[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Well I can't give any numbers, but one of the heavally mod installs I use would crash about every second or third luanch even without the Cloud Mod installed.

Now with the extra Cloud Mod and new dil file installed it hasn't crashed at all so far even after about nine luanch attempts.

awesome work! this and his cloud mod should be stock. maybe there is one more KSP dev soon? :D

Haha... This is a hobby. Already have a job that I love :) Though, I license all my work as MIT for a reason if anyone from SQUAD is reading this.

I admit I was skeptical of yet another texture reducing mod. But after reading all the positive reactions I too gave it a try. I don't have exact numbers but it reduced the memory load by roughly 10-20%.

I haven't noticed any significant increase in load times. And even if it took a few seconds longer to load I'll gladly pay that price in order to have a smoother running game. You've got my vote to get this plugin stock.

I admit I was skeptical of yet another texture reducing mod. But after reading all the positive reactions I too gave it a try. I don't have exact numbers but it reduced the memory load by roughly 10-20%.

I haven't noticed any significant increase in load times. And even if it took a few seconds longer to load I'll gladly pay that price in order to have a smoother running game. You've got my vote to get this plugin stock.

Well, this is basically a texture override. I don't think it should necessarily be stock, but I wouldn't mind it being an option in settings to compress the textures.

I too am down a whole gigabyte. Not to worry though, it'll be filled soon enough :D

This. B9 together with NP and KW stretched the game before, now I can also add AEIS KSPI and NFP without problems (on top of a ton of other stuff, from 50mb kerbin textures to clouds and city lights of course).

I'm... I'm just gonna sit here, looking at this readout saying KSP.exe is only using 1.4 gigabytes, and thinking back to the days it used to eat up 2.2 gigabytes on nearly minimal settings.

That is 36% less. It's simply ridiculous how awesome this little plugin, this single DLL is!

I seriously don't mind having to wait a minute more to launch KSP.

This mod is absolutely 12 out of 10, congratulations on being one of the best modders on the forum!

Just to try this out, i installed a bunch of parts mods. Got 1253 unique parts...Went from 3.0GB to 2.4GB...Thats 20%!!...600MB...add that to the 750MB I saved from running a dual-boot Win7 KSP install, plus the 250MB I cut from deleteing Squad IVAs, plus the other texture reduction packs for the BIG mods, and thats almost 2GB (YES, TWO GIGABYTE!! savings) to fit even MORE mods!! :D

THANK YOU!!

Just to try this out, i installed a bunch of parts mods. Got 1253 unique parts...Went from 3.0GB to 2.4GB...Thats 20%!!...600MB...add that to the 750MB I saved from running a dual-boot Win7 KSP install, plus the 250MB I cut from deleteing Squad IVAs, plus the other texture reduction packs for the BIG mods, and thats almost 2GB (YES, TWO GIGABYTE!! savings) to fit even MORE mods!! :D

THANK YOU!!

1253 unnique parts! WOW! i must ask, what mods do you use? i envy you and your modding!

SWEET. I have no idea how much this will help me because I don't use a lot of part mods, but any MB savings can only help, right?

If you don't experience RAM related crashes and didn't have to downscale any textures yet to stay within the memory limit, there's absolutely zero upside to using this mod. To the contrary, you'll only experience a somewhat longer initial startup time and maybe lose some detail quality on texture.

If you don't experience RAM related crashes and didn't have to downscale any textures yet to stay within the memory limit, there's absolutely zero upside to using this mod. To the contrary, you'll only experience a somewhat longer initial startup time and maybe lose some detail quality on texture.

Not true actually... according to unity: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Texture2D.Compress.html

"Compressed textures use less graphics memory and are faster to render." : So you can also get a small FPS boost depending on what textures are compressed.

I'm still crashing with this mod. Doesn't seem to do anything. I have B9, KW and the City Lights mod, uncompressed. Game hits 3.5GB and then crashes. I could run the same mods minus City Lights if I used the compressed textures. No point in compressing a compressed lower quality texture.

Ok seems like if I run B9 with uncompressed textures, the game loads to maybe 30-40% and blows up after hitting 3.5GB. Using the B9 reduced textures included in the pack, game loads and sits around 2.5GB of usage at the loading screen. Definitely a substantial amount, but still wondering why B9 alone seems to make the mod not to work. I did notice when it's not working the game loads fairly quickly, before dying.

Not true actually... according to unity: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Texture2D.Compress.html

"Compressed textures use less graphics memory and are faster to render." : So you can also get a small FPS boost depending on what textures are compressed.

Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't this also allow the GC more memory to work with? As in less GC pauses because it has more memory to work with.

Excellent work. Memory usage went down from 3.3GB to 2.5GB, that´s a reduction of 800 MB!! No crashes since I installed this mod. Really good work.

Game feels a bit faster near stations too. Jeb highly approves to this mod ;)

THX

Laminator

Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't this also allow the GC more memory to work with? As in less GC pauses because it has more memory to work with.

I am not sure what you are referring to with "GC". Not likely though.

I am not sure what you are referring to with "GC". Not likely though.

GC means "Garbage Collector". In C# (and other garbage-collected languages), when a memory allocation is triggered and there's not enough memory, the garbage collector will scan through all objects, marking any that are no longer referenced. At the end, all marked allocations are freed and then new allocations can continue. The GC is responsible for all the little glips and blips and stutters that occur in KSP -- each one of those is a fraction-of-a-second pause while the GC cleans things up.

Ok seems like if I run B9 with uncompressed textures, the game loads to maybe 30-40% and blows up after hitting 3.5GB. Using the B9 reduced textures included in the pack, game loads and sits around 2.5GB of usage at the loading screen. Definitely a substantial amount, but still wondering why B9 alone seems to make the mod not to work. I did notice when it's not working the game loads fairly quickly, before dying.

The game has to be able to load in the first place unfortunately, I can't compress the textures as they are loading.