This game is super awesome, but how much more can be expected of it?

Unfawkable

I'm currently on the Demo, I have a policy against buying games until they reach 1.00 version so to speak, but for what I've seen so far, I am completely in love with it. I've only been playing for 2 days, and I'm getting the grasp of all the basics, and moving on to intermediate stuff like docking.

Now I'm interested how much MORE awesome can this awesome game get. I've already found some info about stuff that devs said were not going to be in the game ever (no multiplayer, meh, but no aliens makes me a sad puppy).

There's a feature I haven't found nothing about yet, and one I would love to see even more than aliens, and that's outer stellar travel (If that's how it's said), meaning traveling to a different star system as we currently have only one. Now don't get me wrong, these current planets and their moons are already a challenge enough to explore all, but I would really love if this game could go more into sci-fi field to make traveling light years possible (Heck, I'd travel to different galaxies if I could too). Combine this with some random star and/or planet generating algorithms instead of only preset we have now, and you have an infinite exploration playground.

Cheers.

Edit: More in-game customization is another thing I'd really want, naming and giving different looks to your Kerbals, changing spacecraft colors, etc.

Edited by Unfawkable

If you like this game (and it seems you do), I would recommend buying soon. It is currently $23 (ignoring Steam sales) and can only go up from there (it used to be something like $7 back at 0.14, and now we're at 0.22).

Regarding other solar systems, I believe that is planned, but is presently on a back burner while the devs work on other areas of the game closer to 'home'.

Also, if it's your cup of tea, the paid version allows for pretty wide-open modding, getting you some things like warp drive (though planet modding and other system mods have been hit-or-miss), and a whole bunch more.

The great thing about KSP is that, while it is "early access", it's also been consistently built on and improved for the something-like-year-and-a-half-or-more since I originally bought my "early access" to it. I drift away periodically to play other games, or get caught up with real life, but every time I come back the game is leaps and bounds ahead of where I left it. It has not, and does not seem in any danger of, falling into neglect on the development side, and the development team seems very active in the community. As such, I feel that picking it up now is a pretty low-risk investment, and you'll get access to a terrific game for sub-market price.

Short version: If you love the demo, I see no reason to wait until 1.00.

As long as it doesn't go beyond 40$ after release, I can easily afford it, and I will go as high as 60 as well, so I don't worry about that.

And though I appreciate companies that allow so much modding, I prefer playing the game as it is given by the developers, I believe they just do a better job most of the time.

That being said, if other star systems are to be an option it would have to include much stronger tech, since getting to farthest planets right now is painful as it is let alone a different star system... and BACK (optimistic)

Trolling I presume?

Edited by vexx32
Double posting is unnecessary; please use the Edit function in future :)

Not much, I'm afraid. KSP is on its last leg; I expect SQUAD to stop development any day now. :(

I'm pretty sure this is not the case; there are quite a few large features that are not done yet.

A few major things from the list:

-Resources/mining

-Money

-More to the career mode (missions?)

-More planets with things like volcanism and rings

I'm pretty sure this is not the case; there are quite a few large features that are not done yet.

A few major things from the list:

-Resources/mining

-Money

-More to the career mode (missions?)

-More planets with things like volcanism and rings

Have you ever heard of Sarcasm?

KSP, despite being "alpha", is actually more stable than some "released" games from major publishers, and it delivers tons of fun. I've started after Steam release (.19), and it's already most played title for me, more than 400 hours ahead of runner up (and it doesn't include running its copy, tinkering with mod combinations, testing things, etc). I say, buy it right now (also, 40% discount on Steam right now), it's more than worth its value..

There has been talk of the ability to colonize other systems since I started playing over a year ago, but most of it has been moonshine thus far. I know that they intend to release a full featured, contained game and then produce expansions to that game later on. With the player base they've already got they'd be crazy not to.

Some ideas that have been floated by the devs for interstellar travel include warp drives and collecting parts (via science?) to build a star gate. As far as I know, there's nothing even set in jello yet, let alone stone regarding colonies. I would expect any interstellar colonization to be DLC though, honestly.

If you love the demo it's probably worth the money to buy the unfinished version. There's little chance that it won't be finished at some point and you'll save some cash in the process while also getting access to a fully playable, reasonably polished game. If your "No unfinished products" rule is too strong, you'll still enjoy the game when you buy it later. :) The only real downside to getting it now is if you go crazy and play play play then you might burn out before all of the features are released.

Edited by Jason Patterson

The reluctance I have with mods are that I feel it make turn into a bit of a game breaker. I realise that some are just about including extra parts for making your craft look better/function better, but I am having plenty of fun with what's available already. I think I could well get lazy and just infinite fuel myself anywhere I wanted after a while if I allowed myself to use them, and I'd rather learn to do my own calculations rather than relying on MechJeb.

I think that it may be better to get the game when it's at 1.0, as I feel that when the game's full release comes I will have done everything to the death, pretty much. I'll probably save the mods until I'm at that stage. You'll probably enjoy it more if you have a grasp of the basics, but don't exploit ever update fully as they come in.

I am really looking forward to money coming in. At the moment I find that having unlimited building power means that I can stick with a tried and tested rocket (with modifications to the landing stage to suit the mission), even if it is massively oversized for most missions I undertake. I think that having limits on what you can build will help with spacecraft design. The tech tree only really limits you for the first half dozen missions until you have the essentials.

I actually think that it's better that the game is being developed with the current Solar System, I'm more looking forward to setting up a mining base on the Mun than exploring another couple of planets.

I can very well understand your policy about not buying anything that didn't reach 1.x yet (1.0 is something I rarely buy, actually), but this game has a lot in common with some open source projects I encountered: Even in a 0.something state, it's way more mature than many products that have been shoved out the door and didn't even reach a state of maturity with a 2.xx version number. You're looking at a game that is quite stable (as long as you don't overdo the modding), that's heaps of fun and has an insane long time motivation possibility. IMO, the only thing that keeps it from being an 1.xx is the missing career mode, if it was just meant to be sandbox, it'd probably be called done in most circumstances.

In a nutshell, you get a way more 1.x game in this 0.22 game than you get in most games that boast a 1 before the dot and are more bug ridden than Win 8.1. Another fine example how version number means jack.

IIRC Steam has a sale right now for like 15 bucks or so. For me, that would be about .1 cent per hour played. And once you're done playing with what's there, get a few mods, mine for Kethane, find out how to set up a relay network with Remotetech, juggle the needs of your Kerbals with some consumable mods (where they now need food, water and oxygen) or play with the Interstellar mod (no, sadly it doesn't give you any new planets to play with, but some really cool and nifty fusion and fission generators and other stuff that goes boom).

I'm usually not the one to recommend a game that's not even finished yet, but you already get way more than the 15 bucks pay for, even if they did never finish it, you'd get a good deal.

I have a policy against buying games until they reach 1.00 version so to speak

Well, to put it in simple terms KSP is better than any EA game ever made. So if you've ever bought an EA game and been disappointed you owe it to yourself to break this rule just once :)

I know most have already said it, but just in case it needs further emphasising; BUY IT, buy it now!! Seriously it will be the best [whatever it costs] that you'll spend in entertainment this year!! I bought it just over a year ago and I've saved sooo much money not buying other games since!

The fact that it is not yet V1 is actually a really good thing, you get periodical Santa drops whenever they release a new version. The latest release has been like having a whole new game and I didn't have to pay a cent (or penny in my case) for it. Sure there are bugs, but some of the bugs/exploits that we've had have been hilarious.

I just thought (with some sadness), that maybe in a year or two's time, there will be KSP players who have never even heard of the Kraken and will look at us old hands with bemusement as we ramble on about it! <shuffles off muttering>

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.