thank you for this mod, great work! I will play it as soon as I can!

Edited by ArthurCVI

I can see some nodes for mods which are not in the list. Like Kethane, Infernal Robotics and LAZOR. What about this mods?

Are they not supported at the moment? Or can I install they too? If yes, then please add them to the list.

And what about "Deadly Reentry" or "RealChute"?

Is "Citylights and Clouds" compatible with "Real Solar System"?

So many questions, but I hope you will answer.

Sorry, if my english is not perfect, i am from germany.

I hope, your mod will be soon avaible for TreeLoader, becaus i can't install TreeEdit.

Thank you for this mod, great work! I will play it as soon as I can!

Oups,

Yeah sorry! I've been working on this for so long that I get tunnel vision on some of the details.

I do believe city clouds is compatible with Reals Solar System. Since from what I saw NathanKell is using it. (creator) Maybe just pop on that thread and look to see if there is maybe some setting you need to tweak. :)

Kethane & ExtraPlanetary are both supported and included yes! If I forget something in the list but you see it in the tech tree it's definitely there. And yes, it supports Deadly re-entry! I'll update the list and put all the links a little later. Thanks for pointing that out!

As for release, I'm just waiting for my smoke signals to reach r4m0n. :)

EDIT: Updated the mod list. (missing some links but i'll add them later, those should be easy to find!)

Edited by MedievalNerd

You really should pack every mod into a single file. The user should not have to do anything to play your tree as intended but extract a single file. Similarly, KAS and Kethane don't even have tree settings in the mod!

The majority of mods allow for redistribution in their license, so long as you don't steal credit.

@BrickedKeyboard,

Not sure I could repack it all depending on the licenses, and also, it would make the pack quite large. And for those who rather not use X or Y, it's extra download. Most people will already have copies of the latest of the above mods, so it's just a question of making yourself a checklist. Download all the mods and bingo. :)

I'm not entirely sure what you meant about Kethane & KAS don't even have tree settings in the mod? KAS for now is dumped in a single node branching of Tech 2 capsules. And Kethane has it's own tree branch next to Extra Planetary. (I probably misunderstood what you meant to say)

The tweak pack includes the tweaks for all the mods and everything, since those are just tweaks I did bundle them together. It also has the custom .dll for the new experiments.

If there are some smaller mods I overlooked, please feel free to let me know and i'll slip them in where relevant.

cheers,

Edited by MedievalNerd

Well, then the other problem is that the Mission Control plugin isn't so great. It does not seem to actually do anything but silently keep score (inaccurately) in the background.

Right now, I don't have Mission Controller missions implemented. So you don't need to worry about that. Just like any other tech tree, if you don't have the mods they support, you won't get the parts placed in them.

If you run into issues, just let me know.

Thank you for your answer and the edit of the list. I will install all the mods as soon as I am able to.

What about "Procedural Fairings"? And you haven't say anything about "RealChute".

I can see in the trech tree "Shuttle Program" did it mean tiberdyne Shuttle System?

Edited by ArthurCVI

Thank you for your answer and the edit of the list. I will install all the mods as soon as I am able to.

What about "Procedural Fairings"? And you haven't say anything about "RealChute".

I can see in the trech tree "Shuttle Program" did it mean tiberdyne Shuttle System?

Procedural Fairings, yes, that is supported!

RealChute, I did want to take a look at it

As for Shuttle system, for now it's the MK3 cockpit. I am considering of getting US/RU Shuttles.

there are still a bunch of tweaks/additions I want to make, but I've been working on this for literally 1 month now. So I sort of wanted to get something out there to start collecting feedback from other players. I some point you get tunnel vision.

RealChute, and ECLSS are two additions i'm definitely considering.

Will TAC Life Support work together with ECLSS?

Today I was able to try out the mods and they work together.

I wonder why TreeEdit don't work for me, so, I wasn't able to try out your TechTree.

TreeLoader is still working, so ,I have to wait for the tree, until it is released in TreeLoader.

For now I can't say anything about it, but hopefully tomorrow.

In my opinion it's really hard to re-entry ,while deathly reentry and real solarsystem are installed, but I like challenges.

Will TAC Life Support work together with ECLSS?

Today I was able to try out the mods and they work together.

I wonder why TreeEdit don't work for me, so, I wasn't able to try out your TechTree.

TreeLoader is still working, so ,I have to wait for the tree, until it is released in TreeLoader.

For now I can't say anything about it, but hopefully tomorrow.

In my opinion it's really hard to re-entry ,while deathly reentry and real solarsystem are installed, but I like challenges.

Hi Arthur,

Just maybe a tip, you don't need to have both TreeEdit & TreeLoader at the same time. You only need TreeEdit. THe functionality of TreeLoader is still present. Maybe that's what is causing issues?

I'm most likely going to switch to ECLSS, since not only does it track LS, it apparently also tracks power usage/production. Another thing that I find really interesting.

As far as mods like ECLSS or TACLS, I can easily add/remove those parts in the tree with updates. So wherever the wind blows, we'll be able to switch things up. :)

I've been working on this for over a month now, so I didn't get much time to playtest. Something I really wanted to start today. I have enough custom experiments to lead you to ~tier 2 tech. But from that point you have to use the standard instruments (which are stored in the science tech line).

I think only r4m0n has access to publish things on TreeLoader, I'll check. R4m0n is quite the busy person, so we can't expect him to be available every day. :)

OK,

RE-ordered the OP, tried to make it more legible. I've also included an Excel Sheet that has all the mods I use, and their download links. Take note that anything like Kerbal Alarm clock is purely optional, I just included everything I like to fiddle with.

Cheers,

In regards to the LS issue, why couldn't you add the parts for all of them into the tech tree, with the note that only one should be used/installed at a time, that way if someone likes TAC better, they can use that, if they like IonCross or ECLSS better they can use those instead.

EDIT: How does one get TreeEdit at this time? It seems like everyone has it but me, and I have been wanting it since Tree Loader came out...

Progress,

In regards to the LS issue, why couldn't you add the parts for all of them into the tech tree, with the note that only one should be used/installed at a time, that way if someone likes TAC better, they can use that, if they like IonCross or ECLSS better they can use those instead.

EDIT: How does one get TreeEdit at this time? It seems like everyone has it but me, and I have been wanting it since Tree Loader came out...

Progress,

Sure, I already have TAC LS in the tree. I can leave it there and also add ECLSS. I'm hoping people would avoid having both of them at the same time. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.