Using science in R&D for things other than parts

Hello, as a new player that got his start in .22 I wanted to share some of my perspective on career mode. Unlocking parts in slow build up manner is really helpful for learning the game, however a lot of really understanding the game comes from navigation and non-VAB related elements. It would be nice to see a branch if the tree that would give information on various celestial bodies.

Maybe have the first node free and it explains gravity turns and orbiting, basically a node about Kerbin. Then the next could be something like how to get to the Mun and Minmus. Hopefully even giving the player some kind of "launch window" in game when those places are set as target along with some written information about how to raise your apogee and all that.

Then the nodes could start giving information on other planets and opening up in game "launch window" displays to help guide new players without them needing to seek outside resources in order to know when to head to Duna for example.

I think something like this could be useful for giving new players a series of goals. I get science from Kerbin and I use it to learn how to get to the Mun. Then I get science from the Mun and learn how to get to Duna, etc... In game transfer window notifications would still be convenient for advanced players so there would still be some incentive for them to spend science unlocking these nodes.

Thank You and I love this game!

Indeed. Limiting maneuver nodes and predictions and probe control ranges would be cool. Perhaps, at first, we could have realistic delays, and the need for in-orbit nodes? Perhaps, later, you could then research FTL transmission to get the current version (as of now .22) experience.

I love this! What else could be unlocked?

* Radar altimeter

* delta V and ship mass display

* action groups

* map screen

* EVA mode

* EVA jet packs

I'm not listing these in the order they should be unlocked. Just the order they occurred to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.