Gaming Laptops

fatfluffycat

They're a piece of poop.

I bought a great laptop (my only computer ATM) without knowing much about that stuff at the time. Now it turns out it's got the worst possible video card in existence. I can't run high-end games just because of that. Any other specs are above the recommended.

If you plan on buying one, double check the video card!

Honestly, "gaming laptop" is kind of a redundant term. For the same price, you're much better off with a tower. However I myself game on a laptop. Turns out last year my tower died for good and my laptop was old (eight years) and needed replacement for school. Instead of paying a tower about 800$ and a laptop for school at about 400$, I went for something that could do both easily. Not exactly a gaming laptop, but a potent laptop. This is what I got.

8Gb of RAM, dual graphics with an AMD 7670 2Gb dedicated/AMD 7660 integrated, AMD A-10 4600m processor, 2.3Ghz quad core, usually clocks up to 2.8Ghz, and fits in my bag for school.

This rolls KSP just fine with rather high graphics, Portal 2 at highest graphics without a problem, and performs very well on most games. Of course it's limited by being a laptop and often struggles for air. Got it for 800$CAD.

Basically all this to say, if you are just looking for something to game on, don't get a laptop. You could get the same stats out of a tower for 600$US probably. There's no point into getting a laptop for gaming as laptop are inherently not good for gaming. But if you need one for reasons, and, like me, are restricted on money and need a potent gaming platform, you can get a good deal if you look a bit. It won't be the best, but it will do the job. There's no point into getting a 1500$ laptop for gaming, you're really just throwing cash out the window.

Gaming laptop? Kind of an oxymoron. Make sure it runs Windows, since there are more games (in quantity, if not quality) that run on that platform natively than on Mac or Linux combined. Do make sure that the laptop has a dedicated graphics card and not just an integrated graphics chip somewhere on the motherboard.

You can get good gaming laptops. But they cost. As people have said they're expensive for what they are. It depends on where exactly you get them from but you're looking at maybe 2x, 3x the price of an equivalent tower. And they're non-upgradeable.

As said above, check the graphics card. If the graphics card says "intel", run for the hills.

Build your own desktop PC.

Pros:

-You get only the parts you want/need. You don't need to make compromises like a Lower processor clock/core count for better graphics card or vice-versa.

-Only the Software you want, No silly bloated trail versions of crap software to slow your system down. Install your own preferred OS.

- Almost always Cheaper than buying a Stock PC when it comes to Price vs. Performance.

Cons:

- You need to know how to put it together.

-You need to buy an OS, which can be expensive. ( Unless you get a Free OS like linux )

Build your own desktop PC.

I don't know anything about computers insides, like what SC said

8Gb of RAM, dual graphics with an AMD 7670 2Gb dedicated/AMD 7660 integrated, AMD A-10 4600m processor, 2.3Ghz quad core, usually clocks up to 2.8Ghz,

dual graphics? Processor? Ghz?

I don't know what anything what that is, and you say build a computer myself?

I never built anything in my life! (That worked :()

that's fine but you might also want to post your question there becuase that's where most of the computer people lurk (also build it yourself is really a lot easier than your think)

edit: and to answer your OP no gaming laptops are almost never worth their price.

Edited by briansun1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're not wanting to run BF3 and those big AAA games at full integrated will actually perform alright nowadays.

My Intel HD4000 handles just about everything I've thrown at it (BF3 at 30 fps surprisingly) at mediumish. I know that a dedicated card is better, but that doesn't mean integrated graphics are that bad. They used to be though, but the next gen Intel (Haswell) looks like they're gonna compete at the midrange graphics market with some of the newer IGPs. Also the PS4 /technically/ runs an integrated card, but that's not the same

I splurged on a Toshiba QOSMIO for the large display, so I do think it is a great gaming machine (with upgraded graphics). However, it is not all that portable since it weighs about 8 pounds with the adapter. Plus I had to have a custom made bag from Water Field (bag is awesome).

in 9 situations out of 10 gaming laptops arent worth the price.

Saying that though my alienware suits me to the ground. Yes it was expensive and yes I could get a tower pc of same spec and half the price.

BUT!

Its ideal because I take it everywhere. Round friends houses, it goes to work. I like to play on the sofa in my living room. Plus nowadays you can upgrade it like you would a normal desktop.

My two cents are that gaming laptops are never really what you want. Too heavy and underperforming.

Mine is exactly what I wanted and i bought it for a purpose. Its not underperforming. Its heavy yes but i would hardly say its too heavy as its on my lap all the time and i drive everywhere so i chuck it in the boot of my car. Like i said they are perfect for what they are but you will have to pay extra for it and will need to really decide weather the extra mobility is worth it.

The only bad thing about my laptop is the hdd thats mega slow but thats because i havent got round to upgrading. The gpu is a bit dated now (the laptop is 3 years old) but the new graphics card I want is £500. £150 more than the desktop equivilent. Plus my m15x has a very well designed chasis and cools my gpu very well, which is good because the 460m was very slow out of the box and immediatley got overclocked.

Unless you will do gaming on the move (by which i mean in other locations, not in the car on the train etc) then a gaming laptop is ideal. But if you end up sitting in one room gaming all the time then theres no point in a laptop.

Mine is exactly what I wanted and i bought it for a purpose. Its not underperforming. [...] but you will have to pay extra for it

That is exactly what I meant with underperforming; a laptop will always perform less for the same amount of money, or will cost much more for the same performance. Some levels of performance are simply not achievable in a laptop. It will heat up more and be harder and more expensive to upgrade. Gaming laptops are heavy and big. That all counts as underperforming in my book.

Inherently gaming and mobility are not a match. If you really need to combine them compromises can be made, but it is never ideal and most certainly never cheap.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.