Tips and tricks you found out yourself

I've been reading through this thread again and would like to offer two more and a clarification:

- Simple dV calculation with nuke engines: 1% fuel mass = 100m/s

^This is basically in relation to SSTOs where your fuel percentage to mass is mostly in the radial part of the logarithm curve.

- Learn (how) to play without using maneuver nodes. You will develop a better intuition of how to design and pilot your missions, particularly when things go wrong. IE; you are in a situation you hadn't planned for.

- For air-breathers, become intimately familiar with the engine altitude and velocity thrust curves to maximise your ascent payload weight and fuel efficiency.

The title says it all.

Did you know that the (-) and (+) keys do this?! I discovered it recently, and I feel that nto very many people know this.......

Spread the word!!!!!!

And I think it can only be done so with a numpad so far. I can't use either the (-) or (+) keys next to the backspace key, but the (-) and (+) keys on the numpad work.

People still need to know of this.

I used to struggle to make large vessels, of which the main reason was because I couldn't build too well, and when it came to needing more parts for a wider rocket, it became very hard to move the screen around. I discovered it in the past, then completely forgot about it. Discovered it again, and I was like, freak yeah! I built Kerbantis shortly after.

People REALLY need to know about this.

The title says it all.

Did you know that the (-) and (+) keys do this?! I discovered it recently, and I feel that nto very many people know this.......

Spread the word!!!!!!

And I think it can only be done so with a numpad so far. I can't use either the (-) or (+) keys next to the backspace key, but the (-) and (+) keys on the numpad work.

Sorry to burst your bubble but... That is pretty old news.

I'll be honest, this isn't common knowledge, matey. This 'ere be somethin' I ne'er knew of!

I'm not saying that it's uncommon knowledge because I didn't discover it, but after I've played the game for several years, thats gotta at least say something.

Anyway. The game has it set to an alternate key use. This means that it would only be known if someone extensively explored key combinations. The game has no part in the tutorial that explains this function, if I remember correctly.

I'll be honest, this isn't common knowledge, matey. This 'ere be somethin' I ne'er knew of!

I'm not saying that it's uncommon knowledge because I didn't discover it, but after I've played the game for several years, thats gotta at least say something.

Anyway. The game has it set to an alternate key use. This means that it would only be known if someone extensively explored key combinations. The game has no part in the tutorial that explains this function, if I remember correctly.

Hehe I learned about using - and + to zoom about while I was looking for RCS controls on the wiki... :sticktongue:

Err Guys, I think I've just found something amazing; You can make fine adjustments to maneuver nodes using the mouse-wheel!!

Place your cursor over one of the tabs on an open node and then scroll up or down to make fine adjustments. It seems to adjust the maneuver by 0.1ms for each notch on the mousewheel, but you have to have the cursor right on the middle of the tab or it doesn't work.

I found it completely by accident, had a node open and was zooming in when my cursor moved over the node and I stopped zooming and node twitched slightly.

Err Guys, I think I've just found something amazing; You can make fine adjustments to maneuver nodes using the mouse-wheel!!

Place your cursor over one of the tabs on an open node and then scroll up or down to make fine adjustments. It seems to adjust the maneuver by 0.1ms for each notch on the mousewheel, but you have to have the cursor right on the middle of the tab or it doesn't work.

I found it completely by accident, had a node open and was zooming in when my cursor moved over the node and I stopped zooming and node twitched slightly.

This was one of the less-publicised .23.5 features. Actually it did work in .23, but the mousewheel would also zoom at the same time making it often impractical.

It's not "linear", one notch on the mousewheel is indeed a small change, but a quick "flick" makes a proportionately much larger change.

Sticking maneuver nodes on the orbital path at another bodies SOI allows you to see further thus allowing you to see what planet you're about to fling yourself at.

Or even better! Increase the value of "CONIC_PATCH_LIMIT" in the settings.cfg. The default is 3, so it can only show up to three orbit lines at a time. I usually chage it to 7.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.