[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

One thing you can do is to change the textureCompressor.tcfg and modify the "scale" and "scale_normals" item. to something larger ie. 4 & 4.

### Resize the texture by the scale specified. Use powers
### of two for best efficiency. 1 is no scalling, 2, is 1/2
### 4 is 1/4, etc.
scale = 2

### Specifies a maximum dimension for both width and height
### of textures, AFTER any scalling. ie. if this is set to
### 256, and you have a 1024X1024 texture and scale set to 2,
### the resulting texture will be 256x256. Use it without
### scalling to only shrink larger textures.
max_size = 0

### Section for normalmapped textures. Same as above, but
### apply only to normal maps.
compress_normals = false
mipmaps_normals = false
scale_normals = 2
max_size_normals = 256

I thought so. Oh, well, I have my own fix: making "Lite" editions of the mods I use, like B9. I remove the parts that are essentially eyecandy (if I did that entirely for B9, I'd delete it, lul ees so pretty) like the structural panels and railings, and that big fat HL fuselage system that I never use... I still crash every so often, but it's OK now. :)

Aww. You don't like the HL mods?

Hi,

first - for me this mod is the best of the best. Really. Makes KSP so much more playable on my rig. Thanks for that!

One Question: i use KSP Interstellar, and your mod on aggressive. Is there a way to exclude the IVA View of the Interstellar Science Module from compressing? Right now there is nothing left to look at after its compressed, way too blurry :)

When I use this mod with the Clouds and City Lights add-on (the high-res version), it freezes very early on load when it says "kerbin1". I've tested it with just these two mods in my GameData, otherwise it's a completely clean installation. This is definitely not an out of memory error as I have 8 GB and it is barely using more than 1 when it freezes. It seems to work just fine with the lo-res version of the clouds. Any ideas?

Edited by BigOto2

rbray, you should change the picture of Jeb, Bill, and Bob to a simple text message "This could take a ton of time. Don't cancel it. Just let it go."

And after a half hour switch to "I know it's been a half hour. Trust me. If something was wrong it'd have crashed."

rbray, you should change the picture of Jeb, Bill, and Bob to a simple text message "This could take a ton of time. Don't cancel it. Just let it go."

And after a half hour switch to "I know it's been a half hour. Trust me. If something was wrong it'd have crashed."

This sounds like a good idea, I think it would be very handy for some people.

team.leit

This sounds like a good idea, I think it would be very handy for some people.

team.leit

Haha, that would be awesome. I'm actually working on a workaround for it. Textures that aren't res-called will not be cached. Next release incoming.

I just recently switched from Stable-Basic to Stable-Aggressive (2-15). It gave me back a ton of memory (thank you!), however I noticed my Kerbalnauts' fancy reflective visors (via shaw's TextureReplacer addon) are no longer very reflective.

I suspect aggressive scaling/compression has made the environmental maps too small/fuzzy to be noticeable. Assuming I'm correct, can I set an exception for those images? If so, could you talk me through it like I'm a big dumb dumb (which sometimes I am)?

They're in the directory GameData\TextureReplacer\EnvMap\ if that helps. Thanks again! :)

I just recently switched from Stable-Basic to Stable-Aggressive (2-15). It gave me back a ton of memory (thank you!), however I noticed my Kerbalnauts' fancy reflective visors (via shaw's TextureReplacer addon) are no longer very reflective.

I suspect aggressive scaling/compression has made the environmental maps too small/fuzzy to be noticeable. Assuming I'm correct, can I set an exception for those images? If so, could you talk me through it like I'm a big dumb dumb (which sometimes I am)?

They're in the directory GameData\TextureReplacer\EnvMap\ if that helps. Thanks again! :)

Hmmm... What format are they in? PNG? If so, then this mod isn't actually doing anything to them. There is no TextureReplacer config file, so they would be skipped.

Hmmm... What format are they in? PNG? If so, then this mod isn't actually doing anything to them. There is no TextureReplacer config file, so they would be skipped.

Hmm... yes they are in PNG. I wonder what else I could have changed? I recently added Rubber Ducky's "Distant Object Enhancement", but a) I'm fairly certain reflections were working after that, and B) seems very unlikely it would have any effect on shaw's mod anyway.

Maybe I just haven't been in dark enough space lately? I'll keep fiddling with it. Thanks for your quick reply and wonderful mods! I very much appreciate it. :)

UPDATE: Wow, I really am a dumb dumb. I just glanced at my downloads history and realized I updated TextureReplacer only moments before switching to aggressive. Silly, me. I bet didn't install correctly and/or I need to restructure my configs. Sorry for the mix up. My bad! :/

How do I go about Blacklisting textures?

You have to add an override entry in the config for the mod you want to override/exclude.

from BoulderCo.tcfg:

config_enabled = true
NORMAL_LIST
{
texture = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/bump1
}

OVERRIDES
{
BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}
}

Much strangeness going on here. I made a new set of configs for a *test* mod set up, and it broke the plugin. Nothing compresses and no cashes are made. I am stumped. It works fine again if I only use the included configs, so the problem lies between the chair and keyboard here, just no idea what.

LIVgG

(why does thing thing never work?)

http://imgur.com/a/LIVgG

Big dummy here again. I thought I had a handle on the .tcfg syntax, but apparently I don't. Maybe someone smarter than me (probably most of you) can help?

I've got a mod - let's call it BigDummysMod - and it's got several subdirectories. What I'm trying to do is aggressively Texture Manage two of the subdirectories, and leave the rest completely, entirely, and most certainly untouched (no Active Texture Management).

So the path might look something like this: GameData/BigDummysMod/ with subdirectories A, B, C, & D. I want to actively texture manage A & B, but I don't want C & D to change in the slightest.

I tried using an override entry in BigDummysMod.tcfg (as outlined above), but still ended up with all the subdirectories' textures getting compressed/scaled. Could somebody walk me through the proper steps? Do I have to create an override entry for each individual file, rather than just by directory?

Much strangeness going on here. I made a new set of configs for a *test* mod set up, and it broke the plugin. Nothing compresses and no cashes are made. I am stumped. It works fine again if I only use the included configs, so the problem lies between the chair and keyboard here, just no idea what.

(why does thing thing never work?)

Big dummy here again. I thought I had a handle on the .tcfg syntax, but apparently I don't. Maybe someone smarter than me (probably most of you) can help?

I've got a mod - let's call it BigDummysMod - and it's got several subdirectories. What I'm trying to do is aggressively Texture Manage two of the subdirectories, and leave the rest completely, entirely, and most certainly untouched (no Active Texture Management).

So the path might look something like this: GameData/BigDummysMod/ with subdirectories A, B, C, & D. I want to actively texture manage A & B, but I don't want C & D to change in the slightest.

I tried using an override entry in BigDummysMod.tcfg (as outlined above), but still ended up with all the subdirectories' textures getting compressed/scaled. Could somebody walk me through the proper steps? Do I have to create an override entry for each individual file, rather than just by directory?

Both of you need to post the config files so we can see what is going on. Note that the file is case sensetive to the mod directory. (eg. BoulderCo != boulderCo)

from BigDummysMod.tcfg:

config_enabled = true

OVERRIDES
{
BigDummysMod/C
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
BigDummysMod/D
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

Should I have included a "/" after the directory? Such as:

OVERRIDES
{
BigDummysMod/C/

?

from BigDummysMod.tcfg:

config_enabled = true

OVERRIDES
{
BigDummysMod/C
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
BigDummysMod/D
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

Should I have included a "/" after the directory? Such as:

OVERRIDES
{
BigDummysMod/C/

?

they're not folder names, they're (regular expression) patterns that need to match the filenames, so in your case, try something like

config_enabled = true

OVERRIDES
{
BigDummysMod/C/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
BigDummysMod/D/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

(notice the "slash dot star" on the ends of them).

they're not folder names, they're (regular expression) patterns that need to match the filenames, so in your case, try something like

(notice the "slash dot star" on the ends of them).

This is correct.