[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

It will not take longer, because most likely all of the mods that you have are using DDS textures - so ATM is running, but not compressing anything. And the compressing part is why the game loads slow the first time with ATM - it is creating the compressed textures.

Well, for now I'm only using those two mods, and think they already use dds. As I said, I'm adding the mods one by one and certainly I have mods that will be compressed by ATM. I just thought that even the stock KSP would take a bit longer to load the first time.

But I'm noticing a definite speedup using ATM. I'm running 1.0.4 virtually unmodded (the only mods I'm using are ATM and Navyfish's docking alignment utility). But perhaps my case is unusual: I'm running 64 bit under linux and my computer is so old and slow that it is really barely able to run KSP. With ATM I wouldn't say that KSP is running fast, but it is at least less painfully slow than it is without it.

Well, that case is unusual, yes - nearly all ATM use was 32-bit Windows users trying to cram a lot of mods in. It might be useful to install Physical Time Ratio Viewer and try to quantify the speedup.

could you explain how you made the textures smaller for me please and give names of needed tools (if any are neccessary), that would be really cool

There's a plugin called Nvidia Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop.

It enables Photoshop to open and edit DDS files directly.

On opening it will ask how to open:

gRJyIok.jpg

Then after resizing the image on save it will open another window:

8uXTkNU.jpg

For resizing use sizes 256, 512 or 1024, other numbers are bad. Don't change the DXT format, it usually chooses the best depending on channels present. Change "MIP Map Filtering" to Mitchell and tick "Generate MIP Maps".

Use Total Commander, TreeSize or other similar software to detect big folders.

AJvSGvP.png

Small textures are not so good for close up screenshots, but perfect for everything else.

While writing this I noticed that Kerbal Engineer has oversized non DDS textures for two tiny parts. Fixed :)

Edited by Enceos

I use your mod a lot, almost always, unless I'm stock. Thanks for the great mod. :)

I also have configs in my sig for fixing toolbar icons. I'm slowly building it up.

A small typo:

When you wrote what Aggressive does, you accidentally a typo. Just so you know, no mean to be rude. :)

The text: (obviously, typo in bold)

"Rresizes all textures to 1/2 size, with a max of 256x256 for normal maps."

EDIT: I have discovered that this mod has little effect on DDS textures by reading the previous posts here. I like your mod, but without a way to scale DDS textures that many of the mods have switched to using. I hope to see a fix for this, and I appreciate the work you've done to get here. However, this is quite a roadblock in the mod's usefulness and I'd really like to see it fixed.

Good day :)

Edited by Naten

Troll away, sir.

This mod is the troll... It wasted my time and it's wasting the time of others since it doesn't work and hasn't been updated in quite some time to compress DDS textures, which almost all of the textures in KSP are. So I downloaded it, tried it out and all it did was blur my toolbar icons. Then I come to this thread to see that it's basically useless? And I'm the troll for saying it should be removed from ckan so other people don't download it by mistake? Sure.

Edited by leptoon

This mod is the troll... It wasted my time and it's wasting the time of others since it doesn't work and hasn't been updated in quite some time to compress DDS textures, which almost all of the textures in KSP are. So I downloaded it, tried it out and all it did was blur my toolbar icons. Then I come to this thread to see that it's basically useless? And I'm the troll for saying it should be removed from ckan so other people don't download it by mistake? Sure.

The blurry toolbar icons are those who are converted to dds texture, i use a dds converter and have set it that it won't convert textures to dds when they are smaller than 64x64.

The blurry toolbar icons are those who are converted to dds texture, i use a dds converter and have set it that it won't convert textures to dds when they are smaller than 64x64.

I guess I'll try using a DDS converter/compressor/conveyer/combobulator.

Currently I am installing this mod, and then it either will not let the game load up, or the Textures break for BDArmoury. (Just going full white) Does anyone know a solution I can use?

If you are running 1.0.4, you don't need it. Textures have been converted to DDS and ATM doesn't do anything with DDS.

I'm trying the aggressive settings instead of the normal settings for KSP (normal works, but I wanna see if there's an even greater reduction with aggressive), and I am quite glad I have an 8 core/16 thread CPU while it rebuilds the cache.

I assume this is a ATM problem so I'll report it here.

I'm getting some icon textures blurred for the blizzy's tool bar, the strange part is that it's not all of them but just part of them. Also some icons for the stock tool bar is completely missing.

I've tried dumping the ATM cache and letting it redo the texture compressing, but the result was the same so I'm confused what exactly is the issue.

btw I'm using the aggressive version of ATM.

I will post a screenshot to showcase what is going on. This is from the space center view.

v0pggla84ckw9lb6g.jpg

As you can see, some icons are sharp and crisp while some others are blurred.

I checked inside my gamedata folder and have confirmed the original icon textures are in there, and are also not blurry as you see them here.

It'd be great if anyone can give me an insight to what might be going wrong.