[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

OMG long time and no KSP for me. Big work project ate up like 6 weeks of my life.

Whats new in RPL/RSS in lets say the last 8 weeks (major highlights only please lol)... i'll try to read the backlog of info on my own but any cliff-notes would be great!

I hope MN and Nathan are doing well. Glad to be back to RPL/RSS...must sim NOW

Could use some help.

Is it right for me to not have any stretchy tanks at all at the beginning? I uploaded and installed all mods in the exact order as directed, and when MuMech popped up I selected the right category. or some odd reason I see in one of the free opening technologies a bunch of engines and fuel tanks that I cannot see/use in the construction building.

Thanks yall, great mods by the way!

Could use some help.

Is it right for me to not have any stretchy tanks at all at the beginning? I uploaded and installed all mods in the exact order as directed, and when MuMech popped up I selected the right category. or some odd reason I see in one of the free opening technologies a bunch of engines and fuel tanks that I cannot see/use in the construction building.

Thanks yall, great mods by the way!

Fixed,

Found out the reason and I'm just to ashamed to admit it haha. Anyways, thank you so much for this astounding mod, I am completely addicted to this game again. :kiss:

Hey man, glad to see this still running!

Coming back to KSP and RO after 4 or 5 months away, and picking this back up.

I'm also curious about Mission Controller and i'm wondering what is needed to implement it? I saw you mention it as upcoming but not yet implemented. I'm just curious what needs to be done to implement it?

I was just wondering, is there any counterpart to RS-68 ingame with all the essential mods installed? (including bobcat's soviet engine pack and RftS) I have found only the RD-69 (I think it's called that), it is hydrolox, ISP fits too, but the thrust is really low compared to the real life version. Ingame it has something over 2MN of thrust (upgraded) and IRL it's 3.4MN. I tried to create a replica of Delta IV and the only way I could achieve that was by putting 2 of those engines on :/ It's pretty known engine and I somehow don't think that it's not included in the RftS pack, so what am I missing here?

I was just wondering, is there any counterpart to RS-68 ingame with all the essential mods installed? (including bobcat's soviet engine pack and RftS) I have found only the RD-69 (I think it's called that), it is hydrolox, ISP fits too, but the thrust is really low compared to the real life version. Ingame it has something over 2MN of thrust (upgraded) and IRL it's 3.4MN. I tried to create a replica of Delta IV and the only way I could achieve that was by putting 2 of those engines on :/ It's pretty known engine and I somehow don't think that it's not included in the RftS pack, so what am I missing here?

There is your problem...RftS doesn't do 'real' engines, it does quasi-real stuff. If you want REAL engines, you need RealEngines by SFJackBauer...or wait a day or so and RO will have it included...problem is though RftS is a requirement for RPL...so kinda have to pick and choose which way you want to go.

Yea, I know it's not exactly "real" engines, but the description says that the stats are same, but it looks different

Realism Overhaul requires the selection of an Engine pack. The two suggested packs (pick one) are either SFJackBauer's RealEngines pack (which gives engines the stats of real-world engines that look similar, like NovaPunch K2-X -> J-2) and my Reaching for the Stars pack, which gives engines "realistic" stats informed by real-world engines without being clones.

Yea, I know it's not exactly "real" engines, but the description says that the stats are same, but it looks different

Guess there isn't a RS-68'ish' engine. Be a good question to ask NathanKell over in the RftS thread.

Anyone got any suggestions for getting Sputnik 2 into orbit?

That damn thing has no SAS and I just can't control it manually well enough to put a pig in space. ;.;

As someone who was in your situation just a week or so ago, let me say how I did it:

It's difficult as heck, that's for sure. If you hit caps-lock, it switches your gimbal to more precise mode (didn't know that myself until someone in this tread told me about this), which helps towards the end of the burn. Personally I didn't really put it in a proper orbit - the periapsis was still in the atmosphere, although high enough for the "orbit" to not decay too quickly (around 120 km iirc). That was good enough to do the experiments and move on.

griffin247: First you need to fix your capslock key :P

Also, that tells us nothing about what's wrong. "It's broke!" Isn't a question. Ask a real question, get a real answer. :)

Mirean: the LR69 is basically an SSME. The Aedile is like 2x RS-68. As RedAV8R says, however, RftS does not replicate real engines; it makes realistic ones. However, RedAV8R, as this tree *requires* RftS, saying "just use RealEngines" isn't really an option :P

I have tried both StretchySRBs and Procedural Parts and I prefer StretchySRBs...mainly because I don't like the new tweakables and because in Procedural Parts, tanks have maximum volume, so you have to use like 5 or more tanks stacked on top of each other and this usually messed with mechjeb.

NathanKell: I guess griffin247 might be having the same issue with MechJeb that I am, which is that the manoeuver planner window doesn't show up in career mode which make flying a Luna-style direct ascent to the moon rather difficult.

Mirean: you can write your own engine configs if you want; I wrote some for the R-7 replica I made. There is a spreadsheet kicking around somewhere on the RF or RO threads (sorry, I can't find the link) that makes it straight forward to do. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to clone parts, I've only managed to get one to show up in the VAB even in sandbox, so my configs have to override the RftS ones :(.

I'm seeing procedural tanks as unlocked in the R&D screen, but they don't show up in the VAB. Not even as a disabled option. they just plain don't show up.

Go to the procedural parts page, and it shows you a file you have to delete in game data to get stretchy tanks to show up.

Go to the procedural parts page, and it shows you a file you have to delete in game data to get stretchy tanks to show up.

Yeah I already did that. It didn't make a difference. That was the first thing I checked.

Maybe I messed it up. I'll look again.

Question:

Is the Geosynchronous orbit the same as Earth in this series of mods? IE: 35,786KM?

If this is so, hows everyone doing in achieving this. I haven't put to much work towards it but obviously I'm gonna need it for moon travel!

Question:

Is the Geosynchronous orbit the same as Earth in this series of mods? IE: 35,786KM?

If this is so, hows everyone doing in achieving this. I haven't put to much work towards it but obviously I'm gonna need it for moon travel!

It is around there, The easiest way to get a geosynch is having Kerbal Engineer and just putting your orbital period at 24 hours. It might not be geosynch, but your position should be nearly the same so it shouldn't matter. To get to this orbit you generally need around 16k dV, Reasonably annoying with early tech, and really easy with later tech.

NathanKell: I guess griffin247 might be having the same issue with MechJeb that I am, which is that the manoeuver planner window doesn't show up in career mode which make flying a Luna-style direct ascent to the moon rather difficult.

Mirean: you can write your own engine configs if you want; I wrote some for the R-7 replica I made. There is a spreadsheet kicking around somewhere on the RF or RO threads (sorry, I can't find the link) that makes it straight forward to do. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to clone parts, I've only managed to get one to show up in the VAB even in sandbox, so my configs have to override the RftS ones :(.

Yes that is it . I am on luna 1 but cant get to the moon from LEO as i cant use MJ to get me there Because i dont have the nessecary Modules Visable. am also having random crashes but i can live with that. Ive seen that cerubus videos have the correct MJ modules so i wonder if he has the soulution?

It is around there, The easiest way to get a geosynch is having Kerbal Engineer and just putting your orbital period at 24 hours. It might not be geosynch, but your position should be nearly the same so it shouldn't matter. To get to this orbit you generally need around 16k dV, Reasonably annoying with early tech, and really easy with later tech.

Actually, if you really want a geosynchronous orbit that won't drift away, you want 23 hours 56 minutes 4.1 seconds, any deviation will mean drifting. For example, if you had it at 24 hours, your spacecraft would drift by ~1°/day, so in a month, it would be 30° away.

I found that it's easiest to follow real life examples. Build a launcher that can *just* get the satellite to GTO (for this, you need approximately 12km/s) and then let the spacecraft itself circularize (1.5km/s). Also, if you want to change your inclination (e.g. you are launching from Cape Canaveral), add some fuel to that too. The most efficient way to do that is to burn to GTO at ascending/descending node with equatorial plane, and then perform a GEO insertion burn + plane change burn at once. You can calculate the amount by doing a vector difference between the velocity vectors of the 2 orbits (initial + desired). Which is, basically, a basic trigonometric math. I will spare you the calculations, but the result is 1833m/s to circularize and change plane at once (GTO = 250x35786km orbit). If you instead wanted to first circularize and then perform a plane change (you are not burning at AN/DN), it will be much more expensive - 1.5km/s for circularization and 1.5km/s more for inclination change, so 3km/s total.

It's definitely possible without MJ, I did it. Hint: you can use RCS to make small adjustments to your trajectory.

EDIT: This is of course addressed at Griffin.

EDIT2: Actually, even this is possible without MJ, as I just succeeded in doing it:

nVPhZAM.png

This is my take on Wenera, Weneryczny Zdobywca (a play on words, it means "venereal conqueror" in Polish), performing a close fly-by of Venus. It felt awesome, my thanks to all the modders who made this possible.

Edited by Hattivat

Sorry to double post, but I think quite a few people in this thread will be interested:

I now have full Mechjeb functionality, including the manuever planner. It seems that rovers (3rd level of landing tech) need to be researched to unlock that. Hope this helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.