[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Okay guys, I have no idea how to navigate GitHub and its starting to make me a little ticked off... Can someone give me the link to get this and the enhanced visual atmoshpheres mod for 0.25 and NOT 0.90?

Please and thank you with a cherry.

It is confusing until you get used to it.

For ATM you want 4-2 for KSP 0.25: https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases

For EVE, it looks like you want 7-4 (I don't use this mod personally so I'm not familiar with it): https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases

It is confusing until you get used to it.

For ATM you want 4-2 for KSP 0.25: https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases

For EVE, it looks like you want 7-4 (I don't use this mod personally so I'm not familiar with it): https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases

Thank you so much!

You can try forcing DirectX 11. That does it on my machine. Unfortunately, Unity doesn't seem to manage the VRAM so it tries to stuff everything in there. Great if you've 4GB of VRAM, not so great if you've only got 1GB. :/

The command line option is -force-d3d11.

Sadly. running the game with the -force-d3d11 flag causes even more visual glitches than OGL. And yes, the game manages to flood all of my 3GB of VRAM and then almost clog up the system RAM too.

The visual glitches can be averted by using -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded instead but that causes the game to not utilize VRAM again (why would that ever happen? I'm at a bit of a loss here).

Not to mention DX11 cuts severely into the framerate.

Sadly. running the game with the -force-d3d11 flag causes even more visual glitches than OGL. And yes, the game manages to flood all of my 3GB of VRAM and then almost clog up the system RAM too.

The visual glitches can be averted by using -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded instead but that causes the game to not utilize VRAM again (why would that ever happen? I'm at a bit of a loss here).

Not to mention DX11 cuts severely into the framerate.

Hey, at least it runs with DX11 on your machine. :)

I am so hoping Unity 5 is going to solve a lot of these persistent problems with KSP. Unfortunately, who knows when that's ever going to be released?

And I'm still looking for feedback on the beta: (no need to update cache)

https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases/tag/4-4Beta

Sadly, I'm still seeing the "too many heap sections" CTD on load with WAIT = TRUE. It's weird too, because if I delete ATM's texture cache, it'll take a half hour to generate the cache, but the game will run fine (for about an hour). However, the next time I start KSP, it crashes about 1/4 of the way through loading the textures.

Windows Vista Business 32 bit

2 GB system memory

ATM Aggressive 4-4 Beta

WAIT = TRUE

KSP set to half-res textures

Ye freshe log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/56f339tinld1g82/output_log.txt

Log with DBG = TRUE if that gives you more clues: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7il09as22e05im/output_log%20with%20dbg%20true.txt

Edited by lincourtl

Just thought I'd drop in to say the beta you were asking feedback on works amazingly well so far. Around a 400MB reduction on RAM use from what I've seen so far. That's compared to the previous version which did great as is. Using the aggressive x86. Thank you for making this. First time I've posted here I think...

And I'm still looking for feedback on the beta: (no need to update cache)

https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases/tag/4-4Beta

I'm using the new beta release, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for?

My memory usage seems to be about the same as before, though I am using a very heavily modded copy of KSP with ATM aggressive (obviously :P) and -force-opengl

Has anyone else encoutered a problem where ATM compresses your toolbar icons to something awful and nearly unreadable?

i'm not entirely sure what causes it and would like to fix it indeed, it began mostlikely after installing texture replacer, E.V.E. and astronomers interstellar V2.

Hi, I'm really super new. I noticed when I have KSP running I can hardly watch a youtube video on 1080p so I decided to download this (aggressive, I would like mods in the future). Except I'm also new to any type of plug-ins or mods to pc games. Where or what exactly do I do once I've uncompressed the downloaded file?

Has anyone else encoutered a problem where ATM compresses your toolbar icons to something awful and nearly unreadable?

i'm not entirely sure what causes it and would like to fix it indeed, it began mostlikely after installing texture replacer, E.V.E. and astronomers interstellar V2.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-90-Release-4-3-Dec-16-2014-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM!/page310?p=1624163#post1624163

Sadly, I'm still seeing the "too many heap sections" CTD on load with WAIT = TRUE. It's weird too, because if I delete ATM's texture cache, it'll take a half hour to generate the cache, but the game will run fine (for about an hour). However, the next time I start KSP, it crashes about 1/4 of the way through loading the textures.

Windows Vista Business 32 bit

2 GB system memory

ATM Aggressive 4-4 Beta

WAIT = TRUE

KSP set to half-res textures

Ye freshe log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/56f339tinld1g82/output_log.txt

Log with DBG = TRUE if that gives you more clues: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7il09as22e05im/output_log%20with%20dbg%20true.txt

Huh. Those lines about trying to allocate over 4GB of memory is a bit odd. Nothing should be doing that in KSP should it?

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocation
Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 4194304B with 4 alignment.
MemoryLabel: STL Allocation happend at: Line:74 in Memory overview

So it looks like this is a win-32 issue (possibly with mono/unity runtime), and I don't think I can properly resolve it.

So it looks like this is a win-32 issue (possibly with mono/unity runtime), and I don't think I can properly resolve it.

Probably. It's odd it's able to get through loading everything the first time when it's also doing the hard work of crunching the textures, but fails part way through thereafter when all it has to do is load them? Yeah, yeah. Unity and Mono. It's best not to wonder at these sorts of things.

Oh well. Back to Orbiter 2010 for me then. Thanks again for all your hard work rbray89.

Vista wasnt a particularly good operating system moving to windows 7 may resolve a lot of the problems your having

Maybe, but it's what I have. And given the state of my affairs, it may be what I have for a long, long time to come.

Hello

Thanks for this great mod rbray.

I´m using ATM4.3 x86 aggressive and had some ugly looking and a black icon with my mods installed.

So I looked into it and corrected some ATM configs to prevend this. As addition there are also some new configs. Feel free to put them into your game to have nice looking icons again (the black ones are gone too).

corrected override path

SCANsat.cfg

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = SCANsat
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
SCANsat/Icons/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

added override

ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.cfg

{
folder = ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Textures/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

new

ContractManager.cfg

{
folder = ContractManager
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
ContractManager/Textures/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

new

Mechjeb2.cfg

{
folder = MechJeb2
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
MechJeb2/Icons/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

new

TACLifesupport.cfg

{
folder = ThunderAerospace
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupport/Textures/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

new

TACFuelbalancer.cfg

{
folder = TacFuelBalancer
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
TacFuelBalancer/Textures/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

new

Stagerecovery.cfg

{
folder = StageRecovery
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
StageRecovery/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

new

EnhancedNavball.cfg

{
folder = EnhancedNavBall
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
EnhancedNavBall/Resources/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

Edited by Dante Montana

Is anyone else having issues with the Aggressive x64 version messing up the Kerbal Engineer windows and HUD? It started after moving to the Aggressive version, but I tried making a config to disable it for the Engineer folder and I'm still having the problem. It's like the windows are too small for the text or something.

All the compressed textures are loaded in the GPU VRAM instead of the normal RAM, right? The 3GB VRAM of my 7970 are full since i added just Astronomers Interstellar Pack and some stuff for Texturereplacer. I have added a lot of other mods since then and im wondering about a few things:

Why is my VRAM full when my textureCache folder is only 1,25GB? Are those Textures somehow decompressed when they are loaded in the VRAM?

Afaik the full VRAM causes some stuff to be stored in the normal RAM, where can i see how much is in the normal RAM? It seems that it doesnt count into the 3,2GB limit of KSPx32 (which is a good thing)...

BTW: im using the Basic 4.3 and opengl.

Edit: What happens when i also use the DDS loader and convert all the Textrues to DDS? Will i save even more RAM or is only one of those mods viable at a time since they conflict with each other?

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 8GB RAM

KSP 0.90.0

Log - http://sharetext.org/LqxR

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find recent information, I have been trying to run ATM on my PlanetFactory folder inside Gamedata.

I understand ATM is based inside it's own folder in GameData now, as previous information related to a release in the past that had the folder inside BoulderCo. At some point there was support for compressing the textures in the PlanetFactory folder but this seems to have been removed as there was no PlanetFactory.cfg in the ATM\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs folder. I created one of my own with just the simple flag to enable and point to the PlanetFactory folder.

I have ATM in it's own folder in GameData, with a cfg I created for PF inside the configs folder. I can see it has cached textures from some of but not all of my other mods, the ones with cfgs.

This hasn't created cache for PlanetFactory despite having created a cfg for the same name and all names are exactly the same in case and type, and I'm still getting crashes when I try to load these planets I'm playing with. All the assets are typical and or derivations of the given examples provided in a number of planet packs. I have tested them in groups to confirm it's a matter of memory volume, it just can't handle all at once, but maybe it could if this would work. Does anyone know what the status of this is for use on PF?

Edited by Ker Man