[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Definitely hanging on the Agencies folder which seems to contain a third texture file type. Am I the only person seeing this???

I'm going to try excluding that folder, once I figure out how to do so.

Definitely hanging on the Agencies folder which seems to contain a third texture file type. Am I the only person seeing this???

I'm going to try excluding that folder, once I figure out how to do so.

Hmmm... maybe squad changed their MBM mechanism? Or is it a new extension?

Hmmm... maybe squad changed their MBM mechanism? Or is it a new extension?

It has an extension of 'truecolor' as in C7AerospaceDivision_scaled.truecolor

Now, flat out, how do I configure ATM to totally ignore that folder?

I haven't even got to try .24 once in... wow... I've been dealing with this for 4 hours :(

It has an extension of 'truecolor' as in C7AerospaceDivision_scaled.truecolor

Now, flat out, how do I configure ATM to totally ignore that folder?

I haven't even got to try .24 once in... wow... I've been dealing with this for 4 hours :(

Hmmm... I'll have to take a look and figure that one out.

I'm not sure if it can be excluded from creating a problem. I'll have to address it separately once I get time.

ATM does not seem to be working fine on x64.

It does not crash the game but it does not reduce memory at all and it is throwing this exception during startup:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ActiveTextureManagement.ActiveTextureManagement.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActiveTextureManagement.ActiveTextureManagement.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)

UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)

AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)

AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)

AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)

You shouldnt have to use ATM on 64bit as it can access more memory, how much ram does your pc or laptop have. I have to use it under 32 bit but under 64 bit I dont, currently sitting on 4 gig of ram used

Edited by Virtualgenius

KSOS is crashing, and although I thought it was Firespitter, I seems to be running out of memory when loading squad parts.

Removing all of Squad's parts allows me to load and fly just fine. So I'm guessing ATM isn't fully .24 compatible or is causing issues?

You shouldnt have to use ATM on 64bit as it can access more memory how much ram does your pc or laptop have I have to use it under 32 bit but under 64 bit I dont currently sitting on 4 gig of ram used

32gb ram.

KSOS is crashing, and although I thought it was Firespitter, I seems to be running out of memory when loading squad parts.

Removing all of Squad's parts allows me to load and fly just fine. So I'm guessing ATM isn't fully .24 compatible or is causing issues?

32gb ram.

Suggest you read what I posted a few posts back. It's probably hanging trying to process some new file types that Squad has and crashing ATM

edit: Also, if you look in ActiveTextureManagement/textureCache/Squad/, how many folders do you see? If it's the same problem I'm seeing then it's hanging trying to process the Agencies folder, which seems like just a bunch of icons for the varies agencies. one of the file types is *.truecolor

Edited by Starwaster

Suggest you read what I posted a few posts back. It's probably hanging trying to process some new file types that Squad has and crashing ATM

edit: Also, if you look in ActiveTextureManagement/textureCache/Squad/, how many folders do you see? If it's the same problem I'm seeing then it's hanging trying to process the Agencies folder, which seems like just a bunch of icons for the varies agencies. one of the file types is *.truecolor

Mine is hanging on PodCockpit/Model and Spaces/Podcockpit.

I removed a few of Squads folders of stuff I don't use (all the internal ivas, aerodynamics, command, and wheels). Also removed all squad props, loaded fine after removing that stuff.

BTW, I got the same hang up with ATM removed.

This is what I'm doing to get past this:

@ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG:HAS[#folder[Squad]]
{
@enabled = false
}

Sucks to have to exclude all of the Squad stuff when all I really want to do is just have ATM not process that one folder but nothing else I can do :(

This is what I'm doing to get past this:

@ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG:HAS[#folder[Squad]]
{
@enabled = false
}

Sucks to have to exclude all of the Squad stuff when all I really want to do is just have ATM not process that one folder but nothing else I can do :(

Where do I put those lines?

You shouldnt have to use ATM on 64bit as it can access more memory, how much ram does your pc or laptop have. I have to use it under 32 bit but under 64 bit I dont, currently sitting on 4 gig of ram used

I have 32GB of RAM but I'm using quite a lot of planets which, alone, send my RAM usage to 8GB easily.

I don't mind having a slightly texture quality reduction in exchange of not consuming so much RAM.

Where do I put those lines?

Make a cfg file and paste those lines into it. The file goes anywhere in your GameData folder. (I have a MyTweaks folder that I use just for this purpose)

Requires Module Manager.

Make a cfg file and paste those lines into it. The file goes anywhere in your GameData folder. (I have a MyTweaks folder that I use just for this purpose)

Requires Module Manager.

Go into BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs\Squad.cfg and set enabled to false ^^ easier :)

Theres a squad.cfg file inside GameData/BoulderCo/ActiveTextureManagement folder...
Go into BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs\Squad.cfg and set enabled to false ^^ easier :)

Easier? Arguable, perhaps.

Smarter? No, not really.

I can think of a number of scenarios where that can come back to bite you in the ass. What happens if there's an ActiveTextureManagement update?

Congratulations, you just overwrote your changes. Do you do that sort of thing on a regular basis? Edit mod base files? Edit stock files maybe? Don't forget to go back and edit them again if you update said mod or KSP.

My way survives such updates.

Easier? Arguable, perhaps.

Smarter? No, not really.

I can think of a number of scenarios where that can come back to bite you in the ass. What happens if there's an ActiveTextureManagement update?

Congratulations, you just overwrote your changes. Do you do that sort of thing on a regular basis? Edit mod base files? Edit stock files maybe? Don't forget to go back and edit them again if you update said mod or KSP.

My way survives such updates.

Well, Ideally, my next update should address this issue :) I have to get to the bottom of this.

hmm seems this not quite working right for .24. just tested it and with 32bit .24 its not workign right but works on .23.5 right.

my ram usage for .23.5 is 2.8gb with texture reduction but when i tried it with .24 it keep going up and up till got ram crash so its not quite working right. it does show in the cache that its saved some but dont seem to be doing something that it did before.

i compared the 2 logs and this is the part thats missing from the .24 log

LOG 09:32:24.092] Load(Texture): AlbertKerminIndustries/Parts/InteriorHeatProbe/heat probe 1 texture 3

[LOG 09:32:24.105] ActiveTextureManagement: Saved 0B

basicaly seems like this part of the texture reducter isnt working for .24

didnt see no error for texture reducer so its just a part of the mod thats not working is all. log shows its loading the .dll fine

Edited by sidfu

I think it doesn't do anything for 0.24. Right now, i don't have anything installed but blizzys toolbar and texture management. I copied ATM from my 0.35 dir as is, including the config, then cleared the texture cache.

Results after loading to the main menu: The texture cache is entirely empty. The only thing in there is a directory for the toolbar - the squad directory isn't even created.

I think it doesn't do anything for 0.24. Right now, i don't have anything installed but blizzys toolbar and texture management. I copied ATM from my 0.35 dir as is, including the config, then cleared the texture cache.

Results after loading to the main menu: The texture cache is entirely empty. The only thing in there is a directory for the toolbar - the squad directory isn't even created.

Does it still speed up the load time after the fist time?

Cannot say, because i am using ATM with a KSP install where MOST (but not all) textures have already been handoptimized by me. ATM to me just is there to deal with the few unoptimized ones, or those that have alpha channels, since i don't know how to save TGA's with alpha, and PNG loading is buggy for parts that were made for MBM.

TL/DR: I wouldn't notice the difference. I'm using ATM to squeeze out the last bit of VRAM, not to speed up loading.

yes, first run will take a while cause it's compressing all the textures, every load after that it's just making sure it doesn't need to re-compress them.

though atm its not working properly, it appears to hit an exception and stop reading/compressing files as soon as it hits the first .truecolor

currently i'm trying to figure out the override stuff to see if i can just make it skip them all together w/o skipping the whole squad folder.

Linux 64 bit user here with 8 Gb RAM and I have been using ATM since it was first released and gaining an advantage the whole time.

I hate to disappoint all you Windows users new to 64 bit but if you like to run heavy with mods you are still going to need this! I just re-installed TextureReplacer and EVE in 0.24 and at around 6 Gb RAM used I hit the wall for available texture memory. On my system the Linux 64 bit version does not appear to make all your remaining free RAM available for textures and I seriously doubt the Windows 64 bit version is any different. You will probably find that the aggressive version of ATM is not as necessary as before. I have always been able to run with the basic version. Possibly folks with 16 or 32 Gb of RAM will have a different experience,I don't know but I am interested to know if purchasing more RAM would make any difference.

Thanks as always for the great work rbray89, cheers,

Kaa