[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Interesting, then I see no difference, I use the 64 bit version too and my VRAM wents still full till 98% (of 2048 MB) and the system ram is also very high. And I can't see any performance boost in any, that was the only reason I wanted to try this.

But I will give it a second shot and try to see if there will something change if I use it or not.

I definitely got faster switching betveen map and camera in space near Kerbin. I use Universe Replacer with realistic hires skybox and 47mb Kerbin texture, can't remember exactly where I got it, and kerbin Clouds and Lights.

Interesting, then I see no difference, I use the 64 bit version too and my VRAM wents still full till 98% (of 2048 MB) and the system ram is also very high. And I can't see any performance boost in any, that was the only reason I wanted to try this.

But I will give it a second shot and try to see if there will something change if I use it or not.

Just did some checks: without - virt:8296m, res:6244m; with plugin - virt:8012m, res:5650m. So definitelly worked for me. Dunno how to see vmem values with Nvidia blob.

This actually works really well, was skeptical on how much it would actually save me. 2,935 mb of ram without and 2,400 mb of ram with at game startup, Saves me much more when I actually get to building stuff as well \o/. Thank you! Although it does seem to make my little kerbal pod window mess up abit :\.

Awesome! I was 2.57GB before and 2.096GB after with 20ish mods. Down to 1.78GB after Squad Reduction Pack. Back up to only 2.19GB after adding back B9 and a couple others, the list now stands at Actions On The Fly, AviationLights, B9, CityLights & Clouds, DE, EL, FAR, MapSat, KAS, pFairings, KAC, Kethane, IR, MJ2, MCE, Spherical & Toroidal Tanks, Modular Fuels, RT2, TAC Balancer, TAC Life Support, Telemachus, KSPI, and WolfPack.

Yay! Thanks so much!

rbray, have you determined which texture format works best with this tool yet? I noticed some errors in the log when it was handling .tga's. But png's seem to work fine, and so does .dds.

There shouldn't be any issues with TGA. That is the format that all my textures are in for my other mod, and it runs without fault. What are the error messages you see?

rbray89 You are the man!

I have 29 items in my GameData folder, including B9, Kethane, KAS, RemoteTech, Infernal Robotics, FAR and DRE.

Memory usage without this plugin: 3640MB.

With this plugin: 1800MB.

That is a whopping 50% reduction of memory!!!!

Oh excuse me, the 1800MB was without B9.

With B9 its actually 2400MB, which makes it a still whopping 35% total reduction!

Edited by Lucchese

There shouldn't be any issues with TGA. That is the format that all my textures are in for my other mod, and it runs without fault. What are the error messages you see?

It was something to do with color mapping, I didn't save it -- I really should've. I'll get it to you tonight. :)

Glad to know it may just be me though.

Ok so I pulled 300k off my load up and running weight after going from half to full res...

yay

So now I need to fill up the ram again. I have B9, and KW as my parts heavy mods along with Kethane, extraplanetary, and KAS. Running remote 2 as my hard mode addon, but no mech jeb or such. Any suggestions for future addons? Oh yeah have universe replacer with all the planets and 7 different eva suits.

Thinking of a lifesupport addon and really like BOBcats stuff so thinking ECLSS, but not sure I want to spend that much time doing supply runs to my bases. Should prolly grab HOME tho.

Alacrity

Ok so I pulled 300k off my load up and running weight after going from half to full res...

yay

So now I need to fill up the ram again. I have B9, and KW as my parts heavy mods along with Kethane, extraplanetary, and KAS. Running remote 2 as my hard mode addon, but no mech jeb or such. Any suggestions for future addons? Oh yeah have universe replacer with all the planets and 7 different eva suits.

Thinking of a lifesupport addon and really like BOBcats stuff so thinking ECLSS, but not sure I want to spend that much time doing supply runs to my bases. Should prolly grab HOME tho.

Alacrity

Not to toot my own horn or anything, :P but my City Lights & Cloud mod is pretty easy on the eyes.

Well, color me impressed. I run B9 + some other mods (without the relevant debloaters) and went from 2.25Gig to 1.4Gig as reported in Task Manager. For this subpar rig that I'm running (3Gig RAM) that's a mighty big chunk of change. To be honest I was skeptical before, but, just wow. Thank you.

I've tested it again and took a closer look, it seems that something gets smaller, I can't say how much it is at all, but I guess something like a few 100 MB.

But I noticed that my game crashes in the loading screen sometimes, when I use Universe Replacer with this texture pack: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44135-0-22-Universe-Replacer-v4-0?p=772056&viewfull=1#post772056

In that case I have to remove the whole UR mod to get to the game again. I have no Idea why this just happens sometimes and not everytime.

But I noticed that my game crashes in the loading screen sometimes, when I use Universe Replacer with this texture pack: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...l=1#post772056

I do not think this plugin reduces textures on initial game load.

(I've had RAM go up to 3600MB on initial load, which is the total of memory used without the plugin.

In VAB or SPH the memory usage goes down to about 2400MB)

Edited by Lucchese

I kept getting the excuse that people didn't have room for my Cloud and City Lights mod.

I kept getting the excuse.

You kept getting an excuse, and then went out of your way to remove that excuse??? You, good sir, rock.

^5

Totally agree...see a problem (opportunity) and jump on it !

proving once again that rbray is one of the top modders !

Love this! Went from crashing while switching between ships every 2nd or 3rd time to no crashes in the last 3 hours!

In fact, It improved things so much I'm going to try adding another mod or two I've had my eye on, and see how they work. :sticktongue: Thanks.

Sir, you are a savior!

I got to the point where I've installed one too many mods... even after cleaning up unused parts and using reduced texture packs, I could only play KSP for 15 - 30mins before crashing...

I've then given up on KSP, would only come back if Unity supported 64bits on windows or someone could come up with some voodoo magic...

You, sir, are one voodoo magician! :D

Edit: in case you're a gal, read "ma'am" instead of "sir" :)