[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Thats superb commit.. Now i can try to install a gazillion mods. The first version was only saving around 400mb for me.

New release out. Introduces changes based off of sarbian's commit to compress textures as they are loaded. Should allow for even more content to be loaded into the game! Get it here: https://github.com/waka324/TextureCompressor/releases/tag/Release-1-1

Awesome. Installed twice as much mods as before, running now with 900 parts and only using 2.6 GB of memory much like before.

Wish they would improve the part performance so we can assemble larger bases, is the only thing really missing now :)

Hands down, a must-have mod. This reminds me of the old days, when game developers did amazing stuff with the miniscule memory constraints of 486 PCs through optimization rather than just going Kerbal and saying add moar power

Not to toot my own horn or anything, :P but my City Lights & Cloud mod is pretty easy on the eyes.

Now that is an understatement. Originally, I deleted several mods to use this. Once I saw clouds in the afternoon sky, and then from space......Now thanks to you, I have reloaded everything I deleted and added several more.

I was CTD about every third launch. Now I only crash after several hours if I attempt to revert, and if I stay with only one mission, well, I left a real time transfer to Duna going (MJ with auto warp off) while we went Christmas shopping. Still running when we got back hours later. (short warp and I was there.) Normally it would of CTD after only an hour or so.

Trying the new version now.....Hopefully I can add Lifesupport....

You rock.

I became inactive on this forum for the past year or so - don't get me wrong I dropped by, but I never logged in. Today I have come out of my way to log in and tell you that you deserve some serious awesomeness points for this! Safely reduced 600MB of RAM for me and got rid of my slideshow! You sir... are the baws!

Woohoo...This mod ROCKS!!...

My latest setup running this mod, and a couple needed texture packs, on my i5 6GB RAM laptop, is currently running 117 installed mods, (1382 parts!! :))...AND I'm not even running that on my dual-boot, streamilined KSP partition yet, AND have not trimmed out unneeded parts yet...Launched a simple rocket using the Leviathan launcher, and warped it into interstellar space at max warp, and KSP RAM maxed out at 3.04GB... YES!

So hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in even more mods after testing the current setup to make sure all the parts and plugins are actually working...

THANK YOU AGAIN, RBRAY!!!

using this mod with several other reduced texture packs.. now i can run B9, KWR, KAS, KSPX, KSPI, Kethane, SpaceShuttleEngines and several others without hitting the memory limit.

can't find parts in the VAB anymore because there are soo many now, but i love it :D

I also say thanks for this mod. I think I'm running around 900 parts right now, and I never crash due to memory loss. However, there's still some ay to my record of runnning 1600 parts in 0.20 - your mod is insanely helpful anyway. I think I'm going to install your Clouds and City Lights mod, even if it makes an Eve pinpoint landing impossible.

I think Laythe should give you more trouble on a cloudy day ... :wink:

Speaking of installing tons of mods - after using this plugin here, is there still much to be gained from installing the texture reduction mods for B9, Squad etc.?

I think Laythe should give you more trouble on a cloudy day ... :wink:

Speaking of installing tons of mods - after using this plugin here, is there still much to be gained from installing the texture reduction mods for B9, Squad etc.?

Yeah, you can still trim off a bit of memory using those texture packs. They aren't compressed yet as I recall.

SergeantBlueforce,

It has been my experience this mod gives you better texture quality and memory savings over using the menu texture reduction.

rbray89,

I have to say out of all the mods I have this one is the MOST IMPORTANT! I could not run my game with all the mods I want without this mod. Thank you for your effort on this mod.

This mod has saved me about 231 mb, so thanks!!

Edit: I was able to load many more mods thanks to this plugin and it still saved me 256 mb of ram. I tip my hat to you sir

Edited by team.leit
second try