[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

Agathorn, I, uh, forgot what thread I was on <blush>

Yes, obviously you will have a much more limited selection of parts than I was imagining--my apoloies!

Glad it worked anyway though, and my pleasure!

I know MedievalNerd is *planning* to put most fairing options at the start node, but until then I guess you are kinda stuck.

Anyway, here's what's happening. When you burn level to the surface, you're only ever so slightly raising your apogee, you're mostly raising your perigee. However, once your perigee is near your apogee, *then* burning horizontal will increase your apogee. Think about it in 2d terms. If you're traveling up, and you accelerate forward (parallel to the ground), you keep moving your landing point farther and farther away from you (your apogee won't change). Eventually you'll go so fast your landing point will no longer exist (orbit) at which point the faster you're going, the further *away* you go before gravity pulls you back.

EDIT: in other words, once your perigee rises above the earth's surface, it quickly becomes the apogee. The point in the orbit you've been raising so far, you continue to raise; the names just switch because the point on the far side of the world is now a higher altitude than the point near you.

Edited by NathanKell

For completion, here is the launch vehicle that is capable of doing it for me. I'm sure I could make it better, and this is a bit unstable, but it works.

34E5D2D7B1298F799E7122DC4046A3190D3214FE

Ironically I still haven't managed my science yet though lol. I need to do some reading on RemoteTech because apparently it doesn't work the way I thought, and I keep losing connection to my probe's when they go beyond line of sight of KSC :(

For completion, here is the launch vehicle that is capable of doing it for me. I'm sure I could make it better, and this is a bit unstable, but it works.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/504701728579333922/34E5D2D7B1298F799E7122DC4046A3190D3214FE/

Ironically I still haven't managed my science yet though lol. I need to do some reading on RemoteTech because apparently it doesn't work the way I thought, and I keep losing connection to my probe's when they go beyond line of sight of KSC :(

Antennas need LOS to be able to have communication link. So, until I put in some base stations for MS19, you have to setup a sat network to have '360' coverage of kerbin. Or else as soon as you go to far down your orbit, you'll lose LOS of KSC and then it's dead. You'll have to wait to swing back round to get comms back, and correct burn or what not.

Antennas need LOS to be able to have communication link. So, until I put in some base stations for MS19, you have to setup a sat network to have '360' coverage of kerbin. Or else as soon as you go to far down your orbit, you'll lose LOS of KSC and then it's dead. You'll have to wait to swing back round to get comms back, and correct burn or what not.

Yeah I figured that out, but i'm having trouble figuring out how to use other craft to relay the signal.

It's the *first* relay that's the problem...

Agathorn, try launching a few satellites into LEO first, then launching your geostationary one when the others are near to overhead. They'll relay KSC's signal to you as you complete your geostationary injection burn.

Sorry to ask this, been reading the last few posts... people seem to be again active. Is MS18 (now on TL) "fixed" to 0.23 (along with all the mods?) or has MS19 been released to test? If not thats my error, just seems people have started their RPL gameplay again. sorry if i am just confused lol

Also been playing with the SCANsat/L-Tech to test their usefulness, SCANsat seems flawless, other than mass/power fixes and a node position. L-tech is good, needs some "clean-up" work by author (found odd issue having to manually add clipboards and model rockets to "skylab"..*needed to use 0.23 to do this), it also could use mass/power fixes and a node position. To sum up other than some power use/mass issues that dont fit with the RO/RPL theme they seem very usable. (**for testing i had to use "old" 0.22 release of KSP & moved SCANsat/L-tech stuff to the "free node", if this info is needed)

Let me know if MS18 is now 0.23 "fixed" or if MS19 is out and i somehow missed it. Other than that something i cant say enough is>> GREAT WORK

Edited by Guest

It's the *first* relay that's the problem...

Yeah, this. Plus the Omni antennas I have right now are a tad short for good coverage in GEO. I was trying to figure out how to do relays using the more powerful directional antenna.

Agathorn, try launching a few satellites into LEO first, then launching your geostationary one when the others are near to overhead. They'll relay KSC's signal to you as you complete your geostationary injection burn.

Took a few tries but I managed to get a couple in highly eccentric orbits that cap out around 40Mm. That combine with timing just a few minutes ago allowed me to have an active signal to a probe as it passed 35Mm and I got my data :D.

Unfortunately it was only worth 100 science, so now I need to manage to get one up there and return it for another 250. Thing is though the next tech level of engines is 500 science so i'm still falling way short.

Aazard: The mods MS18 requires are, AFAIK, all updated for .23, and treeloader still works on .23, so MS18 is playable. MS19 is coming soon though.

That said, I Am Not MedievalNerd

Agathorn: cool! :)

Returning...yikes. Hope you have good shielding and reenter right over KSC :)

Yeah, this. Plus the Omni antennas I have right now are a tad short for good coverage in GEO. I was trying to figure out how to do relays using the more powerful directional antenna.

Took a few tries but I managed to get a couple in highly eccentric orbits that cap out around 40Mm. That combine with timing just a few minutes ago allowed me to have an active signal to a probe as it passed 35Mm and I got my data :D.

Unfortunately it was only worth 100 science, so now I need to manage to get one up there and return it for another 250. Thing is though the next tech level of engines is 500 science so i'm still falling way short.

There will be way more accessible science earlier on, though the custom experiments.

And Nathan already answered the state of RPL right now. I gave a good plow through yesterday, today I had to do chores to keep my wife happy, so didn't manage to slip in some time. Maybe a bit tonight. Things are moving along smoothly. I'd say I'm about 70% done at this point.

The major thing that will take time is to hand reroll all the antennas and dishes, and make a sort of gamey progression based on range. Thinking of spiting antennas and dishes.

I'll also bundle up a few placeholder missions for Moon, Mars and Venus. That will at least give us a good base to work more on balance.

Thanks again for all the feedback and for taking the time to try it out in these early stages. :)

That said, I Am Not MedievalNerd <<< LOL, thats golden

He's not, but without him nearly nothing of this would have happened. Nathan's been a pillar of help throughout the entire process, his brain is a chest of knowledge that I'm grateful he lets me peek inside! :D

Agathorn, take a look into the RealChute mod by stupid_chris. You can "arm" the chutes to open automatically (according to the tweakables) while still in comm range.

Also for the first few comm sats use a very steep accent path, it is dV inefficient but keeps you in LoS of KSC.

I have a few questions about modular tanks and real fuels. I already had real fuels, but I added modular tanks so I could use this tree, however, the link on the first post is to version v3.3 which is obsolete. That post links to v4.1 and says that it's been split into real fuels and modular tanks. So my question are A) Do I need MFT version 4.1 AND RF? B) The mini pack on the first post contains the modular tanks folder. Is this the correct version? Also, inside that folder is the real fuels folder, and the real fuels zip. I have real fuels already directly in my GameData folder, so what do I do with the folder and zip inside the MFT folder?

Thanks for any help.

I have a few questions about modular tanks and real fuels. I already had real fuels, but I added modular tanks so I could use this tree, however, the link on the first post is to version v3.3 which is obsolete. That post links to v4.1 and says that it's been split into real fuels and modular tanks. So my question are A) Do I need MFT version 4.1 AND RF? B) The mini pack on the first post contains the modular tanks folder. Is this the correct version? Also, inside that folder is the real fuels folder, and the real fuels zip. I have real fuels already directly in my GameData folder, so what do I do with the folder and zip inside the MFT folder?

Thanks for any help.

Hey there,

First that confusion will all be cleared once I release RPL Milestone 19. Since Real Fuels will be part of the minipack, you won't have to fiddle with anything. That being said, right now you should only use the 'old' MFT (included in the pack), OR use RealFuels with the RftsEngine config file! (Don't work with RealEngine config)

Hope that helps!

So just to clarify, If I already have RealFuels with the RftsEngine config file, I DON'T need either version of MFT, correct? And the RftsEngines file is the RftSEngines.cfg that's in my GameData/RealismOverhaul folder?

Hey there,

First that confusion will all be cleared once I release RPL Milestone 19. Since Real Fuels will be part of the minipack, you won't have to fiddle with anything. That being said, right now you should only use the 'old' MFT (included in the pack), OR use RealFuels with the RftsEngine config file! (Don't work with RealEngine config)

Hope that helps!

Edited by brooklyn666
clarification

MedievalNerd could you please update OP to no longer mention Modular Fuels? Real Fuels superseded it, and *only* Real Fuels should be installed. :)

MFS of any sort won't work in .23.

Doh, sorry!

Yeah, ok, I'll get that out of there. I wish I could give you rights to edit the OP too. lol

Added a big bold black warning about 0.23 & MFT/Minipack/Realfuels.

Sorry for the nause Nathan!

Edited by MedievalNerd

I really hate asking this, because IMO, real life comes first. But I only ask because I just got a brand new computer and want to know if I should hold off or not.

Do you have a "hopeful target date" for when you want to publish RS19. I know, any dates provided are not set in stone, I am not looking for something to hold you accountable to nor am I wanting to pressure you. I just want to know if I should bother downloading RS18 and spending the time fixing it for .23

As always, thanks for all your hard work and dedication, it is greatly appreciated.

I thought I saw this asked somewhere already, but I can't find it, so forgive me for asking again. Does RT2 have the correct comm ranges for this tree and RSS, or is it for the stock game, and if its for the stock game, how can I adjust the ranges to fit with RSS?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.