[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

What are the trade-offs between running basic and half res setting in-game and running aggressive with full res setting in-game?

You should get better performance with "full res" settings in-game and using aggressive.

But overall lower texture quality? At least seems to be the case in b9 IVAs.

normal textures are reduced further, but textures in general should look the same or better compared to 1/2 game settings.

Yes, but there isn't anything specific in the config file for it last time I checked.

Correction: There is no config, but it IS still supported of course. You can play around and make your own config file for the KOSMOS pack. Check out the "textureCompressor.tcfg" file and it has lots of useful information about creating your own configs.

Incase you don't know, that file I mentioned is located here: "GameData\BoulderCo\textureCompressorConfigs"

Edited by bulletrhli

I'm sorry if this has been asked. But does running this mod at the basic level reduce the texture quality of the planets, moons, grass, the KW Rocketry pack, kethane etc?

Not really, no. Nothing touches planet textures. Shrinks normal maps a bit.

I'm sorry if this has been asked. But does running this mod at the basic level reduce the texture quality of the planets, moons, grass, the KW Rocketry pack, kethane etc?

As Rbray has stated just above, you will barely notice a difference in the visual quality of everything. If you use the aggressive pack, you'll notice it mainly on the grey fuel tanks because they look a little smoother and the edges slightly jagged but only if you really look. Switch to full res while using the aggressive version to make it even less noticeable. The basic version makes things prettier using mipmaps and such without effecting frame rate but at the cost of a bit more memory, but of course still a lot less than what you would have used without the ATM mod :)

Finally found the patience to run with the basic version - reverted to the classic one for a time as I had constant (what I perceived as at least) crashes. It seems to work for now! For a change I launched KSP with nothing else running and stopped watching youtube videos while it did its thing.

Not really, no. Nothing touches planet textures. Shrinks normal maps a bit.

Question: So every large file I put into TextureReplacer will be left untouched and devour more system memory than e.g. B9?

Second question: If I update, change, delete, add mods - what happens to the cached files? Especially if the mod updates its textures.

Finally found the patience to run with the basic version - reverted to the classic one for a time as I had constant (what I perceived as at least) crashes. It seems to work for now! For a change I launched KSP with nothing else running and stopped watching youtube videos while it did its thing.

Question: So every large file I put into TextureReplacer will be left untouched and devour more system memory than e.g. B9?

Second question: If I update, change, delete, add mods - what happens to the cached files? Especially if the mod updates its textures.

Depends. I don't have a config in place for TextureReplacer. I think it compresses all textures anyways. But my mod won't resize them unless told to by a config file.

Cached files will just sit there if not requested. Cached files are only loaded if the game tries to load the original files. I have a texture-modification detection mechanism in place, so that if a mod updates textures, so will the cache files.

Wanted to try out the new stable 2.15, does this one like older ones leave backup files in the KSP folder? Or is it like the old 1.1 and it just runs without changing or leaving stuff in the KSP folder?

Thanks rbray89.

It doesn't create backups, rather uses a caching mechanism that re-creates the texture in the new size/format in a png file that goes into the cache directory tree. That way, the mod can just be deleted without any problems, and everything will be as it was before the mod.

OK, sound nice. The last version I tried or tested out was your very first one that did the new compression. I guess you have changed a lot and improved a lot to this mod.

It doesn't create backups, rather uses a caching mechanism that re-creates the texture in the new size/format in a png file that goes into the cache directory tree. That way, the mod can just be deleted without any problems, and everything will be as it was before the mod.

OK, sound nice. The last version I tried or tested out was your very first one that did the new compression. I guess you have changed a lot and improved a lot to this mod.

Yeah, I learned a lot about what people expect of mods. Namely, not to touch files outside the mod folder.

Yeah, just in case if someone doesn't like it they can remove it and nothing is left over.

I don't use any real large Texture packs, I use batteries from KW Rocketry and of course a lot of little mods. I am always looking to save memory regardless.

Yeah, I learned a lot about what people expect of mods. Namely, not to touch files outside the mod folder.

Depends. I don't have a config in place for TextureReplacer. I think it compresses all textures anyways. But my mod won't resize them unless told to by a config file.

Cached files will just sit there if not requested. Cached files are only loaded if the game tries to load the original files. I have a texture-modification detection mechanism in place, so that if a mod updates textures, so will the cache files.

Ah, get it compressing /= resizing, of course. :)

Clever! Just have to make sure I delete the cache if I throw out major mods - although disk space is rather cheap ... :D

Edited by KerbMav

The aggressive version removes mipmaps and halves the texture size of the images.

Rbray, may I suggest a small leger on the OP giving quick details about the differences to reduce the amount of times we have to answer the same questions?

It removes the mipmaps? The description for aggressive seems to say the opposite so I'm kinda confused now. lol

I'll be working more on the GUI once my VE mod has volumetric clouds. I'm getting REALLY close.

Sounds promising, a mod-by-mod breakdown of where the savings are, and which mod deserves to be punched in the texels would be very handy.

Hey there,

i was hoping someone could maybe help me out here a little

It's about the "Uranium textures" not loading for different planets,

I've read somewhere here in the forums about a guy that had the same problem, had to make an exception to the texure compressor cfg. But i can't figure out how to actually do this, ive read the cfg included but am non the wiser.

If someone would send me in the right direction, i'd be much obliged (beware, i did NOT figure it out by reading the cfg, so please keep it simple :D)

This is about the Interstellar mod btw ..

And while i'm on the subject, is this mod the reason why rasterpropmonitor isnt showing anything on it's ... monitor

Edited by Masakakihara