openROV

tom1499

I'm sure we've got a few RC hobbyists building planes and quads and all sorts of flying monstrosities, and we must have a couple of roboteers on here, but I don't think we've got a a submarine maker.

openROV seems to have taken off in the last few days, I saw the post on the BeagleBoard website and the next morning its on every damn news website in the world. At it's heart it's an 'Open Source' submarine drone designed to be able to be built by anyone with a soldering iron and a hot glue gun. It includes an Arduino Mega and a BeagleBone Black as control boards, and a 1080p camera for lovely views. You can buy a kit for $800 or cut pieces from scratch, but either way it's a far cry from the 20,000 you had to pay previously for a ROV-sub. Right now I've already got a tricopter and a rover on my hands, but maybe in 6 months I might just fork up the $800 for the kit. I suppose that's what you do when you live in one of the best locations for diving, but can't actually dive. :D

#offtopic

Would anyone be interested in an RC thread? An Arduino or Raspberry Pi thread? Robotics? Anyone done any crazy BASIC Stamp projects? 555 Timer? Homemade microprocessor?

#endofftopic

EDIT:Does this belong in The Science Labs? I suppose its a hobby thing, but then also its a pretty cool scientific platform. Can a Mod move it if appropriate, else please say so. :)

Edited by tom1499

OpenROV looks quite interesting its a shame I can't im no good at building stuff.

I'm no good either but I trudge on through these projects nonetheless! I've learnt more about electronics and construction from taking the plunge and sticking my finger into things than I have by not doing so! But I'm not trying to get you to buy one of those things though. You don't really 'take the plunge and commit' with $800.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.