[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

I can´t see any changes after installing this. Have ksp running in 32bit opengl, in direct3d it crashed at startup at 3,2gb, with opengl it runs great (~2,2gb), no visible changes, no performance problems compared to d3d, all settings at max. I was interested to have a faster startup of ksp, it takes around 5min to start it wich is much when you try to sort out problems with mods, very much. First startup takes around 90min with 100cpu usage, second startup was as before. Is this because i use opengl?

First startup takes around 90min with 100cpu usage, second startup was as before. Is this because i use opengl?

As it says in the first post, the first startup after installing ATM may take some time.

During the first run ATM does some weird magic I will not speak about. (Meaning, I have a basic idea that it does something, but no real clue what that might be. :D )

All mod icons are messed up, from VHB to normal screen to in-flight.

While I see the page 317, post 3168 reference above, I have mods installed that are not listed there.

Also I guess that this does affect more people (everyone?) and everyone rewriting their own configs is a bit redundant?

My current choices are, to have black and white icons around, to configure everything myself instead of working on my mod or to suffer the long loading times again.

Is there no better way to this?

I m not even using aggressive.

All mod icons are messed up, from VHB to normal screen to in-flight.

While I see the page 317, post 3168 reference above, I have mods installed that are not listed there.

Also I guess that this does affect more people (everyone?) and everyone rewriting their own configs is a bit redundant?

My current choices are, to have black and white icons around, to configure everything myself instead of working on my mod or to suffer the long loading times again.

Is there no better way to this?

I m not even using aggressive.

The simplest way is to set Full Res in graphic settings,but this will bump up RAM usage.Maybe devs will consider to apply general patch that exclude all icons(if posible).

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = *
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
*/Icons/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

Then again,all moder will need to stick to certain format that patch could get applied.Since this problem is persistent,we should appeal to all moders to include their own ATM.cfg's.Best way should be to inform them that some textures get messed up if used with ATM,so they can properly write their *cfg.

Not sure if this is a problem with Active Texture Management beta, but it's getting stuck loading Decal_375_00 in USI MKS/OKS after caching it the first time with ATM.

It might be that Decal_375_00 exists both as Decal_375_00.mbm and Decal_375_00.png in MKS/OKS. Is this a problem if the same file exists both as mbm and png?

Is it possible that ATM doesn't work on MACs? I used to run 20 mods sometimes with almost not glitch or performance hit while running ATM. Now it just seems with every iteration of the game and ever new release of ATM the amount of Mods I can run keeps getting smaller and smaller. Right now I have maybe 7 mods installed and my performance takes a hit in a big way it becomes unplayable after like 30 minutes. I have troubleshooted alot of things but It just seems like the best time I had playing KSP was back in 23.5 and .24. I know with each update the game gets bigger but damn do I really need to delete the squad and nasa folders to get the game the way I want it. I also use alot of the parts in the squad and nasa folder. IDK I love I have tried almost everything people have told me over the last few months and nothing seems to work. So I am at a loss, thats why I am asking if the new ATM works on mac because thats the last thing I can think of that might be causing the problem. I know its a noob question and I know it probably not the issue but once again I am just simply at a loss.

Not sure if this is a problem with Active Texture Management beta, but it's getting stuck loading Decal_375_00 in USI MKS/OKS after caching it the first time with ATM.

It might be that Decal_375_00 exists both as Decal_375_00.mbm and Decal_375_00.png in MKS/OKS. Is this a problem if the same file exists both as mbm and png?

Indeed it is sir!

I refer you to this post here!

Or if you don't care to read that (it is still informative ;)) just delete any duplicate textures in that folder (there should be 3).

Sadly I do have difficulties using this, too.

I installed the new B9 pack and because it didnt load properly I decided to install ATm x86 aggressive

It stops near the end of the loading process...

Here are my files:

-https://www.dropbox.com/s/x55idvybfbl5f65/output_log.txt?dl=0

I use KSP .90 on Windows and the GameData folder takes 1.7 GB

thank you so much

Keep launching KSP until it got through with everything - it may take a few runs and it will take some time, but it works - usually, for me at least. :)

Wow. Improved my frame rate by a WHOLE FPS! Wow, that is some next gen .... right there.

See it as bonus, because FPS is not what it there for. :wink:

Sadly I do have difficulties using this, too.

I installed the new B9 pack and because it didnt load properly I decided to install ATm x86 aggressive

Here are my files:

-https://www.dropbox.com/s/x55idvybfbl5f65/output_log.txt?dl=0

I use KSP .90 on Windows and the GameData folder takes 1.7 GB

thank you so much

You ran out of memory benkh, try loading the game again so that ATM can finish processing the files. If you computer doesn't have a lot of RAM to begin with, it make take several time before ATM gets through all the files.

If you still run out of memory you could try forcing OpenGL.

Wow. Improved my frame rate by a WHOLE FPS! Wow, that is some next gen .... right there.

It's not meant to increase frame rate. It's meant to reduce RAM usage and decrease load times (especially with mods that have a lot of textures).

Keep launching KSP until it got through with everything - it may take a few runs and it will take some time, but it works - usually, for me at least. :)

See it as bonus, because FPS is not what it there for. :wink:

Really? Well I downloaded this and wasted 2 hours of my life i'll never get back.

Really? Well I downloaded this and wasted 2 hours of my life i'll never get back.

Perhaps you should have read the main post more closely then.

No where does it mention FPS, frame rate, frames, or any derivation of. It does mention "Save RAM" in the title though ;)

don't believe the lies the other's tell you...this is for FPS!!! not RAM!!!

to everybody else....let the kid dream :D do not be dream crushers...for not everybody reads the OP :)

Keep launching KSP until it got through with everything - it may take a few runs and it will take some time, but it works - usually, for me at least!

Thank you both KerbMav and Hektos (I believe ?) I'll keep trying it

Wow... I read posts often, from a couple of plugins, and it's so unusual to get a disrespectful comment...

If you haven't read the OP post, or the comments... or even the title... oh what am I saying... well maybe you should just get a computer that doesn't suck. Oh, better yet, learn some coding and release a 64bits version of the game... oh wait, wait, I can do better... create a new game from the ground up that meets your sucky computer's specs =D hint, pacman or mario are already released.

I'm using KSP V: 0.25.0 and downloaded the active texture management but haven't installed it yet, not knowing where to. I've downloaded [0.90] B9 Aerospace | Release 5.2.8 (updated 30.12.14) as well and haven't installed it either for the same reason. A little help please. Yes, I'm one of the slower ones so have a bit of pity and patience.

Edited by Glasher
Missing words

I'm using KSP V: 0.25.0 and downloaded the active texture management but haven't installed it yet, not knowing where to. I've downloaded [0.90] B9 Aerospace | Release 5.2.8 (updated 30.12.14) as well and haven't installed it either for the same reason. A little help please. Yes, I'm one of the slower ones so have a bit of pity and patience.

1, It's not advisable to use mods built for 0.90 on 0.25. They may not work correctly (or indeed at all). It's best to download mods built for the version you're running.

2, Inside the zip you download, there should be a folder called Gamedata. The contents of this go into the Gamedata folder of your main KSP install (so you have something like:

KSP\Gamedata\Squad

KSP\Gamedata\BoulderCo (you won't have this in the latest version, but you will have it with an older one which you should have)

KSP\Gamedata\ActiveTextureManagement

KSP\Gamedata\B9_Aerospace

KSP\Gamedata\Firespitter

KSP\Gamedata\NASAmission

etc.

If there is no Gamedata folder, keep opening the folders until you find one. If you still can't find one, then it's the top folder that should be put into Gamedata.

1, It's not advisable to use mods built for 0.90 on 0.25. They may not work correctly (or indeed at all). It's best to download mods built for the version you're running.

2, Inside the zip you download, there should be a folder called Gamedata.

Thank you for the speed and specific info of your reply!!!

LOL I thought .25 was the most recent version having just downloaded it several weeks ago. I just looked and saw the .90 version. If you're still there, I have one last question, if you will; Every version I've installed caused the loss of all prior files, records and ships from the prior version (do to my inexperience of course). Could you or another offer some insight for a smoother installation of a version upgrade?

If this is the wrong location for this question, please point me in the right direction. I don't wish to make waves.