[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Wait... and the ones that already have a cfg file? Like... all my mods?

I'm starting to think that those 400 MB less camefrom black magic.

That is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. Can you post your output_log.txt file for me? Is it possible you accidentally downloaded aggressive? or there is still a config in ActiveTextureManagement? (it should have moved to BoulderCo)

That is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. Can you post your output_log.txt file for me? Is it possible you accidentally downloaded aggressive? or there is still a config in ActiveTextureManagement? (it should have moved to BoulderCo)

I downloaded both, but I only used Basic. I was using Aggressive before, I wanted to try the basic and I got those nice results.

However I've played a bit since I've installed 4.2, is my output.log ( the one in KSP_Data, right? ) still valid? Here it is https://mega.co.nz/#!Rs1VBSBK!o28WL-VF9R4OXDsEC3kvPbsmC88lnpJ9-UpJi_ynDlM

I downloaded both, but I only used Basic. I was using Aggressive before, I wanted to try the basic and I got those nice results.

However I've played a bit since I've installed 4.2, is my output.log ( the one in KSP_Data, right? ) still valid? Here it is https://mega.co.nz/#!Rs1VBSBK!o28WL-VF9R4OXDsEC3kvPbsmC88lnpJ9-UpJi_ynDlM

Ok, could you provide the one with 4.1 now? (I Know, you would have to re-cache...) I think I have an idea of where the issues might be stemming from, but not 100% certain.

Ok, could you provide the one with 4.1 now? (I Know, you would have to re-cache...) I think I have an idea of where the issues might be stemming from, but not 100% certain.

Not enough time this night... ( I'm in Italy) I'll do it tomorrow morning

Do I still have to restart ksp after ATM is finished loading? Also lets say I install a new parts mod afterwards. Fasa for instance... Would the process have to start over essentially for those newly introduced textures?

Only if you want additional memory savings.

- - - Updated - - -

Not enough time this night... ( I'm in Italy) I'll do it tomorrow morning

alright, sounds good. Thanks for your cooperation :)

KSP still stops loading at boulderco\clouds\textures\aurora2

http://txt.do/oe6p

You are running out of memory:

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 178956972B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: NewDelete
Allocation happend at: Line:0 in Overloaded New[]
Memory overview

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 701628373B | peak: 0B | reserved: 714830329B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 627930785B | peak: 0B | reserved: 650263296B

[ ALLOC_CACHEOBJECTS ] used: 222792B | peak: 0B | reserved: 12582912B

[ ALLOC_TYPETREE ] used: 0B | peak: 0B | reserved: 0B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 61416B | peak: 0B | reserved: 8388608B
Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Memory overview

You are running out of memory:
DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Memory overview

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 701628373B | peak: 0B | reserved: 714830329B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 627930785B | peak: 0B | reserved: 650263296B

[ ALLOC_CACHEOBJECTS ] used: 222792B | peak: 0B | reserved: 12582912B

[ ALLOC_TYPETREE ] used: 0B | peak: 0B | reserved: 0B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 61416B | peak: 0B | reserved: 8388608B
Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Memory overview

I thought the point of ATM was to reduce the RAM footprint so I can have more mods and stuff?

The loading screen always freezes at a certain file (the name escapes me right now), and the memory hasn't run out because it's at 1.7 gigs.

Output log

Edit: I started it again and the file was TextureReplacer/Default/kerbalHelmetNRM

Hmmm... Might need to re-cache your agencies directory:

d3d: failed to create 2D texture id=3216 w=26 h=26 mips=5 d3dfmt=894720068 [invalid call]

I thought the point of ATM was to reduce the RAM footprint so I can have more mods and stuff?

Well, sure, but it needs memory to do that in the first place. Not a lot, but it does need some. Have you tried the aggressive config instead of basic?

The loading screen always freezes at a certain file (the name escapes me right now), and the memory hasn't run out because it's at 1.7 gigs.

Output log

Edit: I started it again and the file was TextureReplacer/Default/kerbalHelmetNRM

Your log shows that you were updating the cache for the next texture, KerbinScaledSpace300. Some of those planet textures may just be slow enough that you think it's frozen, but it may come back later.

I also saw exceptions from incompatible versions of KSP Interstellar, Distant Object Enhancement, and KolonyTools. I know Interstellar and MKS have versions out that are compatible with 0.25. Wouldn't hurt to remove or update those just to limit the amount of weirdness going on.

Well, sure, but it needs memory to do that in the first place. Not a lot, but it does need some. Have you tried the aggressive config instead of basic?

I have tried both basic and aggressive, with and without opengl. It always gets stuck on the same file and its RAM is at 3.08 each time I have to end the process through the task manager

I have tried both basic and aggressive, with and without opengl. It always gets stuck on the same file and its RAM is at 3.08 each time I have to end the process through the task manager

I have 32 mods installed with a high powered desktop. It still took 30-45 min with the multi thread ATM. Be patient it may seem like it is stuck but it is working in the background. It will show that it is not responding in task manager as well. Let it do its thing. If it crashes to desktop start it back up and continue the process until you get the menu screen.

It is possible that at that point you VRAM is full as well. I see from one of you other posts you are using a mobile GPU, most likely you are using up your dedicated VRAM and it is trying to pass it back to the system memory which is causing your crashes.

Edited by theersink

Opengl mode? It should not be at 3gigs.

You using integrated graphics?

if opengl mode is on and you get 3gb then get a nother card :P

Your log shows that you were updating the cache for the next texture, KerbinScaledSpace300. Some of those planet textures may just be slow enough that you think it's frozen, but it may come back later.

I also saw exceptions from incompatible versions of KSP Interstellar, Distant Object Enhancement, and KolonyTools. I know Interstellar and MKS have versions out that are compatible with 0.25. Wouldn't hurt to remove or update those just to limit the amount of weirdness going on.

Okay, I guess that I just didn't wait long enough. How long should it take? I literally waited 30 minutes before stopping the program.

As to the mods, they should all be up-to-date because I just did a clean install and updated all of them.

I initially had problems so I broke the mods up into chunks and added them bit by bit example : mods labelled A to E went in then the next batch of 5 etc etc. With only a few mods to do each time it cached quickly and didnt run out of memory. You just have to restart 4 or 5 times and I strongly recommend opengl its such a memory saver

Edited by Virtualgenius

Good Catch.

I have 32 mods installed with a high powered desktop. It still took 30-45 min with the multi thread ATM. Be patient it may seem like it is stuck but it is working in the background. It will show that it is not responding in task manager as well. Let it do its thing. If it crashes to desktop start it back up and continue the process until you get the menu screen.

It is possible that at that point you VRAM is full as well. I see from one of you other posts you are using a mobile GPU, most likely you are using up your dedicated VRAM and it is trying to pass it back to the system memory which is causing your crashes.

Ah... This would do it. That would explain why the d3d call complained of OOM before the .NET calls did.

How much RAM do you have available on the system?