[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Didn't work for me without mods. Game loads fine and no crashes, but ATM simply won't work and the game loads as if ATM isn't there. Might be the same issue it had when .24 came out and ATM had problems with the new agency files and didn't work at first.

Might it be a ModuleManager problem? I started my 0.25 game without any problems this morning, using ModuleManager 2.3.5. I upgraded a couple of mods and I have now tried both MM 2.5.0 and MM 2.5.1 to no avail.

Might it be a ModuleManager problem? I started my 0.25 game without any problems this morning, using ModuleManager 2.3.5. I upgraded a couple of mods and I have now tried both MM 2.5.0 and MM 2.5.1 to no avail.

That's an interesting thought. Right after the 0.25 update I started it with my usual mods, I got like 8 warnings of incompatible mods but started a new sandbox save anyway as I just wanted to see the destructible buildings with Whack-a-Kerbal.

I then updated MM, DRE, FAR, and a couple others. Now it memory crashes on startup and ATM doesn't appear to be running at all as it was at 3.5 GB when it crashed and usually runs about 2.9.

I will try my MM from 0.24.5 (I saved a backup last week) and report back what happens.

[Edit] Nope, tried MM 2.3.3 and it zoomed above 3.5 GB and went KaBOOm! I have no idea why it started with the same mods when it first updated. It hasn't started since without deleting a bunch of mods.

It was worth a shot though. Not like I had something better to do.

Edited by pslytely psycho

Or maybe it's related that it just does not work, as rbray89 said 5 post earlier.

Can't you chill out a bit and wait for dev to release update for their mods ? If you can't live without a mod don't update KSP until they are ready...

Or maybe it's related that it just does not work, as rbray89 said 5 post earlier.

Can't you chill out a bit and wait for dev to release update for their mods ? If you can't live without a mod don't update KSP until they are ready...

We're chill man.

Someone proposed something interesting that was worth a shot. Oddly enough, mine started the first time but not since updating the few that were ready. Got up at 03:00 to watch the Lunar eclipse and saw the post. Nothing better to do. (Lunar eclipses be slooooooow!)

I always save the last version to actually play for the first week or two as things update anyway.

Started in 0.18 and 0.19 taught me real rapidly to save the last stable setup before an update!

So we be chillin' mon.....:cool:

[Edit] I'm running slow, I just realized who you are. Just want to say thanks for all the incredible work, you guys and gals all rock! You modders have inspired me to try to learn modeling. In another life I painted and drew a lot, so this has piqued my interest! Thanks! :)

Edited by pslytely psycho

Chill mode engaged.

Yep i learnt the hard way as well but i have nice backup of 24.2 that I am playing and watching all the forum threads for updates, from previous experience the problems get fixed really quick but can take up to a week just give them a few days most have RL as well.

I wonder if it has to do with this line in the 0.25 changelog:

Misc:

* GameDatabase code tweaked to allow modders to write their own asset loaders.

* Added GameEvents.OnCrewTransferred, fired from CrewTransfer and EVAs leaving and boarding

* Added SCREENSHOT_SUPERSIZE parameter to settings.cfg to allow taking ultra-high-res (multisampled) screenshots.

* Application Launcher added to tracking station (Messages and Contracts App visible).

Just to let every one know, I got this "seemingly" working with .25. What I did is load stock .25 and set my graphic settings to what I had on 24.2, then installed all my mods (All mine I use are up-to-date already) and was able to play at on 1.5Gb ram used. If I remove ATM game crashes at load. Just my two cents on the matter, I may be wrong but worth a try right. Also, I am using MM 2.5.1 dll.

That is my guess. Still have to get some time to take a look.

I doubt it. 0.25 allow to create child of DatabaseLoader (from memory) + an attribute that let us add loader of new files extensions. It did not change much more.

The other change allow to insert new LoadingSystem in the LoadingScreen, so we can do things in the loading screen without locking up the game (but sadly only after GameDatabase is loaded).

Neither of those should have any impact in ATM.

I did a quick test yesterday, compiled a version with more log spam, and all seems fine to me. It may just be the new part texture using more mem (they are all DXT1/5 already).

I doubt it. 0.25 allow to create child of DatabaseLoader (from memory) + an attribute that let us add loader of new files extensions. It did not change much more.

The other change allow to insert new LoadingSystem in the LoadingScreen, so we can do things in the loading screen without locking up the game (but sadly only after GameDatabase is loaded).

Neither of those should have any impact in ATM.

And I had soooo high hopes for this :(

I did a quick test yesterday, compiled a version with more log spam, and all seems fine to me. It may just be the new part texture using more mem (they are all DXT1/5 already).

hmm i was playin at 1.8GB in 24.2 with that awesome mod in 0.25 it raises over 3.5GB in no time. i dont know what squad have done withe the textures but i dont want it anymore :(

edit: oh man i just installed stock 0.25 and i takes 1.8gb thats just insane

Edited by whaaw

hmm i was playin at 1.8GB in 24.2 with that awesome mod in 0.25 it raises over 3.5GB in no time. i dont know what squad have done withe the textures but i dont want it anymore :(

edit: oh man i just installed stock 0.25 and i takes 1.8gb thats just insane

The reason for the memory increase is that they added the Space Plane Plus Mod as Stock, meaning you now have more wings and things to play with.

The reason for the memory increase is that they added the Space Plane Plus Mod as Stock, meaning you now have more wings and things to play with.

i mean look with 0.24 i was able to run this with ease:

modlist.jpg

even if i pick every mod out that has a Partfolder inside it crashes with 3.5Gb after 10% loading :) i know im a Mod junky

Since SpacePlane Plus was already in the list of "essential" mods (at least in most of the compilations i saw that used ATM) ... sorry, i doubt that S+ is the reason.

I'll have to look when I get home, but with stock .24 and ATM versus stock .25 and ATM, I wonder what the difference is in memory savings. Has anybody done a breakdown of the different directories? I downloaded the source last night to see how ATM works, and it looks like each update event it checks to see what textures need compressing. Just brainstorming here, but maybe the problem is that the game loads textures faster than the mod can compress them. Makes me wonder if an external app could compress the textures and replace the mod's textures with placeholders. That way, the textures it loads are small and the ATM can do its thing.

Edited by Angel-125

I just ran a quick test of KSPx86 with, and without the current ATM. Looking at memory usage reported by task manager with KSP at the title screen.

Without ATM: 2.734 gb

With ATM: 2.953 gb

Conclusion: ATM is not working at all on KSP version .25, and it's not because of the new spaceplace parts.

I will patiently and respectfully wait for mr rbray to look into it.