No Steam Achievements?

LethalDose

Sigh, some responses here are really disappointing :(

Achievements are actually a pretty cool game mechanic, but it was destroyed by the use in marketing. And now people either hate or prise them whatever their form while not looking actually what they could provide.

I don't like most steam achievements but i do believe it's possible to do them well, and KSP is actually one of the few games could benefit from them (when done right). Yes it's a sandbox game where you do your own adventure, but there are many game elements that are easily distinguishable so making a history log would be a lot easier thank in ex. Dwarf Fortress.

I can't see the point of achievements in a game where it is really up to you to make your own goals. Some of my best achievements are so quirky that I don't think they'd be recognised by an achievement system. I also find achievements popping up really kills immersion.

If they do add steam achievements it will be another reason I'd be glad to not be a steam user. If I was trying to film a cinematic shot of something and a little window pops up to pat me on the back I'd be really annoyed.

Yes the steam achivements are mostly bad, but if they get into your screenshot or brake immersion its players fault for not disabling them. (And it is steam fault of not giving us clear way to do this).

edit:

Only if they're set on the same level as the achievements from super meat boy. They're the only ones that actually mean anything :D

"Land a 1000 ton craft on Tylo"

Don't tempt me >_< I love Tylo and just bought new PC designed mostly for KSP/Dwarf fortress single threaded processing ... this will be one hell of a mission. Edited by Nao

If they do add steam achievements it will be another reason I'd be glad to not be a steam user. If I was trying to film a cinematic shot of something and a little window pops up to pat me on the back I'd be really annoyed.

Funny, you think only achievements can cause a steam pop up.

Hints just for you:

• it is possible to run KSP without Steam, game files are exactly the same
  • you can disable Steam overlay in just few clicks

Sigh, some responses here are really disappointing :(

Achievements are actually a pretty cool game mechanic, but it was destroyed by the use in marketing. And now people either hate or prise them whatever their form while not looking actually what they could provide.

Really? Give me one example off an achievement that adds real game content. And getting an extra achievement for doing something in a different way doesn't count, cause I can do that same thing in as many ways as I want without the achievement

Really? Give me one example off an achievement that adds real game content. And getting an extra achievement for doing something in a different way doesn't count, cause I can do that same thing in as many ways as I want without the achievement

I've raced more than a few friends to get various achievements in games. FTL, Magika, one of the total war games.

Good and well thought out achievements are interesting.

"Here is a list of formalized challenges thought out by the developers. Some of them are dead easy, (And are really just to make it easier to test that our achievement system is actually working. No, seriously, as a professional QA tester I absolutely hate when devs put in only far too complex achievements. Such a pain to be sure if there is a critical bug in the whole system or if they are just restricted to a few achievement unlocks.) some are actually challenging and will require you to go well out of your way to get, and a few are devilishly hard and barely any of you are likely to solve them."

Well designed achievements are something neat and interesting. They are ones that when you are 'done' with the game aren't unlocked. They are a set of challenges and pull the player in various directions and take them places they may not have decided to explore on their own.

And the best part of achievements? You can ignore them if they don't interest you.

At this point I think they should be glanced at. Confirm that the devs can tie a purely in game achievement system with the steam achievement system, and then set it on the back burner till a far later beta build in the game in much closer to its 'final' shape than it is now with more features hammered out.

Welp, steam achievements are quite bad in general. For me Magika has an "ok" achievement system. As the game is a parody of dungeon crawling RPG's and it uses achievements to enhance this, kind of like behind 4th wall narrator pointing out things and making funny remarks. And it works good IMHO.

As I've pointed out earlier, as a system, achievements can be cool, and game designers could use it to create nice things. The problem is that the whole idea was tainted early by marketing, like that "you killed your first enemy, gotta spam it everywhere so your friends know you are playing the game" , "first boss down! you are great, this game is designed for you, forget that it was a tutorial level and we are afraid you may drop our game if not rewarded enough" or "20/200 goblins gibbed, make sure to continue playing our game so that maybe your friends buy it too".

More advanced players started hating it so the whole thing became catch 42. Players hate achievements, better focus on more important things, and do them the easy way as everybody else is doing. And the circle closes.

I actually don't play enough games to give more steam achievements done well (some others are just non intrusive for me or aren't there). Although recently i've been bugged that in League of Legends, since i don't play ranked games i didn't get gold league achievement rewards. Aside from gold border and other unimportant stuff they gave unique skins for champion and wards that you cant normally get, and (this is the point) they were AWESOME. Also being awarded an "teamplayer" or "honorable opponent" achievement in lol (with a ribbon to your character that everybody can see) also feels quite good. This is achievements done right.

Edit: @ Luckless oh FTL yeah that too!

That may be true when they are there anyway, but in this case the implention of achievements would take away time to develop actual content. Which is the part everyone who is against achievements is against

Yeah,sure,achievements aren't content anyway.

/sarcasm

from a technical aspect it's problematic 3 fold

1: you need achievements. This means integrating a progress tracking of some sort, its coming along but is certainly far from being read in game already

2: you need steamworks integration. This is something the devs have decided they will not add, and they are hardly the only developer, less than 50% of titles available on steam have it and thus have no steam achievements. There are a number of good reasons that they have chosen this route; Parity for all players regardless of purchase platform, inclusion overheard on both the developement time and cost to include it, as well as the time necessary to actually give it a purpose.

3: you need to deal with the bugs that pop up from applying these two systems to each other. Have you ever SEEN the steamforum whineflood when "I DIDNT GET THIS ACHIEVEMENT AND I SHOULD HAVE! FIX NAOW!

No, you can't ignore them if they don't interest you. They're annoying. They break the feel of the game. They pop up and get in your face. The last thing I want in the final 10 seconds of a Mun landing is some goddamned popup. They're a reason I have not played career mode because I hate the "YUO WUN 'LANDING'!! U GETS DECOUPLERZ!!" mechanism.

If I wanted achievements, I'd go play call of duty or some such crap. Guess what, I'm not. I'm playing something more highbrow, where I want to get as far away as possible from the fact I'm playing a game.

Edit: and another reason I don't like achievements is I can't get them, so they sit there and bug me. I'm not Ray Narvaez Jr.

Edited by GeneCash

1: you need achievements. This means integrating a progress tracking of some sort, its coming along but is certainly far from being read in game already

It's already in the game, open career save file to see that.

No, you can't ignore them if they don't interest you. They're annoying. They break the feel of the game. They pop up and get in your face. The last thing I want in the final 10 seconds of a Mun landing is some goddamned popup.

You are free to turn the Steam overlay off in any game you desire.

They're a reason I have not played career mode because I hate the "YUO WUN 'LANDING'!! U GETS DECOUPLERZ!!" mechanism.

Maybe you should play carrer mode first to see how getting new parts actually looks like.

BTW what unlocking parts has to do with the achievements?

Edited by El wonso

The way they are building career mode, or at least as I understand it, the game will (and might already, without us knowing!??!?) track accomplishments as we advance through career. So achievements could easily be added into the stock game if Squad wanted them, so I see no need for steam specific achievements :P

It's already in the game, open career save file to see that.

A few lines in the save file =/= a finished working system

Please come back when you have a rebuttal worth reading that includes the entirety of my post rather than just a single line to which you couldn't even adequately address.

A few lines in the save file =/= a finished working system

I didn't notice you were writing about complete system (read instad of ready in your post).

Please come back when you have a rebuttal worth reading that includes the entirety of my post rather than just a single line to which you couldn't even adequately address.

If you don't think my post was worth reading, you are welcome to GTFO.

You missed the "Steam" part.

Oh dear. Now my friends can't see that I took off in KSP! BUT I WORKED SO HARD FOR THAT! That little box of text they could see...gone...I feel as if it has no meaning anymore. Oh. Wait.

I didn't notice you were writing about complete system (read instad of ready in your post).

Same thing. I thought they were talking about a completely terrible and unfinished addition to the game that everyone would love.

Much like your post and this thread, this is useless and should be removed/deleted/locked/whatever.

Edited by swiftgates24

Sorry guys, steam achievements are not planned for this game. It's on the what not to suggest list, as well as on the KSP wiki as something that is not going to happen.

KSP wasn't originally planned to be on the steam platform, but people clamored for it, so Squad decided to release it there. On that line of info, there also won't be a steam workshop integration either. It would leave people out, and achievements in the modern gaming sense would ruin the feel of the game.