[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Getting the same exact bug, using most recent Basic. I recall the previous version I saw this bug as well, but someone posted a tweak to squad.cfg that fixed it. I think it's missing a normal map? Cant find the fix, unfortunately.

edit: re-installing and/or deleting the squad cache folder did not fix this.

Similar problem, I downloaded both aggressive and basic to be thorough, both cause *just the game to freeze* after it loads nine or ten items. I haven't tried uninstalling KAS yet so it may be that, it is the only mod on our lists that are the same.

I'm also running latest Windows 8 (yuck...) with 8 gigs of ram. I've got plenty of mods but all of them are listed as compatible (B9, Visuals, KSPI, Firespitter, KW, DeRe, FAR, Pwings, KAS, KerbEnigineer, Toolbar and TAC).

Edit:

Removed KAS and problem persists. I don't believe it is that mods fault. To be a bit more specific, after a couple of items load the screen freezes and the program stops responding. I can close it by clicking exit in non-fullscreen mode or by using Ctrl+Alt+Del. It is not harming my game in any way, I'm installing this for the first time. I just want the performance boost :)

Edit 2:

For people having issues, try downloading basic after installing KW reduced pack. This actually did fix the problem, no idea why.

Edited by fetusthebard
More Info!

Similar problem, I downloaded both aggressive and basic to be thorough, both cause *just the game to freeze* after it loads nine or ten items. I haven't tried uninstalling KAS yet so it may be that, it is the only mod on our lists that are the same.

I'm also running latest Windows 8 (yuck...) with 8 gigs of ram. I've got plenty of mods but all of them are listed as compatible (B9, Visuals, KSPI, Firespitter, KW, DeRe, FAR, Pwings, KAS, KerbEnigineer, Toolbar and TAC).

Edit:

Removed KAS and problem persists. I don't believe it is that mods fault. To be a bit more specific, after a couple of items load the screen freezes and the program stops responding. I can close it by clicking exit in non-fullscreen mode or by using Ctrl+Alt+Del. It is not harming my game in any way, I'm installing this for the first time. I just want the performance boost :)

Edit 2:

For people having issues, try downloading basic after installing KW reduced pack. This actually did fix the problem, no idea why.

You don't need reduced texture sized packs with ATM and this is possibly the cause as ATM is re-sizing an already re-sized texture. Re-download KW and try the aggressive again.

Exactly. Some of those packs use PNG instead of MBM, which means I can't detect that they are supposed to be treated as normal maps.

This is great, unfortunately though, the number of huge "essential" mods in KSP is ever expanding. Interplanetary, VisualEnhancements, TextureReplacer, KW, B9, FASA, and now the stock NASA parts will strain even ATM. There is only so much that compression and reduction can do.

The Loading textures on demand mod seems a viable option, but sadly, even at 2.2 it is still unstable and prone to random crashing, especially once the really heavy mods are installed. 64 bit support may one day be a reality and solve all these problems, but don't hold your breath.

I've resigned myself two options: becoming a "stock only" player, or going with a dual install setup. What is a dual install? Since Load on Demand is prone to crashing in the VAB/SPH, I will maintain one stripped down install.. no eye candy mods, using ATM, in game settings set to low, and packed with parts mods. I will use that install to design craft in the VAB/SPH without the fear of random crashing. The second install will use Load on Demand, and will be for actually playing the game. I will import my craft, and launch from the pad, never visiting the VAB/SPH. Annoying? Yes..., but infinitely better than my total loss of concentration and creativity, due to fear of random CTD.

I've resigned myself two options: becoming a "stock only" player, or going with a dual install setup. What is a dual install? Since Load on Demand is prone to crashing in the VAB/SPH, I will maintain one stripped down install.. no eye candy mods, using ATM, in game settings set to low, and packed with parts mods. I will use that install to design craft in the VAB/SPH without the fear of random crashing. The second install will use Load on Demand, and will be for actually playing the game. I will import my craft, and launch from the pad, never visiting the VAB/SPH. Annoying? Yes..., but infinitely better than my total loss of concentration and creativity, due to fear of random CTD.

I personally resigned myself to what I call "stockish." No KW, B9, or other huge parts-only mods. To get the bulk of the work done I use just stock parts. When I *do* add a part or a mod with parts to my game, it's for a very specific reason, like Kethane or ELP. That's why, of the 30+ mods I have, only a couple of them add parts to the game.

Just wanted to add... I have no issues at all with this mod. I even wrote a few tcfg's for my own stuff as well as ones not already there and this works wonders with them. I have lots of mods and tons of parts for various things and when ksp is running its only using barely 1.2gb of ram. :) and I am using the non-aggressive version, but either way ,with out this mod/plugin I would not be able to use everything that I have now.

Sorry if this has been asked before but does the current version of this support the 0.23 pre-ARM version of KSP? I start running into out-of-memory crashes...

Thanks a lot.

Sorry if this has been asked before but does the current version of this support the 0.23 pre-ARM version of KSP? I start running into out-of-memory crashes...

Thanks a lot.

I don't believe I updated the binary, so yes, it should.

This won't be of much help. But i can't seem to ba able to load some ships in the VAB, game just freezes, as in forever, nothing useful on the output log...

But when i took ATM off, problem stopped.

I think the Nasamission parts could be responsible. they're the only consistent thing in the ships that wouldn't load. Do they have a config file ?

This won't be of much help. But i can't seem to ba able to load some ships in the VAB, game just freezes, as in forever, nothing useful on the output log...

But when i took ATM off, problem stopped.

I think the Nasamission parts could be responsible. they're the only consistent thing in the ships that wouldn't load. Do they have a config file ?

They do. What part/parts exactly? What OS are you running?

I don't believe I updated the binary, so yes, it should.

Just installed the latest Texture Management on the pre-ARM version 0.23 of KSP and it seems to run fine (not tested in depth yet). 600mb memory saves, woot :)

Thanks again

Just found your pack, and it works great! I had removed KW Rocketry/ B9 Aerospace and even started turning down the graphics to try to improve frame rates (A problem due to mods post 23.5 as that's when the issues started...) and as I was looking over Manley's Interstellar mod list.... Saw yours and I tried it out. Frame rates are back to being smooth as polished glass! Going to be reinstalling both those mods now! Thanks for the work and effort put into this!

One small artifact I found (an "Oh *****" moment I must confess at first).... Prior to installing the mod, I had a ship on the pad. I loaded up the game after installation, went to launch said ship.... And the camera, instead of following the ship, lagged somewhere between Kerbin, and the ship. It was a pretty cool effect in a sort of cinematic way, and it only happened for that single launch. (FASA mod, Explorer booster and probe)

What is the difference between simple and aggressive?

You can tell by looking at the two config files.

The only differences are to:

### Resize the texture by the scale specified. Use powers
### of two for best efficiency. 1 is no scalling, 2, is 1/2
### 4 is 1/4, etc.
scale = 1 [B]or 2[/B]
### Section for normalmapped textures. Same as above, but
### apply only to normal maps.
compress_normals = false
mipmaps_normals = true [B]or false[/B]
scale_normals = 2
max_size_normals = 512 [B]or 256[/B]

The settings in bold are the aggressive ones.

So, in english:

* The aggressive version cuts texture sizes in half, while the standard version does not.

* The aggressive version generates mipmaps for normal (or bump) textures.

* The aggressive version reduces all normals to 256x256, and the standard version reduces them to 512x512.

Hmm. I've suddenly encountered a problem with loading the game, as in I'm running out of memory during loading. It's almost like ATM suddenly just stopped working. I'm only in the preliminary stages of troubleshooting, though, so I'm not certain that it's a problem with this plugin or something else. The only mod I've updated recently is getting the new textures available for the FusTek station parts, but I don't see why that would totally disable ATM. Anyway, I'm going to remove ATM and re-install from my original download archive, and see if that fixes it. If not, THEN I'll remove the FusTek textures. If neither of those work... well, let's hope one of those works. :huh:

Update: Yeah, no, they didn't work. ;.;

I am really bummed. All of a sudden I can't even START the game!

I've looked at the output log, but I don't see anything obvious as to what's wrong, other than a massive amount of 'null reference exceptions', which doesn't mean anything useful to me. Crap. I don't know how to post that log file here. ;.;

Edited by Neutrinovore

Hmm. I've suddenly encountered a problem with loading the game, as in I'm running out of memory during loading. It's almost like ATM suddenly just stopped working. I'm only in the preliminary stages of troubleshooting, though, so I'm not certain that it's a problem with this plugin or something else. The only mod I've updated recently is getting the new textures available for the FusTek station parts, but I don't see why that would totally disable ATM. Anyway, I'm going to remove ATM and re-install from my original download archive, and see if that fixes it. If not, THEN I'll remove the FusTek textures. If neither of those work... well, let's hope one of those works. :huh:

Update: Yeah, no, they didn't work. ;.;

I am really bummed. All of a sudden I can't even START the game!

I've looked at the output log, but I don't see anything obvious as to what's wrong, other than a massive amount of 'null reference exceptions', which doesn't mean anything useful to me. Crap. I don't know how to post that log file here. ;.;

Try undoing the changes you last made?

It is possible the part images were corrupted and my mod is not handling an exception gracefully.