[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

my loading times were really good - before. now they are like 10 times, but i have a lot less problems with high part rockets. i guess i have to go with one of two evils xD

You have the choice of walking away from your computer and doing other things before you play or continually while you play. Guess which is more fun? Guess which is more feasible in the middle of a flight?

How do I install the mod? Do I just drag the mod folder into the "gamedata" folder? I downloaded the basic version.

Inside the zip is a gamedata folder. Inside that are two folders. Your ksp install has a gamedata folder and inside that it doesn't have the two mod folders from this mod.

Edited by BigD145

Added a few more mods, and found myself going up to 3.7GB loading the game before it would crash.

I installed the aggressive version and just fired up the game. It's running at 1.5GB.

Amazing!

I tried your mod and it works perfectly and i do not know what your computer you tested this on but i don't see any change in loading time, so i guess that makes your mod even better.

Also no more mem crash.....Keep it up mate.

I need some de-bugging help real quick guys. This is my KSO config, which worlds for the parts, but not the Spaces or Props.

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG{
folder = KSO
enabled = true

NORMAL_LIST
{
texture = KSO/Parts/kerbin_lifter_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Parts/kerbin_orbiter_docking_mod_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Parts/kerbin_orbiter_engines_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Parts/kerbin_orbiter_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Parts/kerbin_space_station_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/RPM/MFD_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/internalkso/analog_gauges_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/internalkso/cockpit_interior_lower_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/internalkso/cockpit_interior_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/internalkso/RCS_panel_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/internalstation/kerbin_space_station_interior_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/internalstation/SST_Stick_Petals_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/ksotug/analog_guages_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/ksotug/KSOS_Arm_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/ksotug/RCS_panel_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/ksotug/SST_Stick_Petals_norm_NRM
}

OVERRIDES
{
KSO/Parts/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
filtering = Bilinear
make_not_readable = true
}
KSO/RPM/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
filtering = Bilinear
make_not_readable = true
}
KSO/Spaces/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
filtering = Bilinear
make_not_readable = true
}
}
}

I don't want to bump my own post, but, I was curious if anyone has any idea what's going on.

I don't want to bump my own post, but, I was curious if anyone has any idea what's going on.

KSO/RPM/.*

{

compress = false

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

filtering = Bilinear

make_not_readable = true

}

KSO/Spaces/.*

{

compress = false

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

filtering = Bilinear

make_not_readable = true

}

The RPM (props) and spaces exclusion are all ready in your config...

What do you want ATM to do or not do to the KSO?

How do you install this? Do I have to replace my mods by using the texturecache?
I have the same question, I have no idea how to install this

Unzip the folders into the GameData folder in your KSP directory, and launch the game. The mod will take care of the rest.

Place the entire zipped "Gamedata" folder into KSP/gamedata? Or place the Gamedata/ActiveTextureManagement AND the Gamedata/BoulderCo into KSP/Gamedata seperately?

I forgot that he zipped both of those folders under gamedata in the file. Either you can do what Green said, or unzip the file into that main KSP folder (click yes when prompted if you want to overwrite the folder, your other mods will still be there), which will merge both BoulderCo and ActiveTextureManagement folders into the game's gamedata folder. Which ever way you do it, both of the sub-folders must end up in the KSP GameData folder for the mod to work.

is there a way to use agressive version without ruining IVA view?, it really has little to no impact on outside views but IVA's really gets wasted, is there a way to eliminate Iva texture reduction or allowing the mod to " go easy " on Ivas ,

thank you

is there a way to use agressive version without ruining IVA view?, it really has little to no impact on outside views but IVA's really gets wasted, is there a way to eliminate Iva texture reduction or allowing the mod to " go easy " on Ivas ,

thank you

Yes reaper. The most simple and straight forward way is to edit the main configuration file which is located in the ActiveTextureManagement folder - the address is something like - C:\KSP_win\GameData\ActiveTextureManagement

First find the folder and copy to desktop as a backup. Find the section where it says "OVERRIDES" Then you will have to add this part to the configuration file in the ATM folder:

.*/Spaces/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

filtering = Bilinear

make_not_readable = true

}

So it looks like this:

OVERRIDES

{

.*/Props/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = true

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

.*/Spaces/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

filtering = Bilinear

make_not_readable = true

}

.*/Flags/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

}

This should now exclude IVA's from being squeezed too much. Be warned though IVA's can take up a fair chunk of memory.

Yes reaper. The most simple and straight forward way is to edit the main configuration file which is located in the ActiveTextureManagement folder - the address is something like - C:\KSP_win\GameData\ActiveTextureManagement

First find the folder and copy to desktop as a backup. Find the section where it says "OVERRIDES" Then you will have to add this part to the configuration file in the ATM folder:

.*/Spaces/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

filtering = Bilinear

make_not_readable = true

}

So it looks like this:

OVERRIDES

{

.*/Props/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = true

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

.*/Spaces/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

filtering = Bilinear

make_not_readable = true

}

.*/Flags/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

}

This should now exclude IVA's from being squeezed too much. Be warned though IVA's can take up a fair chunk of memory.

thank you man! i just want it to go a bit easy on the ıva not compleatly eradicate its compression so wouldnt be much fo a prblem

Edited by TheReaper

Getting some really nasty artifacting with ATM. I thought I had it on Basic, could have accidently used Aggressive. I ran some tests of my own by converting my TGAs to DDS in Photoshop (DXT5 8bit Alpha, 11mip maps) and got very good results compared to what ATM is doing. Admittedly, I'll probably run all textures through some noise filters which help, but I'd like to white list KSO completely from ATM.

-ATM is reducing the KSO's normals too heavily (down to 512?). In the download of v3.07 I include a config that ups this limit. Reducing the KSO 25's normal map from 2048 to 512, destroys its tiles completely. At that point you're better off just deleting the normal map completely since it's doing more harm than good (and would save you a few megs).

-If you're going to reduce normals to 512, then have the options: No normal, Max 512, White list Normals. Personally I don't think normal should be touched, aside from mip maps.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So I fixed my normals by upping the limit in the config to 2048. However, the Diffuse maps are still artifacting really badly. I'd like to whitelist them completely and prevent ATM from touching them. How do I do that? I tried changing the config so it ignores the KSO, but it seems you have a global compressor going that compresses/reduces everything regardless. Or perhaps I didn't set up my config right.

Anyone have a config file that completely whitelists the KSO from any compression?

Hey Green Skull

KSO/Parts

-kerbin_lifter.tga

-kerbin_orbiter.tga

-kerbin_orbiter_docking_mod.tga

-kerbin_orbiter_engines.tga

-kerbin_space_station.tga

-KSO_25.tga

-KSO_25_Lifter.tga

-KSO_Engines_02.tga

KSO/Spaces/internalkso

-analog_guages.tga

-cockpit_interior.tga

-cockpit_interior_lower.tga

-glass_panes.tga

-RCS_panel.tga

KSO/Spaces/internalstation

-kerbin_space_station_interior.tga

-KSOS_Plant_Foliage.tga

-KSOS_Station_Glass.tga

-SST_Stick_Petal.tga

KSO/Spaces/internalsuper25

-KSO_25_Interior_01.tga

-KSO_25_Interior_02.tga

-KSO_25_Screens_01.tga

-KSO_25_Screens_02.tga

-KSO_25_Windshield.tga

KSO/Spaces/ksotug

-analog_guages.tga

-KSOS_Arm.tga

-RCS_Panel.tga

-SST_Stick_Petals.tga

Note I didn't list emissives since it's ok if those are compressed/reduced.

Thanks for the help! :D

Quick question: is the texture cache folder supposed to contain a lot of cached textures? Because the only thing that ever shows up in a bunch of folder for just one mod (Final Frontier), all of them empty. Not sure if this is normal or if things should be appearing here. (I'm under severe memory pressure due to RSS and RSS-EVE and have been trying to slim things down as much as I can -- I just want to make sure my install of ATM is working correctly.)

Thank you Shady. I've managed to get some time to KSP today so I've uploaded version 1.1 of my configs. There are now three options - regular, high saving and optimised for GFX. Also included are all of my optional configs which are scattered in a few downloads.

*PLEASE NOTE* These configs are written on my PC for windows. They should work on other systems but you may have to adjust some settings yourself to optimise for your own system or requirements.

DOWNLOAD HERE Green_Skull_ATM_configs_v1.1

Quick question: is the texture cache folder supposed to contain a lot of cached textures? Because the only thing that ever shows up in a bunch of folder for just one mod (Final Frontier), all of them empty. Not sure if this is normal or if things should be appearing here. (I'm under severe memory pressure due to RSS and RSS-EVE and have been trying to slim things down as much as I can -- I just want to make sure my install of ATM is working correctly.)

@jrandom download and install my ATM configs. I have settings and configuration files to optimize ATM for most applications - instructions are included.

There are now three options - regular, high saving and optimised for GFX. Also included are all of my optional configs which are scattered in a few downloads.

*PLEASE NOTE* These configs are written on my PC for windows. They should work on other systems but you may have to adjust some settings yourself to optimise for your own system or requirements.

DOWNLOAD HERE Green_Skull_ATM_configs_v1.1

@Heldiver config will be ready tomorrow - just need to make a couple of test flights / checks etc

@jrandom download and install my ATM configs. I have settings and configuration files to optimize ATM for most applications - instructions are included.

Woah... you have to specify each and every folder you want ATM to work with?... I thought it globally covered everything!

Edit: Holy cow, that cut my RAM usage by almost a gigabyte! Woo! I can add Infernal Robotics back into the mix! Maybe a habitat pack!

Edited by jrandom