The Versatility Marathon Challenge

What your basically asking us to build in other words is a space tug for the core stage, and then we'll attach mission payloads to that?

Yeah, it's also a station for your crew. So it has to carry the payloads, landers, and crew, as well as enough fuel to refuel a lander if multiple landings are required. So although it can act as a tug, it's better to think of it as a mobile command center.

I need a picture of the craft without any additions to it. Your craft submission can't have any docked pieces to it and it has to be capable of preforming the Mun test run to low mun orbit and back to LKO without the aid of any attachments. However the craft that you have things docked to is fine to use as long as the main command part can do the Mun run and back on it's own. You can launch a duplicate to prove this without taking you craft apart if you wish. I believe your core craft is the top section with the four engines.

Ok, then this is not the challenge for that craft, I may have misread the challenge. I thought this was for a craft versatile enough to do any challenge in space to and from another planet. No big deal I may submit something else later. But I use FAR+DRE+RT2 so I use B9 parts and Procedural wings for most of my space plane SSTOs, and they are the only thing I currently have that is flexible enough to do anything, I built them that way.

I may just use the command/drive section.

Edited by Hodo

Je6dLHt.jpg

Here are my submission. I just need to bring it to LKO, to the Mun Lower Orbit, then back to LKO, then it will be officially accepted in this challenge?

Done. I just forget to bring Bill/Bob together. Anyhow, I think I can just attach a chair to send them up there. When the 1st mission is revealed。

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Sirine

Your core craft cannot be separated, the core craft has to be one complete piece and not made of multiple docked sections.

Well, your core craft has engines docked to it that you state can be removed and replaced...

Please elaborate.

Further, I formally protest your exclusion of MechJeb. I use MechJeb primarily to relieve tedium. Virtually everything MechJeb does for me, I can do better. But I don't want to sit with my eyes glued to a 10 minute ejection burn.

Oh, and...

This is a challenge to see how versatile of a craft you can build

Then why...

No mods that use flight control systems or anything of that nature.

Yeah.

MechJeb should be allowed.

edit: all the career accomplishments you see below are WITHOUT MechJeb.

Ok, then this is not the challenge for that craft, I may have misread the challenge. I thought this was for a craft versatile enough to do any challenge in space to and from another planet. No big deal I may submit something else later. But I use FAR+DRE+RT2 so I use B9 parts and Procedural wings for most of my space plane SSTOs, and they are the only thing I currently have that is flexible enough to do anything, I built them that way.

I may just use the command/drive section.

Well, your starting out with a craft that can go to the Mun and back to Kerban just as a core requirement test run. If you add additional modules to it to be able to go to other planets and come back, then that's good because eventually there will be missions that will require you to do that.

Je6dLHt.jpg

Here are my submission. I just need to bring it to LKO, to the Mun Lower Orbit, then back to LKO, then it will be officially accepted in this challenge?

Yes, as long as it can perform that short test run, then this craft is good to go as your core craft. I like the look with the two aircraft cockpits on it, nice and compact core craft.

Well, your core craft has engines docked to it that you state can be removed and replaced...

Please elaborate.

Further, I formally protest your exclusion of MechJeb. I use MechJeb primarily to relieve tedium. Virtually everything MechJeb does for me, I can do better. But I don't want to sit with my eyes glued to a 10 minute ejection burn.

Oh, and...

Then why...

Yeah.

MechJeb should be allowed.

edit: all the career accomplishments you see below are WITHOUT MechJeb.

Well for the first part, the engines can't be reattached, the main engines are the 24-77's. The entire core craft can perform the test run with or without the nuclear engines. Other than the engines being stuck on the bottom, the rest of the craft is all one piece and can't be separated. Nothing else is docked to another docking port.

If you feel that strongly about the use of Mech Jeb and no one feels that Mech Jeb shouldn't be used, then I'll allow the use of Mech Jeb.

Well, your starting out with a craft that can go to the Mun and back to Kerban just as a core requirement test run. If you add additional modules to it to be able to go to other planets and come back, then that's good because eventually there will be missions that will require you to do that.

I have three craft currently that can do that, of which 2 are well with in the challenge rules as long as B9 parts are aloud, the other one has a SABRE engine on it and I don't feel like trying to really explain that part. And is that in one launch, from Kerbin to the Mun and back no refueling, and does this include landing? I am asking because I really need the exact rules on what is aloud what isn't, what exactly you want for a submission? So I can find something in my list, or modify one of my SVO line or the DX-1, or build something completely new?

If so I have one craft that can do that.. mostly. But it uses B9 VTOL rocket engines, they are 100kn power rockets that have an ISP of 370-390 but can pivot 180 degrees so they can function as VTOL engines. But it is currently my smallest SSTO that can reach the Mun and back from Kerbin without refueling.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Yes, as long as it can perform that short test run, then this craft is good to go as your core craft. I like the look with the two aircraft cockpits on it, nice and compact core craft.

Thanks. The previous post included the short test run. So, I'm waiting for your 1st mission.

I have three craft currently that can do that, of which 2 are well with in the challenge rules as long as B9 parts are aloud, the other one has a SABRE engine on it and I don't feel like trying to really explain that part. And is that in one launch, from Kerbin to the Mun and back no refueling, and does this include landing? I am asking because I really need the exact rules on what is aloud what isn't, what exactly you want for a submission? So I can find something in my list, or modify one of my SVO line or the DX-1, or build something completely new?

What you need is a starting craft that can go to an orbit of Mun at 50,000 meters, no landing, get back to LKO at 75,000 meters. You don't have to land at any time. It's only to show that the starting craft can move a short distance under it's own propulsion and seat 2 Kerbals with no additional docked components to it. The DX-1 looks like a great craft, but it's a bunch of parts that are docked together already. Your core craft can't have two parts that are docked to start with. You start with one piece. You will eventually have to carry payloads to other planets. So if you design a core craft and then add attachments to it later, that's fine, you're planning ahead.

For your first screenshot submission you must have:

1. One craft with nothing docked to it, unless it's like my example where I have an engine on the bottom with no docking port.

2. Must seat 2 Kerbals

3. Must be capable of the Mun and back to LKO test run.

4. Must be capable of adding parts and carrying payloads through the use of docking ports

As long as the main command pod of your DX-1 can go to the Mun and back to Kerban without the other attachments docked to it, then you're good to go.

Edited by 700NitroXpress

If you're going to make any more changes to your core craft, do it now before the first mission. Command seat is fine.

It is done. Looking forward for your 1st mission. Do I have to re-launch to Mun for that little amendment?

You build a new craft that you can attach different payloads to and use it as transportation vehicle for multiple missions. That craft has to stay in orbit unless otherwise stated by the different missions. The whole idea is to start out with a craft that you can adapt to carry all of the payloads and reuse over and over through all of the missions. If you get through a mission and complete all of the mission's challenges, then you get maximum points. After 2 weeks, there's a new mission, you can only launch up attachments and mission critical gear.

I understand the rules. I just don't understand why for a "versatility challenge" do I need to design something that's less versatile than what I already have. Why would I need to declare one part of my system a "main part" and take it with me to all missions even when it's pointless on them. Why would I need to leave it in orbit if it's able to land. And why would I need to use inefficient designs (SSTO, shuttle, non-asparagus staging) in order to gain more points in the challenge.

Yeah i'd tend to agree with ThreeMartiniLaunch on Mechjeb, (i'm guessing thats been added since i last looked in detail at the rules), besides the fact Mun and back is about my limits without it, to me this sounds like it's about our skill in building a design to achieve varied parameters, not our skill as pilots in piloting it. Certainly i'd have no issues with non-jeb users getting a hefty bonus mind.

Yeah i'd tend to agree with ThreeMartiniLaunch on Mechjeb, (i'm guessing thats been added since i last looked in detail at the rules), besides the fact Mun and back is about my limits without it, to me this sounds like it's about our skill in building a design to achieve varied parameters, not our skill as pilots in piloting it. Certainly i'd have no issues with non-jeb users getting a hefty bonus mind.

Yeah, now everyone can use Mech Jeb if they wish. Do you mean that their should be a bonus in points for non-jeb users?

1 satellite for "both equatorial and polar orbits"...how?

The "core craft" should be waiting at LKO...awaiting attachment of rovers & lander. Right?

Or this is the 1st mission. So, the "Core Craft" are to be launch together with rovers & lander as...1st mission?

Edited by Sirine

I understand the rules. I just don't understand why for a "versatility challenge" do I need to design something that's less versatile than what I already have. Why would I need to declare one part of my system a "main part" and take it with me to all missions even when it's pointless on them. Why would I need to leave it in orbit if it's able to land. And why would I need to use inefficient designs (SSTO, shuttle, non-asparagus staging) in order to gain more points in the challenge.

It's for the spirit of the challenge. It's about how long you can maintain the same well designed craft under the limitations. You leave it in orbit to refuel it later and the landing missions are to be done with a separate lander, unless it states that you can land the entire vessel. As for using an SSTO, shuttle, and non asparagus staging, it's mainly to see if you can use different methods to achieve the same result. Building an SSTO or shuttle to carry payloads up would be more difficult depending on the payload weight and how easily it can attach to the craft carrying it. Non-asparagus staging to get things into orbit is simple enough, but it's a lower point value. A lot of the challenges that award different points is to separate more skilled engineers from new players, but I would still like people of all skill levels to be able to compete in the challenge.

Your craft has to be versatile, but maybe versatile isn't the best word to describe the challenge as a whole. It's a marathon challenge with new missions every two weeks, you have to keep and maintain the same craft you start with at the beginning, adapt it to the mission parameters, and get everything back to Kerban in the end. I guess it's in a way, simulating the cost constraints and missions that aren't officially made apart of the game yet. If you can think of a better name for the challenge then let me know, if it helps describe the challenge better I'll change the name so it makes more sense.

1 satellite for "both equatorial and polar orbits"...how?

The "core craft" should be waiting at LKO...awaiting attachment of rovers & lander. Right?

Or this is the 1st mission. So, the "Core Craft" are to be launch together with rovers & lander as...1st mission?

You can easily attach the satellites to your craft. You only need 2 satellites to complete the mission, one for Minmus and one for Mun. This is the first mission, but you now have to launch the payload into orbit and connect it to your craft. You'll need engines with enough fuel to get the job done, a lander, and a module to carry the equipment. I'll post a picture of mine once I put my mission module together. You can't relaunch your core craft into orbit, it's there to stay. This challenge tests engineering skill and docking skill.

Edited by 700NitroXpress

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.