[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

I was just going to try it, because as of 0.90 stock KSP will no longer run in 2GB.

On edit: Nope. ATM keeps running out of memory trying to do the conversions. The cache directory never even gets created. KSP.log here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ti9xqtt8i2majls/KSP.90.ATM.Aggressive.log?dl=0

[LOG 20:10:38.102] Load(Audio): Squad/Sounds/sound_tab_retreat
[LOG 20:10:38.127] Load(Texture): NASAmission/Flags/NASA
[LOG 20:10:38.172] ActiveTextureManagement: Loading texture...
[EXC 20:10:38.200] OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory
ActiveTextureManagement.TextureConverter.InitImageBuffer ()
ActiveTextureManagement.TextureConverter.IMGToTexture (ActiveTextureManagement.TexInfo Texture, Boolean mipmaps, Boolean isNormalFormat)
ActiveTextureManagement.TextureConverter.GetReadable (ActiveTextureManagement.TexInfo Texture, Boolean mipmaps)
ActiveTextureManagement.CacheController.RebuildCache (ActiveTextureManagement.TexInfo Texture, Boolean compress, Boolean mipmaps)
ActiveTextureManagement.CacheController.FetchCacheTexture (ActiveTextureManagement.TexInfo Texture, Boolean compress, Boolean mipmaps)
ActiveTextureManagement.DatabaseLoaderTexture_ATM.UpdateTexture (ActiveTextureManagement.TexInfo texture)
ActiveTextureManagement.DatabaseLoaderTexture_ATM+<Load>d__4.MoveNext ()
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
:MoveNext()
[LOG 20:10:38.213] Load(Texture): NASAmission/Parts/GrapplingDevice/grabberDiffuse
[LOG 20:10:38.232] ActiveTextureManagement: Loading texture...
[EXC 20:10:38.236] OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory
ActiveTextureManagement.TextureConverter.IMGToTexture (ActiveTextureManagement.TexInfo Texture, Boolean mipmaps, Boolean isNormalFormat)
ActiveTextureManagement.TextureConverter.GetReadable (ActiveTextureManagement.TexInfo Texture, Boolean mipmaps)
ActiveTextureManagement.CacheController.RebuildCache (ActiveTextureManagement.TexInfo Texture, Boolean compress, Boolean mipmaps)
ActiveTextureManagement.CacheController.FetchCacheTexture (ActiveTextureManagement.TexInfo Texture, Boolean compress, Boolean mipmaps)
ActiveTextureManagement.DatabaseLoaderTexture_ATM.UpdateTexture (ActiveTextureManagement.TexInfo texture)
[LOG 20:10:38.249] Load(Texture): NASAmission/Parts/GrapplingDevice/window
[LOG 20:10:38.254] ActiveTextureManagement: Loading texture...
[EXC 20:10:38.272] OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory

http://i.imgur.com/6xkNdUY.png

Hmmm... hopefully I just need to recompile it. I'll be working on this tonight.

I find I'm no longer able to run the game in OpenGL. :( Good and bad, though. Good, because the OpenGL was so poorly optimized, that it would make two GTX 780s struggle, and I won't miss it. Bad, because without ATM, there is no KSP for me! I appreciate the effort, rbray! :D

I find I'm no longer able to run the game in OpenGL. :( Good and bad, though. Good, because the OpenGL was so poorly optimized, that it would make two GTX 780s struggle, and I won't miss it. Bad, because without ATM, there is no KSP for me! I appreciate the effort, rbray! :D

You're not the only one. Unfortunately any veteran player knows that its not the day of release you get excited about. Its about 3-5 days after when all your mods are updated. ATM has the honor and curse of making about 80% of KSP players games work. So I think I speak for everyone when I say with the upmost consideration of real life, time, effort, and difficulty......PLEASE HURRY UP! In all seriousness I am sure KSP players who are in the middle of finals are very happy and hope you take all the time you need.

Why cant you run in opengl I have gtx680 and its fine

The loading screen shows up, but when I get to the title screen, and the game is trying to render the Munar surface with a crashed lander, my screens are all black, except for a small rectangle on the lower left, that flickers very fast, and occupies about 1/4 of that screen only. It's a bizarre gfx bug for sure, and never happened prior to 0.90. I reinstalled fresh, and made sure my drivers were all up to date. Wasn't meant to be.

The loading screen shows up, but when I get to the title screen, and the game is trying to render the Munar surface with a crashed lander, my screens are all black, except for a small rectangle on the lower left, that flickers very fast, and occupies about 1/4 of that screen only. It's a bizarre gfx bug for sure, and never happened prior to 0.90. I reinstalled fresh, and made sure my drivers were all up to date. Wasn't meant to be.

disable fullscreen and run in frameless window that shoud fix the problem

also be sure to add this to your shortcut " -force-opengl -popupwindow"

disable fullscreen and run in frameless window that shoud fix the problem

also be sure to add this to your shortcut " -force-opengl -popupwindow"

Still no luck, I'm afraid. I tried rolling back my GFX card driver one version, too, but no joy. I'm not sure what could have changed that much from 0.25 to 0.90.

step one : ksp 0.25 = atm 4.2

ksp 0.90 = atm recompiled ( wich is not out yet, but sounds like it's coming soon : ''working on this tonight'' are the keywords here)

step two : choose between whatever you want : 0.25 with ATM, or 0.90 without ATM, but you'll add it later

Actually, I get pretty good performance without it, the game seems to run way smoother than 0.25 ... well I definitely have a better FPS. And a little 600mb in the RAM that was not there, even though I removed KSPInterstellar until it's updated! I can't wait to add ATM over this performance increase ( maybe my computer is just ... something )

EDIT: I admit that their explanation is unclear for somebody who never heard of the power of unity argument

That's what they we're refering to, you should read it if you didn't already

Edited by Saint-Stanislas

one way you could reduce the initial time is package the compressed squad textures with the mod (as long as it doesn't violate the EULA, Of course), I'm sure the squad folder is one of the biggest in everyones install. For me it has taken at least twice as long as everything that came before it. (still loading :P)