[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Is there a difference between the Stable-Aggressive and the Experimental Aggressive versions?

I can't seem to find a link to the Experimental Aggressive version.

Ah, my signature needs to be updated... Experimental is now stable. :)

Thanks for this awesome mod!

saved ~800MB ram

--

Btw it's a kind of fun when you have quadcore cpu with 8gb of ram and you fighting to run a game which using only a piece of it.... But its another topic :)

New experimental version: https://github.com/waka324/TextureCompressor/releases/tag/3-Beta

This is an experimental version that pre-loads the texture before KSP does. Should load approximately 2x as fast as the old version. The downside is that it doesn't load the "loading screen" until after all the textures are loaded. So you have to be patient.

But what the point of that?

Well, in the current implementation, KSP loads the textures, then I load the cache files on-top. This way, I load them BEFORE KSP can, and tell it not to load them. Now, KSP load is about 2x as fast. That is the point. You just don't get a loading bar while the textures are loading.

So after using the basic version of the mod for some time, I decided to try to the aggressive version, and now every model's texture looks hideous, even when I put it back to basic. Is there any way to revert back or will I have to reinstall the entire game?

Delete the cache, easiest way I guess is to delete the mod folder and installing basic again.

This. Note, that if you have Aggressive texture settings on, you will want to put your texture resolution in the game settings all the way up. Lots of people miss this.

Am using the experimental version now on my personal install and I'm having absolutely no problems so far - a couple of minor tweaks to my configs but only to optimise my game how I like it. Once you get used to the load up sequence that is not a problem. Load up time is much faster - time is down from about 2 minutes to less than one - yes I run that many mods! It appears to be a bit better on memory usage too. :D

Like the poster a few posts above, I currently use the basic version and would like to experiment with the aggressive version to clear up even more space. Two questions:

- If I already use low-res textures when possible, would I actually save anything memory, and what would the impact be on graphics quality?

- What's the "safest" way of doing so, just delete the original and reinstall?

Like the poster a few posts above, I currently use the basic version and would like to experiment with the aggressive version to clear up even more space. Two questions:

- If I already use low-res textures when possible, would I actually save anything memory, and what would the impact be on graphics quality?

- What's the "safest" way of doing so, just delete the original and reinstall?

Compression will almost certainly still save you space.

For example, a 4kx4k texture (pretty much the biggest you'll generally see in game) uncompressed is 64MB. is you half the resolution for a lowrez version, that will quarter the size down to 16MB. However, if you simply compress the original, it will typically in the the region of 6MB - 10MB. Compressing the low-res will be smaller again, but I'd actually recommend that you try switching to the highres packs for everything, since one of the features of aggressive is that it will resize larger textures down (selectively, the individual mod config files can control this), so starting with the high res stuff and seeing what happens should go okay, and minimize the drop in (or even potentially improve) graphics quality.

Edit: It is completely safe to just install aggressive over the top of basic - it is only going the other way that you would need to delete the texture cache to re-allow the loading of the original textures.

Edited by Crater

Am using the experimental version now on my personal install and I'm having absolutely no problems so far - a couple of minor tweaks to my configs but only to optimise my game how I like it. Once you get used to the load up sequence that is not a problem. Load up time is much faster - time is down from about 2 minutes to less than one - yes I run that many mods! It appears to be a bit better on memory usage too. :D

Perfect. That is what I like to hear!

no problems here with it im loving it. just need to cut down parts so be less than 3gb on full res.

only problem i heard is one of the guys on klf would crash on start unless he used it to launch with the launcher. no idea why i didnt test it thou to see if going straight from the .exe or using steam worked fine since i alway suse the launcher for fake fullscreen

I upgraded from Stable-Basic to the newest Experimental version. I didn't notice any degrade in graphics but I did notice an improvement in performance. And Start-up is much quicker! Thank you!

I've made my own configs for the mods I use. Want to include them in a future release or as an add on?

Sure! If you want, you can even release something yourself! The configs have been completely re-done, so now the don't have to reside in the same BoulderCo folder.

They will get lost if I make a post like all the re-configurations seem too. I'll drop box them to you and please feel free to redistribute them - It's your excellent work that means I can run a LOT of mods :D