[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

I initially had problems so I broke the mods up into chunks and added them bit by bit example : mods labelled A to E went in then the next batch of 5 etc etc. With only a few mods to do each time it cached quickly and didnt run out of memory. You just have to restart 4 or 5 times and I strongly recommend opengl its such a memory saver

Thank you, thank you very much! I removed B9 since it was already cached, let KSP load up with everything else, then added B9 back and I was able to load up KSP! I'm not even running opengl and the RAM usage is only at 2.7 :D

Looks like you don't have any configs installed:

DatabaseLoaderTexture_ATM:    normal List: 

Install the BoulderCo folder as well. Make sure it's contents get transferred.

Giving it another shot. Lets see what happens.

I'm getting a crash as soon as loading finishes when I'm in OpenGL mode. The game loads when I'm in Dx9 but I end up at 98% Ram capacity so that's obviously not prefered.

Error: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BZCbirvqywT05DTGMyVlpWVlE/view?usp=sharing

Output: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BZCbirvqywSUZxWExtWUhELWc/view?usp=sharing

I'm getting a crash as soon as loading finishes when I'm in OpenGL mode. The game loads when I'm in Dx9 but I end up at 98% Ram capacity so that's obviously not prefered.

Error: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BZCbirvqywT05DTGMyVlpWVlE/view?usp=sharing

Output: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BZCbirvqywSUZxWExtWUhELWc/view?usp=sharing

You are also running windows x64, and I can pretty much guarantee you that this isn't an issue with my mod. If you wan't to keep running with all the mods you have, you'll have to move to aggressive.

- - - Updated - - -

So 6 crashes and it hasn't even finished with the Retro Future stuff.

You have LOTS of mods that don't have any configs for them. Moving to aggressive would also help as well.

You are also running windows x64, and I can pretty much guarantee you that this isn't an issue with my mod. If you wan't to keep running with all the mods you have, you'll have to move to aggressive.

Will try, just for reference: do I need to delete the cache when I switch to aggressive? And let it reload?

I am constantly getting out of memory errors when I attempt to load "Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar".

Trying to figure this out I have gone so far to even remove everything out of my game data folder except for ActiveTextureManagement (Release 4-2 Agressive x86), Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar (with features 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, and 12 in BoulderCo\Clouds), and ModuleManager 2.5.3 and I am still getting out of memory errors while the game is loading.

output_log.txt

error.log

Hi,

I use the x64 standard version on WIndows 7. Loads up just fine, takes about an hour. I start a new career, everything's great. But when I quit the game, boot it back up and try to load the campaign, it crashes every time. Uninstalled the mod & texture cache 3 times now with 3 new careers, it's the same every time. I added no new mods in the meantime, and changed nothing about the game. What's the problem?

http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog

Mod loads fine, takes about an hour. I save my new career, exit the game. Reboot is working. When loading the campaign, the game crashes.

x64 standard, windows 7.

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'ActiveTextureManagement' from assembly 'ActiveTextureManagement'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'FARDebugOptions' from assembly 'FerramAerospaceResearch'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at UIManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIManager.DidAnyPointerHitUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpaceCenterCamera2.InputCamera () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpaceCenterCamera2.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Crash!!!

SymInit: Symbol-SearchPath: '.;D:\Games\SteamGames\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program;D:\Games\SteamGames\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program;C:\windows;C:\windows\system32;SRV*C:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;', symOptions: 530, UserName: 'Marius'

OS-Version: 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1) 0x300-0x1

alright, sounds good. Thanks for your cooperation :)

Started re-caching. Man, 4.1 is really slow, almost not responsive, even with a high end machine. On the other hand 4.2 works like a charm.

I'll upload the log as soon as I can, I wasn't at home before

rbray89, here it is. https://mega.co.nz/#!Y5NjXI4A!shkanKIfaiYKEWET7RR1E4pueveNKBmdMxEDL6HL1YM

I'll add something I've noticed: I don't know if it's normal, but clouds create a strange effect on the horizon, which looks only temporary. I'm using BA and I've never noticed it, but it could have been just a lack of attention, or just so rare and fast which can't be easily seen. Here you are a pair of screenshot, the "anomalies" are on the top of the screen in the first image and on the islands in the second one, while there isnt' anything left where it was before. That's why I'm thinking they're just normal low cloud effects

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Moreover, my RAM usage was ~2.6 GB just after loading, ~2.7 GB on the first KSC screen, ~3 GB after: opening VAB and many other facilities, going in the tracking station and look at every celestial body twice ( from close distance ), loading a ship in the VAB and put it on the launchpad, then again load another ship and put it on the launchpad ( with a short fire test ). Didn't have time to launch and put something in orbit.

So, memory leak is definitely a bit bigger than 4.2 but 4.1 starts with much lower RAM usage. Moreover, after the first loading, successive ones are equally fast on 4.1 and 4.2 ( at least on my machine )

I hope it's enough, feel free to ask me more

Hi,

I use the x64 standard version on WIndows 7. Loads up just fine, takes about an hour. I start a new career, everything's great. But when I quit the game, boot it back up and try to load the campaign, it crashes every time. Uninstalled the mod & texture cache 3 times now with 3 new careers, it's the same every time. I added no new mods in the meantime, and changed nothing about the game. What's the problem?

Starting to see why mod authors drop x64 support... There isn't anything in the log that really indicates what the problem is. I see that FAR is installed (even though it isn't supported by x64) so that might be the culprit.

The only other thing I notice is that you are using Basic, so moving to Agressive may help. Otherwise, I'm afraid there isn't much I can do.

I am constantly getting out of memory errors when I attempt to load "Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar".

Trying to figure this out I have gone so far to even remove everything out of my game data folder except for ActiveTextureManagement (Release 4-2 Agressive x86), Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar (with features 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, and 12 in BoulderCo\Clouds), and ModuleManager 2.5.3 and I am still getting out of memory errors while the game is loading.

output_log.txt

error.log

I was getting the same problems. Temporarily remove your other large mods and let KSP load and have ATM cache AVP files. Once it is loaded, add your other mods (depending on how many you have you may have to do a few at a time).

My only large mod was B9 so I removed it and KSP loaded perfectly with AVP and ATM. Then I added it back and I'm sitting now at 2.7 GB RAM (I think I ended up using basic and I'm not running open GL).

rbray89, here it is. https://mega.co.nz/#!Y5NjXI4A!shkanKIfaiYKEWET7RR1E4pueveNKBmdMxEDL6HL1YM

I'll add something I've noticed: I don't know if it's normal, but clouds create a strange effect on the horizon, which looks only temporary. I'm using BA and I've never noticed it, but it could have been just a lack of attention, or just so rare and fast which can't be easily seen. Here you are a pair of screenshot, the "anomalies" are on the top of the screen in the first image and on the islands in the second one, while there isnt' anything left where it was before. That's why I'm thinking they're just normal low cloud effects

http://imgur.com/a/wekOd

Moreover, my RAM usage was ~2.6 GB just after loading, ~2.7 GB on the first KSC screen, ~3 GB after: opening VAB and many other facilities, going in the tracking station and look at every celestial body twice ( from close distance ), loading a ship in the VAB and put it on the launchpad, then again load another ship and put it on the launchpad ( with a short fire test ). Didn't have time to launch and put something in orbit.

So, memory leak is definitely a bit bigger than 4.2 but 4.1 starts with much lower RAM usage. Moreover, after the first loading, successive ones are equally fast on 4.1 and 4.2 ( at least on my machine )

I hope it's enough, feel free to ask me more

Yeah, It looks like the most likely cause is that the new version isn't compressing unhandled normal maps (which is expected) It is an easy change to make to allow an override if that is desired.

Starting to see why mod authors drop x64 support... There isn't anything in the log that really indicates what the problem is. I see that FAR is installed (even though it isn't supported by x64) so that might be the culprit.

The only other thing I notice is that you are using Basic, so moving to Agressive may help. Otherwise, I'm afraid there isn't much I can do.

I'll see if I get it to work without FAR!

Yeah, It looks like the most likely cause is that the new version isn't compressing unhandled normal maps (which is expected) It is an easy change to make to allow an override if that is desired.

Did you take a look at the output log?

Edited by Agost

Did you take a look at the output log?

Yeah. The only big difference is that the Normal maps aren't compressed. Considering there are quite a few 1024*1024 with mipmaps, that could easily account for the memory discrepancy.

Hi,

Ksp 64bit IS UNSTABLE pls do not use it.

Heard win 7 unstable better upgrage to win 8 and get used it(not bias!)

load ONE mod at a time when going through.

Like one mod per launch so that it could generate the cfgs. And one mod after a launch.

and after generating the cfgs. Put all the mods in and try again :)

Edited by Joshwoo69

Yeah. The only big difference is that the Normal maps aren't compressed. Considering there are quite a few 1024*1024 with mipmaps, that could easily account for the memory discrepancy.

But if normalmaps aren't compressed in 4.1, why does 4.1 use less memory of 4.2, which compresses them?

Normal Maps aren't being compressed now. They were in 4.1.

So why does activetexturamanagement.cfg 4.1 have "compress_normals=false " while it is "compress_normals=true" on 4.2? D:

And I didn't confuse files, since 4.2 first loading is definitely many times faster than 4.1