[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Is there any comparability issues with 1.0.5? I run a lot of parts mods that have always hogged RAM usage. I use the aggressive version 64 bit ( primary client is mac ).

I haven't noticed any problems. It still seems to do its thing for non-DDS textures.

For some reason this mod makes matters worse for me. Stock KSP without this mod consumes less memory than with it and mean increase in RAM consumption is the same therefore I can launch about 15-20 ships in Stock KSP and only 4-7 with that mod in any mode. Also for some reason KSP crashes when it reaches 1.7 GB of consumption no matter what. Fresh Stock KSP takes ~1 GB of RAM whereas with that mod it takes 1.2 GB already.
Any solutions?

I got a problem. mod that show RAM usage indicate that i have used 3920 MB, after each launch game crashed. When i Instal Active texture Managment basic i got a same problem. When i reduce texture quality in game settings to half, i have some reduce of memory usage: 3500 MB, but i lost few icons on mod buttons. where i got to look, to fix this?

• 4 weeks later...

Strange, my games uses 2.6 without ATM. I use ATM and it uses 3.0 GB. Needless to say it crashes after 15 mins of gameplay. I used this mod in the past and could easily remove 30 - 40% of the RAM usage, but now it seems to increase it?

What's going on

Just did some additional testing without any mods.

Base game: 1.80 Gb

Base game with ATM: 2.06 Gb

Base game with ATM removed again: 1.82 Gb

Conclusion: as far as I'm concerned there's something seriously wrong with this mod at this point

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2015 at 5:07 PM, AK von Bismarck said:

How do i fully uninstall this? Even when I uninstalled it from /Gamedata some textures are still pixelated. Also rastorpropmonitor does not function properly with it(basic) on. Thank you in advance.

I have this problem too, with aggressive. It's really frustrating as it seems to break RasterPropMonitor even after uninstalling. This is pretty serious - do I have to copy the whole directory out of Steam again and reinstall all my other mods? I don't want to break my save too.

@Hlothwig with the steam install go into your library right click on Kerbal space program select properties then local files tab and select verify integrity of game cache  this will check the game files, any that are changed will be downloaded instead of the whole game. I would also probably delete the JSI folder and download the latest version to see if that helps clear the issue up

@Virtualgenius I don't keep my modded installs in my Steam directory, I keep them on my desktop for easy access. I'll try what you're suggesting, but it will take some doing.

It seems like only the Mk1 Cockpit is affected by the original issue - RPM worked fine in the Mk1 Command Pod and the Probe Control Room. I've also updated RPM since my first post, and the issue is still the same.

EDIT: So I copied all my mods into a new directory that I copied out of Steam. Not only does the RPM for the Mk1 Cockpit still not work, but the issue I installed ActiveTextureManagement to fix - game crashing when returning to space center - is back.

Edit2: In retrospect this seems to indicate the issue has nothing to do with ActiveTextureManagement, so ignore me.

Edited by Hlothwig
New Info

We seriously need an update of this mod!!

I'm now finally trying to convert from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 and now I come to find there's a reported serious issue with this. I'm pretty sure my mod set won't work without this so I hope it gets fixed.

If it doesn't I'll have to wait again for KSP 1.1 to come.

Seems like ATM is ignoring saved configs. Once i change IRRework config to not be affected by ATM, it works - until i restart the game. AFter i restart it, ATM ignores saved config and still turns the parts into black smudge. I do not know what to do anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Speedster159  No...No need for ATM with B9 any more... blowfish and the others have converted the textures to .dds in the B9 Community Fix...

Easy way to tell if ATM MIGHT still be useful for a mod, is to look in a couple of the mod's part folders... if there are any .dds files, ATM is NOT needed...

6 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@Speedster159  No...No need for ATM with B9 any more... blowfish and the others have converted the textures to .dds in the B9 Community Fix...

Easy way to tell if ATM MIGHT still be useful for a mod, is to look in a couple of the mod's part folders... if there are any .dds files, ATM is NOT needed...

There's a B9 Community Fix? o.0 Is this similar to the KW one, and why is it not listed on CKAN?

• 2 weeks later...

I setup linux 64 bit, the game would not launch.   I installed this and let it do its thing, now it will launch fine.   Two problems, it ate the icon for Connected Living Space, now just a pink square, and it butchered the textures for Space Y Expanded, most all they are pink.  Any way to prevent this?  

• 2 weeks later...

some technical questions...

1)  it is my understanding that this mod will on load interrupt a texture load  check to see if it needs compressing and/or resizing.  if not it does nothing.  if it does need one or both of these it performs the change and saves this new texture to the "cache" directory for the mod.  then in the future it will pull this cached texture directly thus the speed increase after the first run.

2) I am also to understand that KSP will load any texture file it finds under the game data folder even if it is not actively in use by a mod.  so how does ATM prevent the loading of the original texture after it has made the cached copy. 

3) if I uninstall a mod how does ATM react?  the mod is no longer loading so ATM will never know about it but it will still have all the converted texture files saved in the cache taking up space?  and will KSP keep trying to load this cached copy as it is a texture file that resides in the gamedata folder as per item 2?

4)  I assume after 1.1 this mod will still be maintained as everybody will not have piles of ram, and thus the mod will still serve a purpose?