[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Which explains why my KSP is running at 3 Gb RAM usage without any of the chunky part mods I usually have like B9 and KW Rocketry.

Since almost all mods converted to DDS now.

Yeah - I've not checked my exact RAM useage figures recently, but I hit mem limits a night or two back after a few hours playtime, so when we get DDS resizing through this it'll be real nice.

Yeah - I've not checked my exact RAM useage figures recently, but I hit mem limits a night or two back after a few hours playtime, so when we get DDS resizing through this it'll be real nice.

But the question is when?

I have tried to to get ATM to just bypass or ignore the MSI mod but can not seem to get it figured out. What is the proper cfg language to have ATM completely ignore a specific mod?

Please and thanks, I have tried to fix the black out texture issue with several recommended cfg changes and for some reason I can not get my parts to show up correctly.

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG

{

folder = MagicSmokeIndustries

enabled = true

OVERRIDES

{

MagicSmokeIndustries/Textures/icon_button

{

compress = true

mipmaps = true

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

MagicSmokeIndustries/Parts/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = true

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

}

This is among the many different ways I have tried writing the cfg's, as well as multiple installs, with multiple install order changes.

Thx again guys, with out your mods ksp would just not be the same.

I have tried to to get ATM to just bypass or ignore the MSI mod but can not seem to get it figured out. What is the proper cfg language to have ATM completely ignore a specific mod?

Please and thanks, I have tried to fix the black out texture issue with several recommended cfg changes and for some reason I can not get my parts to show up correctly.

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG

{

folder = MagicSmokeIndustries

enabled = false

}

Fixed it for you.

I've submitted a pull request to suppress mipmapping of icons on a set of 18 mods. If KSP's texture quality is set to half-size, these all end up blurry or black with ATM Basic; even at full size, some of them end up smooshed. I hope that's OK.

No release for 1.0 x64 (Linux)? ATM crashes few times after install new mod(if many mods already installed)

So, uhhhh, here's another 64bit Linux user.

In fact, I'd say that all (or most) Linux users are 64bit.

There's only one version of ATM now, does it mean that it works for 64bit Linux too?

I am going to install it anyway and see if anything crashes.

EDIT: I *think* it works. At least KSP took a bit longer to start the first time after installing, and I have a directory GameData/ActiveTextureManagement/textureCache now, so I guess that's ok???

But I'd like to have the definitive Word Of God (i.e. the mod author) on this.

Edited by Amedee

What does it mean if my first load took about 2 minutes?

memory usage seems about the same. :/

Post logs on Dropbox. If you're only running stock and/or mods that have converted to DDS you won't see much savings, if any, as ATM currently does not touch DDS textures.

Post logs on Dropbox. If you're only running stock and/or mods that have converted to DDS you won't see much savings, if any, as ATM currently does not touch DDS textures.

I wonder if ATM will have such a great effect as before if going for DDS -> DXT conversion as it had before.

DDS textures are about the same in size as all the older types - png, tga, etc, but they just load faster due to Unity loading only DDS anyways, right?

I wonder if ATM will have such a great effect as before if going for DDS -> DXT conversion as it had before.

DDS textures are about the same in size as all the older types - png, tga, etc, but they just load faster due to Unity loading only DDS anyways, right?

DDS is just an on-disk container format for DXT-compressed textures. They load faster than other formats because they can be loaded straight into memory without encoding or decoding, and they're good for memory footprint because you can guarantee that the texture will remain compressed in memory. Everything ATM could do except the "scale" feature is redundant if the texture is already saved as a DDS.

That's it, I have very few mods installed right now, and I was using basic.

Just installed this mod. Is there any way I can prevent the toolbar and app launcher icons from going blurry?

http://i.imgur.com/LYTe7rj.png

Take a look at this post:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-1-0-Release-5-0-April-28-2015-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM%21?p=1632235&viewfull=1#post1632235

Oh, thanks. I have another question. If I decide to remove this mod, will I have to replace original textures or they will just appear normal if I simply delete the ATM plugin folder?

Oh, thanks. I have another question. If I decide to remove this mod, will I have to replace original textures or they will just appear normal if I simply delete the ATM plugin folder?

ATM doesn't write to anything except its own cache. The original texture files are right where they've always been, and KSP will go right back to loading them if you remove ATM.

This is a simple mod to reduce texture memory use by compressing/resizing them to DXT1 & DXT5. This performs the compression to as many textures as possible on game load. This will include ALL textures, including mods.

<3. This took my mod-heavy install from crashing sizes down to ~3.4GB in the VAB using the normal version. I may use the aggressive version in the future as there are still a few mods I want to install.

For reference, on my AMD FX-8320 eight-core, it took about ~10 minutes to chew through everything on the first load. CTD'd right after that, but second load took the usual 20 seconds and all was good.

Now if only it were possible to selectively load stuff based on scene. :D

Fresh install, ATM and Only MSI the damn file keeps getting built. I have tried to get ATM to ignore the MSI files but some how it keeps building the folder. I have no clue but maybe its a version I am using hell I don't know. Thx for all the help, but I don't understand why MSI is the only Mod I am having trouble with in regards to texture issues.

Safe flying all

Dren

Fresh install, ATM and Only MSI the damn file keeps getting built. I have tried to get ATM to ignore the MSI files but some how it keeps building the folder. I have no clue but maybe its a version I am using hell I don't know. Thx for all the help, but I don't understand why MSI is the only Mod I am having trouble with in regards to texture issues.

Safe flying all

Dren

Loads of people are having issues with MSI rework parts. It seems to be an issue with ATM. People are throwing around .cfg fixes, but I haven't been able to get any of them to work. Also, ATM doesn't do anything to DDS textures, and many mods have changed their textures to DDS format, but MSI still has the old file format. Could be why it's only that that's getting rebuilt.

<3. This took my mod-heavy install from crashing sizes down to ~3.4GB in the VAB using the normal version. I may use the aggressive version in the future as there are still a few mods I want to install.

For reference, on my AMD FX-8320 eight-core, it took about ~10 minutes to chew through everything on the first load. CTD'd right after that, but second load took the usual 20 seconds and all was good.

Now if only it were possible to selectively load stuff based on scene. :D

How do you not crash? I start off at 2.8 gb but KSP seems to have a terrible memory leak when switching between ships and the VAB. I gain 100mb usage each time I change screens.

Loads of people are having issues with MSI rework parts. It seems to be an issue with ATM. People are throwing around .cfg fixes, but I haven't been able to get any of them to work. Also, ATM doesn't do anything to DDS textures, and many mods have changed their textures to DDS format, but MSI still has the old file format. Could be why it's only that that's getting rebuilt.

Apparently even if you switch the textures over yourself using the DDS tool the problems happen.