[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

On a side note, I noticed today after installing all the same mods on both a 24.2 and .25 version of the game, on the 24.2 when game is loading ATM runs first and takes 3-5 mins before every thing else loads, on .25 I never see ATM in the loading bar,there for ATM must not be working as we all figured, this just goes towards confirming that

Indeed. I found out that the cache is not loaded properly.

rbray89, I don't know if you had/have the time to look into it. I'll assume your busy and look into it more. I'm on IRC as usual :)

What I found so far is that the DB is not fully init on Awake now. I moved it a bit later and the cache init properly now. The new Loader system Mu added could be used to have the game load the cache too, but it's a larger code change.

I'll edit this as I find out bugs.

Edit : I pushed a fix for what I found, and it seems to make ATM work as intended (KSP + NP2 went from 2.4 to 1.5 GB)

Edited by sarbian

Indeed. I found out that the cache is not loaded properly.

rbray89, I don't know if you had/have the time to look into it. I'll assume your busy and look into it more. I'm on IRC as usual :)

What I found so far is that the DB is not fully init on Awake now. I moved it a bit later and the cache init properly now. The new Loader system Mu added could be used to have the game load the cache too, but it's a larger code change.

I'll edit this as I find out bugs.

Edit : I pushed a fix for what I found, and it seems to make ATM work as intended (KSP + NP2 went from 2.4 to 1.5 GB)

This is amazing news! Thank you Sarbian for lending a helping hand!

EDIT: Apparently I have to spread some rep around before giving it to you again...

Apparently its not yet available for us mere mortals.. Or did I miss something? :)

Edited by altrue

the openGL thing worked wonders for me, wish I'd seen that a long time ago!

With openGL and ATM running, I've got 41 mods (B9 & Better Atmosphere full hi-res pack included), and I'm topping out at 2.3gb ram. Without the Better Atmospheres pack, I top out at less than 2gb.

Only issue I had was that anytime I alt-tab, the game reverts back to a full-screen window causing the bottom of the window to hang off my screen... so I couldn't bring up the navball. BUT finally figured out that pressing ALT-ENTER makes the game go back to full-screen. So problem solved. :)

the openGL thing worked wonders for me, wish I'd seen that a long time ago!

With openGL and ATM running, I've got 41 mods (B9 & Better Atmosphere full hi-res pack included), and I'm topping out at 2.3gb ram. Without the Better Atmospheres pack, I top out at less than 2gb.

Only issue I had was that anytime I alt-tab, the game reverts back to a full-screen window causing the bottom of the window to hang off my screen... so I couldn't bring up the navball. BUT finally figured out that pressing ALT-ENTER makes the game go back to full-screen. So problem solved. :)

Alternatively, just add a -popupwindow tag to the command line thing after the opengl one, and it will render as a borderless window and you won't get that issue

Apparently its not yet available for us mere mortals.. Or did I miss something? :)

I just built it for myself and decided I should share:

x86

x64

To sarbian and rbay89:

If either of you want me to take this down for any reason let me know.

One problem is that seems not possible anymore to "hide" textures from KSPs own load mechanism. ATM and LOD used this to heavily speed up the loading process. Now you have to wait for the game to load the file, unload it and load the own version, what is an imo ....ty solution. ATM did this some time ago and could probably revert to it in case sarbian change isn't sufficient, but i hope we can figure out how to get it working in a non-stupid way, again. But so far i haven't found any using public writable properties. Hope to find one in this project but seems like we are all in the same boat. :(

Also i don't understand why it's necessary to hide those loaded textures from GameDatabase's loader anyway. The logs says "OUT OF DATE" when reloading them, but there's no reason for them to be! Maybe a bug within KSP?

medsouz: those files are going to need some text (in them) saying they're by rbray89 and sarbian, as all posted addons must conform to the addon rules (and in particular follow the license of the work from which they're derived).

Confused chap.

"The MIT License (MIT)

Copyright © 2013 Ryan Bray"

... is in the licence of medsouz's compile. Not sure sarbian needs a credit unless he really wants one, surely?

I don't need more credit, my name is in the first post since a long time ago :)

Now you have some dll you may tell me if it actually works.

Edited by sarbian

it's a no go for me i get this when i put the recompile version every time removing it solves the problem

any ideas?

ksp 0.25 x32

Shader 'AtmosphereFromGround': fallback shader 'None' not found

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Glow Downsample' - Invalid texture combiner

InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1+Enumerator[urlDir+UrlFile].VerifyState () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1+Enumerator[urlDir+UrlFile].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UrlDir+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UrlDir+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GameDatabase+

.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Glow Downsample' - Invalid texture combiner

I don't need more credit, my name is in the first post since a long time ago :)

Now you have some dll you may tell me if it actually works.

Since the age of the First Ones, before they were wiped out with the dinosaurs. You've had millions of years to sort out MechJeb. What's up with that?

Whether or not sarbian claims credit, it would only make sense to mention (in the zip) that the release you've released wasn't released by rbray, and in fact includes code that isn't his. Attribution isn't only about giving credit. :)

I just built it for myself and decided I should share:

x86

x64

To sarbian and rbay89:

If either of you want me to take this down for any reason let me know.

a million thanks! :D it runs smooth for me. but i still waiting for official patch :P. hope the official would be more better.

medsouz: those files are going to need some text (in them) saying they're by rbray89 and sarbian, as all posted addons must conform to the addon rules (and in particular follow the license of the work from which they're derived).

I thought the fact that I quoted someone asking for sarbian's build and saying that sarbian or rbay can ask me to take it down as enough attribution but I guess I can post in big red text that they made it.

edit: added CREDIT.txt to both zips.

Edited by medsouz