[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

I'm really sorry for being a bother. I'm still getting the heap sections error with the 4.4 beta, with WAIT = TRUE added to the cfg as you requested. I didn't know what DBG did but it was commented out originally--I tried that with DBG commented-out and not, but no difference.

My output_log.cfg is here.

Win7 x86, Athlon II X2 215, 4 Gb RAM, KSP 0.90.0

Please don't ignore me. I'm trying hard to give you what you're asking for, but the thought of being treated like I don't exist is really messing with my head. :(

Hmmm... I'm afraid I may not be able to help then... I assume that the 32-bit version of windows doesn't like me allocating the large buffer array to manage the textures (a worst-case scenario of a 8k*8K RGBA32 texture with mipmaps)

Missing the configs?

Then what am I doing wrong and how to get those?

I just downloaded the latest official release file a few days ago and put it in the game as any other mod. Do I need to get anything else after this?

Also the textures look compressed and blurry visually.

How to get the best possible efficiency from the mod and how to know what to expect with the known amount of mods?

Thank you.

I noticed something. I looked through config files and found out different configs have different... patterns? Some of them have strings like '...textures/' and others are '...textures/.'

And these ones with the dot at the end work properly. Adding a dot in the SCANsat.cfg and deleting cache folder made icons stop being blurry.

Hmmm... I'm afraid I may not be able to help then... I assume that the 32-bit version of windows doesn't like me allocating the large buffer array to manage the textures (a worst-case scenario of a 8k*8K RGBA32 texture with mipmaps)

Okay. Thank you for responding, I feel better now. 4.2 still works for me so I'll keep using that for the time being.

I have just checked in my installation and the mod folder seems to be complete and fine.

Everything from the screenshot a couple of pages ago is present. Also I have downloaded the release again and all the contents seem to be the same as the folder that was installed.

Right a few minutes ago I had a game crash with out of memory thing as usual with the mod removed before that while constructing a first craft in a new save with only installed part mod being the procedural wings. This was the installation where the mod was present before but it was absent at the time of the crash so that makes me think that it is something related to the game itself. Also that the other known memory tweaks do not work well. And a memory crash with one small part mod is obviously something that should not happen at all.

Also the no texture bug does happen with that described installation both with the mod and without it.

Where else can I try to ask about that issue in case it is not related to any particular mod as something is clearly wrong and I do not know what to do?

Sashan

Your problem also looks very much like running way too close to the memory upper limit.

Please help!

Thank you.

Crash log:

http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog

Edited by Kitspace

@sashan: I can't confirm if ATM is causing it, but it definitely sounds like an ATM-related issue.

About the crashes, I noticed I was having lots of them too, pretty often. ATM definitely saves RAM at the game launch, but looks like it's doing the opposite if you keep the game open for too long. I noticed the game using 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 GBs of RAM just a few before crashing.

I removed the mod, and the crashes have stopped completely. The game won't use more than 3.5GB RAM now.

It was a really good suggestion. Once it gets out of beta, your name will go into the credits & whatnot :)

You're too kind :) I'm glad I could help -- the duplicate textures made a bad problem worse for many users. Every little bit helps.

"Hashed texture re-use"?

Were/are there duplicate textures?

In a stock install there are about 150 MB of duplicate assets on disk. Removing these duplicate assets saves about 60MB of RAM for stock.

@Kowgan - KSP x86 gets unstable above 3.2GB, and .90 pushed the stock game pretty close to that edge. The no texture bug is actually a stock issue when it deals with a certain format(TGA I think). Even the stock game eats over 2gb just on load.

@Kitspace - According to the log, you were in SPH editor, and according to your log, Pwings end piece and FAR are conflicting, and your log is filled with this entry set(from line 11200 onwards):

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Proceduralwing2EndPiece: Calc Aero values

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Gather Children

FAR

FAR Done

This calculation block was run approximately 55,000 times, until you ran out of memory and crashed.

@sashan: I can't confirm if ATM is causing it, but it definitely sounds like an ATM-related issue.

About the crashes, I noticed I was having lots of them too, pretty often. ATM definitely saves RAM at the game launch, but looks like it's doing the opposite if you keep the game open for too long. I noticed the game using 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 GBs of RAM just a few before crashing.

I removed the mod, and the crashes have stopped completely. The game won't use more than 3.5GB RAM now.

I've noticed what looks like a memory leak too. At launch, KSP 0.90 stock run at half-res with ATM Aggressive consumes roughly 1.5GB on my machine. That's enough where I can run stock KSP with only 2GB of system memory*. But over the course of about an hour's worth of game play, that number creeps ever upward until it CTDs.

I'm sure that's not ATM's doing though. At least it would be odd if it were.

*All I have, can't afford to upgrade.

@Kowgan - KSP x86 gets unstable above 3.2GB, and .90 pushed the stock game pretty close to that edge. The no texture bug is actually a stock issue when it deals with a certain format(TGA I think). Even the stock game eats over 2gb just on load.

So that's why the MK3 cargo bays are missing textures in .90, without any mods.

I've noticed what looks like a memory leak too. At launch, KSP 0.90 stock run at half-res with ATM Aggressive consumes roughly 1.5GB on my machine. That's enough where I can run stock KSP with only 2GB of system memory*. But over the course of about an hour's worth of game play, that number creeps ever upward until it CTDs.

I'm sure that's not ATM's doing though. At least it would be odd if it were.

*All I have, can't afford to upgrade.

I can't imagine any reason why ATM would induce a memory leak. I know stock KSP seems to accumulate memory over time though.

- - - Updated - - -

Would ATM compress a texture for a skybox in texture replacer, and if it does, can I stop it? Like put it on a whitelist?

There is no config entry for texture replacer, so not likely.

Say, is there any way to make make KSP use VRAM under DirectX?

The game seems to consistently crash with empty VRAM regardless of what the make_not_readable flag is set to.

With OpenGL forced the game actually uses VRAM like it should but that comes with it's own baggage of issues like no shadows, etc.

Say, is there any way to make make KSP use VRAM under DirectX?

The game seems to consistently crash with empty VRAM regardless of what the make_not_readable flag is set to.

With OpenGL forced the game actually uses VRAM like it should but that comes with it's own baggage of issues like no shadows, etc.

You can try forcing DirectX 11. That does it on my machine. Unfortunately, Unity doesn't seem to manage the VRAM so it tries to stuff everything in there. Great if you've 4GB of VRAM, not so great if you've only got 1GB. :/

The command line option is -force-d3d11.

Would ATM compress a texture for a skybox in texture replacer, and if it does, can I stop it? Like put it on a whitelist?

Edit GameData/TextureReplacer/ATM.cfg. Add something like

TextureReplacer/Default/GalaxyTex_*
{
compress = false
}

to OVERRIDES.

Okay guys, I have no idea how to navigate GitHub and its starting to make me a little ticked off... Can someone give me the link to get this and the enhanced visual atmoshpheres mod for 0.25 and NOT 0.90?

Please and thank you with a cherry.

And I'm still looking for feedback on the beta: (no need to update cache)

https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases/tag/4-4Beta

I have been using it for a day or two, but I was using it without problems up till then so.... The only problem I have had with the beta ATM was a load freeze whenever ATM went to cache the coolrockets directory "cryo-2m". It may be a coolrockets issue, but it is one that seems to occur in its interactions with ATM.

note: for anyone who cares, none of the coolrockets config entries referenced the #2 cryo or ice directories as far as I could see so I deleted them and the issue went away and ATM seems to cache the other two directories just fine.