Free offline games?

astropapi1

I'm going to be without internet for about two weeks because I'm going to a music festival. However, I'm staying in an empty apartment with a couple of beds and basic cooking equipment. blah blah blah.

I have the following offline-playable games installed:

-KSP (obviously).

-Spore.

-FTL.

-Toribash.

-Race Into Space.

What free offline games would you guys suggest?

Most free games tend to work on advertising or paid services, so there aren't that many. I'll have to say a few though:

Dwarf Fortress. If you have the patience to climb the learning.. I hesitate to say "curve" so much as "endless pit of the damned", then it is quite simply one of the most fun games in existence. Although, while you're learning you'll probably want access to the wiki, so maybe that isn't ideal if you have no internet access. Either way, it's worth a try; use the Lazy Newb Pack installer, as it comes with a bunch of helpful utilities that make the game just a little easier to get into. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

If you're into space shooters/dogfighters, then Diaspora: Shattered Armistice is worth a shot. It's a Freespace-Open game, based on Battlestar Galactica. It's quite short, but it's good fun.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81859.0

And of course you can never go wrong with a good old classic Roguelike; Nethack and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup being my personally preferred ones. Stone Soup is probably easier for new players, as it has an ingame tutorial and is a little more forgiving.

http://www.nethack.org/

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/

And if you like text adventures, Zork. ALL the Zork.

http://www.infocom-if.org/downloads/downloads.html

And I've -heard- that Moonbase Alpha is good, but I've never gotten around to trying it. Worth a look, perhaps.

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/national/ltp/games/moonbasealpha/index.html

There are a few other good ones that slip my mind at the moment, I'll come back if I remember them.

Edited by Panzerbeard

Well, Dwarf Fortress, which as already mentioned

and Aurora which is 4X in Space ... and, despite being non Newtonian (but with an explanation given, why) it tries to depict things rather realistical ...

for one with space combat (and design of your spaceships), for the other with the universe (you have the sol system, together with the whole solar neighborhood).

You even have first encounters as rather tense moments, where you always ask yourself, whether you shoudl raise shields or not (as this could be seen as a sign of aggression) and where you hope that the other ship doesn´t shoot :D

and also have rather limited knowledge about other star empires you might encounter, even if yu are at war (usually you only get knowledge about the capabilities of enemy ships by observing them in combat and recovering wrecks

Edited by Godot

There is Bungie's Marathon Trilogy, http://marathon.sourceforge.net. As the site indicates, if you like story driven games, start with the first. If a plot is uninteresting to you and you prefer colorful open spaces planet side (instead of dark claustrophobic gameplay inside a moon-turned-starship), try the second.

If you want more after those, try any of the many 3rd party "scenarios" (mods), linked at the same site.

If you want to see the gameplay of the first game and don't mind a spoiler of the first level, watch this:

Marathon 2 theme and cutscenes (but not a gameplay spoiler):

For completeness, Marathon Infinity theme and cutscenes (not a gameplay spoiler):

Edited by Dispatcher
Added videos.

Oh, I forgot about Dwarf Fortress.

I play lots of Adventurer Mode, but I'm kinda scared by the complexity of the normal dwarf mode. I was following a tutorial, but... blergh. Might try it out later.

Honestly, although it IS as complex as it looks, and then some, a lot of that complexity isn't really preventing you from playing it. The biggest hurdle is the interface, really, once you're used to that you can still play the game, even if you're not entirely sure what's going on; you don't need to do well to have fun with it. I'd say give it a shot, it's hugely enjoyable once you get into it, and it makes most other games seem rather empty and shallow by comparison, once you've really got stuck into it. :)

A Slower Speed Of Light, A game written by the MIT media lab where relativisitc effects form the basis of the gameplay.

Algodoo, An awesome little 2D physics game, try to build a high-throughput water pump, it's not as easy as you think.

Attack of the Paper Zombies is a nice free game where you try to capture areas and build turrets.

If you're up for some even better games, check out the history of the Humble Indie Bundle.

What I played for a good portion of my childhood: Flash games. Free, most of them good, and can sink countless hours into the good ones. My favorite flash game site is Bubblebox. Try there first, and see where you branch off to.

Unfortunately the OP is looking for offline games, and generally speaking downloading Flash games to play offline is a pain.

Prospector; a scifi game where you are a freelance ship captain in uncharted space. Highly recommended.

Unreal World; a Scandinavian Starvation Simulator where you are one man alone in the frozen North. Very highly recommended.

Dwarf Fortress; because these other schmucks haven't convinced you that you should just play Dwarf Fortress already, I'm going to say it again and louder. This is a great chance to learn to play it on your own, the way I did. You should honestly be shamed for this. People shamed me when I couldn't ski in Tribes, but did I mope around? No, I burned that shame as fuel and became a man fueled by shame and booze. Now go play Dwarf Fortress.

Alternately if there's a music festival in this town you're crashing in, you could just... hit the night life with all the other bored tourists.

Dwarf Fortress....I found I got along a lot better when I found an O-Reilly ebook for $5 on Amazon that I picked up for my kindle. I read through that, and then referenced it while I played, and found I got along much better. when I added Dwarf Therapist to manage assigned jobs. I'm not saying its easy, but it reduced the learning curve A LOT.

If you like Dwarf Fortress but wish it were just a little less complex and a little more pretty....check out Rimworld. It will be available for general consumption in the future, and be on Steam (it got greenlit during its kickstarter). Right now access is only for backers of a certain level.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.