[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Yay!

Btw the cfg of Stationpartexpansion and WildBlueIndustries dont have .cfg. I'm not sure if ATM will read them without it ? ( anyway, i'm not using either of these )

Thank you !

Actually, Multipurpose Colony Modules comes with its own ATM config. You'll find it under the WildBlueIndustries directory. :) If Nuclear Engines doesn't, it will once I finish MCM. ATM makes it possible for me to play with lots of mods. Kudos to rbray89. :)

Edited by Angel-125

EDIT: I admit that their explanation is unclear for somebody who never heard of the power of unity argument

That's what they we're refering to, you should read it if you didn't already

Yes, thanks Saint. I learned that trick from Bob Fitch, but didn't understand what I was doing. That site was great.

Goblin

Alright! With the latest version of ATM Aggressive I'm able to play KSP 0.90 at half-res on my 2GB machine. For a few minutes anyway, then it crashes due to lack of memory. It'd be wonderful if we could somehow work this magic on the .assets files in KSP_Data. Hmm.

I'm having crashes during the initial load / compression phase (ATM regenerating the texture cache) with the latest release. It got through the Squad folder (with plenty of mods, including KW Rocketry, KOSMOS, and parts of FASA), and then crashed compressing SXT. I restarted twice, and both times it got a couple more textures in SXT, and then crashed again. I've put the output log and dump files on DropBox. Revering back to the previous ATM (4.2) DLLs, and changing nothing else (same .cfg files), I was able to get the rest of the way through startup and into the game with no further problems. I've got plenty of mods, but 4.2 never showed a problem with building the cache in 0.25 or 0.90.

I'm having crashes during the initial load / compression phase (ATM regenerating the texture cache) with the latest release. It got through the Squad folder (with plenty of mods, including KW Rocketry, KOSMOS, and parts of FASA), and then crashed compressing SXT. I restarted twice, and both times it got a couple more textures in SXT, and then crashed again. I've put the output log and dump files on DropBox. Revering back to the previous ATM (4.2) DLLs, and changing nothing else (same .cfg files), I was able to get the rest of the way through startup and into the game with no further problems. I've got plenty of mods, but 4.2 never showed a problem with building the cache in 0.25 or 0.90.

We compress a few more files in 4.3, more configs, etc. I'd suggest temporarily removing some mods that have already been cached, just to let it finish, then put the mods back.

Btw the cfg of Stationpartexpansion and WildBlueIndustries dont have .cfg. I'm not sure if ATM will read them without it ? ( anyway, i'm not using either of these )

Sorry, I must have goofed when I added them to my fork in GitHub. I don't think the extension matters; if it does (I'll try it myself once those mods update, since I do use them), it's easy to fix.

Actually, Multipurpose Colony Modules comes with its own ATM config. You'll find it under the WildBlueIndustries directory. :)

Why, so it does. Sorry to recreate it -- I was going through my texturecache, looking for mods which had normal textures but no config in the configs folder.

So, I have a problem.

First, new to the forums so hi! N

ot new to the game tho!

Anyway, so I have a really bad computer and if I want to play with some mods (which I do), especially Astronomer's pack I have to use ATM. But I have a problem.

Before 0.90 everything worked just fine. So I upgraded to 0.90 and Astronomer's and Texture Replacer (for skybox) both ran fine. But then I noticed that the new MK3 parts were white. They had no texture.

I thought its an ATM bug or something (still dont know if it si) so I upgraded ATM to the newest version. First launch, its supposed to be stuck on the screen for a long time apparently, so after it did get stuck I just waited and waited.

After a while (45 minutes or so) I thought it froze and I restarted the game. This time I was patient and decided to wait. I wated for 3 and a half hours! :(and nothing. The loading was stuck on one of the citylight textures. So I deleted all of the citylight components (not a huge fan of citylights anyway) and it completely f*cked up. Didnt work at all. Next up I just deleted the texture that it was stuck on.

Finally the game launched aaaand Kerbin was all white+the custom skybox didnt work there was just a big white sheet behind Kerbin. I deleted Astronomers and everything worked fine but the skybox was still broke and the icons in VAB were all blurry! So I decided to go back to the old version of ATM and now its just stuck on the citylight texture again.

WHY DID IT WORK JUST FINE AND SUDDENLY IT BROKE?!

I should probably say I run opengl, without it I can barely play the game itself.

I just realized I havent tried aggressive. So gonna try that hopefully it will work.

Hi, I've been having an issue with the new ATM (4.3 x86 aggressive) release, which is sad because it's so very useful. I'm on 0.90, completely stock. During the load sequence it comes up with a 'too many heap sections' error. Never had this problem before this release, and not entirely certain what to do about it. I use a laptop so this greatly enhances play-ability for me usually.

That is a bug with the mk3 parts, go into debug menu using F12 and reload the database

So, I have a problem.

First, new to the forums so hi! N

ot new to the game tho!

Anyway, so I have a really bad computer and if I want to play with some mods (which I do), especially Astronomer's pack I have to use ATM. But I have a problem.

Before 0.90 everything worked just fine. So I upgraded to 0.90 and Astronomer's and Texture Replacer (for skybox) both ran fine. But then I noticed that the new MK3 parts were white. They had no texture.

I thought its an ATM bug or something (still dont know if it si) so I upgraded ATM to the newest version. First launch, its supposed to be stuck on the screen for a long time apparently, so after it did get stuck I just waited and waited.

After a while (45 minutes or so) I thought it froze and I restarted the game. This time I was patient and decided to wait. I wated for 3 and a half hours! :(and nothing. The loading was stuck on one of the citylight textures. So I deleted all of the citylight components (not a huge fan of citylights anyway) and it completely f*cked up. Didnt work at all. Next up I just deleted the texture that it was stuck on.

Finally the game launched aaaand Kerbin was all white+the custom skybox didnt work there was just a big white sheet behind Kerbin. I deleted Astronomers and everything worked fine but the skybox was still broke and the icons in VAB were all blurry! So I decided to go back to the old version of ATM and now its just stuck on the citylight texture again.

WHY DID IT WORK JUST FINE AND SUDDENLY IT BROKE?!

I should probably say I run opengl, without it I can barely play the game itself.

I just realized I havent tried aggressive. So gonna try that hopefully it will work.

Hi, sorry about this but, when i use either aggressive or normal ATM, on game load up my cpu hits 100%...needless to say, game then crashes...i have loads of ram and cpu is 4ghz haswell i7...i initially thought it was EVE, but i was wrong about that...any ideas anyone please...i have nvidia gtx680 4gb ddr5 video card and running latest drivers.

thank you...sam

Hi, sorry about this but, when i use either aggressive or normal ATM, on game load up my cpu hits 100%...needless to say, game then crashes...i have loads of ram and cpu is 4ghz haswell i7...i initially thought it was EVE, but i was wrong about that...any ideas anyone please...i have nvidia gtx680 4gb ddr5 video card and running latest drivers.

thank you...sam

That is kinda the point. This mod compresses textures on load. This takes a TON of CPU/memory. Read the first post. If it doesn't work, retry. KSP 32-bit can only index 4Gb of ram, so it doesn't matter how much your computer has.

You just have to wait for it to cache all the textures.

hmm, well it has never done that before...the most ever was like about 20%, but 100 is plain crazy...the temperature soars through the roof, also the game then crashes anyway, so i cant see how this is working, if it crashes at start up... and yes did retry several times, but at the chance of blowing a £400 cpu, think i've finished trying any more...anyone got any actual help please rather than throwing "read the first post".

thanx...sam

Sorry if this been asked before, I did look trough the first few pages, but going trough 300 of them, it's a bit much :P

I noticed in the download bit there's both 64 and 32 bit. Is this related to what version ksp you use? if you run 64bit ksp then get the 64bit download? Also, can you run 64bit ksp the first time(s) to get the textures compressed so it can use more RAM, and then when its done run 32 bit version to play the game, or does it then ahve to run the entire process again for 32bit version?

Sorry if this been asked before, I did look trough the first few pages, but going trough 300 of them, it's a bit much :P

I noticed in the download bit there's both 64 and 32 bit. Is this related to what version ksp you use? if you run 64bit ksp then get the 64bit download? Also, can you run 64bit ksp the first time(s) to get the textures compressed so it can use more RAM, and then when its done run 32 bit version to play the game, or does it then ahve to run the entire process again for 32bit version?

exactly my question with a further issue-

i've tried deleting the cache folder and rebuilding, and making sure the mod is updated to newest version. the mod Station Science has a file `StationScience/Parts/StnSciZoo/zoo-texture.tga` which keeps causing my loads to crash. I'm barely running any mods, it just hangs. Total cache folder under 500 mb .. Any ideas? Before this issue, it was in `TextureReplacer` - since these are near the end of my mod list, is it possible that ATM is out of space to load? ksp.exe taking ~2.7gb

edit: nevermind, then. i deleted the entire cache (not just the file) and re-built. it took about 2 minutes to cache that one file (where the rest take 5-10 sec) but it's working.

Edited by qwiso

I'm not sure if this is specifically an ATM issue, or a general KSP quirk; however if there is an empty .cfg file anywhere in GameData, ATM will attempt to rebuild the cache using a lot more memory than usual, to the extent it will CTD with the usual out of memory symptom. Once this happens, restarting KSP and ATM will load the converted textures and then resume conversion where it left off, but quickly exhaust the memory again (and again, repeatedly). Removing the empty .cfg then causes ATM to rebuild the texture cache, but with normal memory usage and most importantly, without crashing. Source: I accidentally an empty .cfg file.

Also, unless there is a minimal .cfg for each mod in the texture configs, ATM seems to skip the mod entirely. Further, if the texture config doesn't include overrides for UI textures (icons, etc.), then it will apply the global settings to those files. (Blurry toolbar/AppLauncher icons, etc.) Source: After the first 0.90 ATM compressed everything, I noticed memory usage was higher than I expected and then I realized I hadn't copied my texture configs over from 0.25.

Windows 7 Pro x64, KSP 0.90 (32-bit), ATM 4-X Aggressive (x86), no KSP.exe switches (i.e. DX9) and a lot of mods.

I must admit, this mod is one of the best mods I've ever used. This new version is really amazing. Before installing, KSP took about 15 minutes to load. The first load with the mod took forever, but now it only takes about 5 minutes! So thanks to rbray and the rest of the team, and keep up the good work!

I'm not sure if this is specifically an ATM issue, or a general KSP quirk; however if there is an empty .cfg file anywhere in GameData, ATM will attempt to rebuild the cache using a lot more memory than usual, to the extent it will CTD with the usual out of memory symptom. Once this happens, restarting KSP and ATM will load the converted textures and then resume conversion where it left off, but quickly exhaust the memory again (and again, repeatedly). Removing the empty .cfg then causes ATM to rebuild the texture cache, but with normal memory usage and most importantly, without crashing. Source: I accidentally an empty .cfg file.

Also, unless there is a minimal .cfg for each mod in the texture configs, ATM seems to skip the mod entirely. Further, if the texture config doesn't include overrides for UI textures (icons, etc.), then it will apply the global settings to those files. (Blurry toolbar/AppLauncher icons, etc.) Source: After the first 0.90 ATM compressed everything, I noticed memory usage was higher than I expected and then I realized I hadn't copied my texture configs over from 0.25.

Windows 7 Pro x64, KSP 0.90 (32-bit), ATM 4-X Aggressive (x86), no KSP.exe switches (i.e. DX9) and a lot of mods.

Interesting... I have no idea why that might happen. This may be a bug with KSP.

hmm, well it has never done that before...the most ever was like about 20%, but 100 is plain crazy...the temperature soars through the roof, also the game then crashes anyway, so i cant see how this is working, if it crashes at start up... and yes did retry several times, but at the chance of blowing a £400 cpu, think i've finished trying any more...anyone got any actual help please rather than throwing "read the first post".

thanx...sam

ATM is working as intended.

Sarbian (who wrote the multithreaded portion of ATM) implemented it such that all available cores/hyperthreads are utilized to their full potential to try and get the caching done as soon as possible. If your computer is overheating, I'd suggest that you look into your thermal design. I assume you built your rig? You need to look at the specs for the processor, get the thermal wattage at full power, and use that as the basis for your cooling design. Your heatsink is probably undersized if you are worried about killing your CPU.

Also note: CPUs have thermal protection in them. They will automatically shutdown once they cross a certain threshold. You are very unlikely to blow it unless you are running without any sort of thermal mitigarion attached.

thanx...sam

Yes, it seems in this case your difficulties are hardware related and not due to ATM. When I encode video my processor will run at 100% for 4hrs straight, never missing a beat. Also, the reason rbray kept indicating his first post is that it explains the first run through will potentially take a very long time. It also states that it may crash a couple times. By way of example; my first three or four loads crashed. The final one took about 1.5 hours. If you just leave it alone, barring any hardware issues you may have, ATM WILL work, I promise you.