[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Trying to write an override to catch as much of the icons, flags and so on as possible within the game. Should this work?

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
.*/.*[I|i]con[s|].*/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}

}

}

Hello,

I need an older version of ATM that is stable for KSP version 24; it would help but I have a work around.

Also in trying this with KSP v24 there is a reduction of 2 gigs probly due to the fact my textures are all white lol.

I am not seeing any 'cache' directory; I also removed ALL my DLLs from the MODS except ATM; trying DDSloader does nothing; why do I not see my cache folder like I used to; I need a version of ATM that doesnt use the 2 added DLLs (lib/nvid).

Cmdr Zeta

I have an issue where some of the textures are getting "lost" (ie they are white). This is on a RSS/RP0 install, and I suspect a Module Manager cfg might fix it assuming that is all it needs to find the texture, or maybe the texture is being compressed too much.

I could use some suggestions on the code I should try··I understand the basic syntax, but I`m a newb beyond that!

Thank you all for the help in advance!

Editted to fix typos--posted originally from my phone!

Edited by Fizwalker

I am using ATM aggressive 32 bit and having an odd problem. My boulderco/clouds textures directory weighs in at about 36Mb whilst my atm texture cache for that directory is 87MB! For example aurora.png is 1213kb but it's cache file is 10923kb. I have also noted that my skybox (via texture replacer, natch) is 16.4M and its cache is 17.3. All other compression seems to be working fine. Has anyone got any insight into this?

EDIT: I tried deleting the cache and letting it rebuild, but the result was the same.

EDIT2: tried editing the atm boulderco config and telling it not to compress those textures, when I changed enable to false it still cached the clouds directory. When I changed compress to false instead, ATM created 384 megs worth of files out of the original 36. Aurora.png went from 1meg to 40. I am starting to suspect that I don't know what I'm doing.

Edited by Sarayakat

Um, I've been having a crash problem that I'm not sure is related to this or to the hangar mod. Does taking the ATM folder out of the gamedata folder without doing anything else screw something up? Because when I launch one of those hangars and then try to go back to the VAB, I'm getting a crash that resembles the out of memory crashes that I got before ATM. I would post about it in the support section, but I can't right now.

edit: oh wait, there's a cache or something? How do I find that because maybe I forgot to delete that cache and that could be doing something weird.

Edit: Found it, so nvm, I wonder if that cache would have been doing something.

Edited by smjjames

I am using ATM aggressive 32 bit and having an odd problem. My boulderco/clouds textures directory weighs in at about 36Mb whilst my atm texture cache for that directory is 87MB! For example aurora.png is 1213kb but it's cache file is 10923kb. I have also noted that my skybox (via texture replacer, natch) is 16.4M and its cache is 17.3. All other compression seems to be working fine. Has anyone got any insight into this?

That's working as intended. Most of your images in /boulderco/clouds are probably PNGs. PNG is a compressed image format, so when it's converted into DDS, which is uncompressed (I think? DDS does support compression but not sure if ATM uses it), it will be larger. However it will still be smaller than what you would get if you loaded the PNG directly into the game, which uncompresses it, without ATM. Try it - take out ATM and load the game and watch very carefully with something like Process Explorer open to see your memory usage. When the loading bar says its loading /boulderco/clouds/texturename you'll see your RAM usage jump several hundred MB! Seeing all my pretty environmental textures gobble up RAM was the most dismaying thing for me to watch back before I used ATM, let me tell you :P

Edited by Gaiiden

That's working as intended. Most of your images in /boulderco/clouds are probably PNGs. PNG is a compressed image format, so when it's converted into DDS, which is uncompressed (I think? DDS does support compression but not sure if ATM uses it), it will be larger. However it will still be smaller than what you would get if you loaded the PNG directly into the game, which uncompresses it, without ATM. Try it - take out ATM and load the game and watch very carefully with something like Process Explorer open to see your memory usage. When the loading bar says its loading /boulderco/clouds/texturename you'll see your RAM usage jump several hundred MB! Seeing all my pretty environmental textures gobble up RAM was the most dismaying thing for me to watch back before I used ATM, let me tell you :P

Thank you very much for the explanation. That was a puzzler.

This might be a dumb suggestion, but how about a standalone app of it?

It could be run before you fire up KSP so that you won't have the trouble to go though several ram crashes of KSP before being able to play.

I second this. It would make it so that we could run an initial pass on the game at the least, and then it wouldn't take a full day of texture compressing to get it to work when we re-install/update.

Should it be like this now?

Or do I misinterpret the .* ?

{
folder = BoulderCo
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
BoulderCo/Terrain/Textures/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}
BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

I am having trouble with joolLayers1 - it will not go past this file no matter how often I restart it.

Hi,

We all anxiously await responses ... like I need an older version of ATM; it would be nice I need one that worked for KSP v24.0.

I managed to get my graphics settings down to zilch in v24 I added 1.5 Gigs of game RAM now I may be able to add all my MODS; still I need someone who has this archived to msg me.

Cmdr Zeta

Hi,

We all anxiously await responses ... like I need an older version of ATM; it would be nice I need one that worked for KSP v24.0.

I managed to get my graphics settings down to zilch in v24 I added 1.5 Gigs of game RAM now I may be able to add all my MODS; still I need someone who has this archived to msg me.

Cmdr Zeta

Take a look here and scroll down a little you'll find all the releases from all versions pick whichever suits you.

https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases

I have run into a minor but no less annoying issue with ATM for some reason compressing and making unreadable the icon textures for FAR, they just show up as black squares on the stock app launcher.

I just recently decided it was high time to leave my .24.2 game and upgrade to the new .90, so I have been downloading all my essential mods and going through the slow process of installing them, poking with a stick to see if bees appear, install more mods, poke with stick, install more mods, you get the idea. I always start with my functionality and game changing mods (Editor Extensions, FAR, RCSBuildAid, ATM, Toolbar, Etc.) and my visuals/beautification mods (EVE, TR) first, and then all the parts packs last.

I'm on windows 7 using the x86 .90 KSP, and all of my mods are fresh downloads of the newest versions.

As I just started this process my mod list is fairly light right now, but when I installed FAR I noticed I had black buttons on the stock app launcher, as I have seen ATM do this before I was like ok why is there an ATM config for FAR it's not like it really adds any textures to the game, I went to the ATM texture cache folder just to see if it was being targeted and sure enough there was a FerramAerospaceResearch folder with four little icon texture cache files in it. So I went looking, I dug through all the ATM configs, and looked through every folder I could think of and couldn't find any ATM configs specifying the FAR folder.

Can any one give me a hint as to what is going on here, did ATM change to being exclusion based instead of inclusion based? It doesn't appear to have made that change just looking at the configs but maybe I'm a dunce or something, any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

I wipe my previous installs when each new version comes out and now, for whatever reason, I cannot get ATM from mangling my Blizzy Toolbar icons - I thought it was as simple as setting "enabled = false" in each mod's specific ATM configuration file in the ATM configurations folder. Any one care to offer a pointer to what I'm doing wrong?

I wipe my previous installs when each new version comes out and now, for whatever reason, I cannot get ATM from mangling my Blizzy Toolbar icons - I thought it was as simple as setting "enabled = false" in each mod's specific ATM configuration file in the ATM configurations folder. Any one care to offer a pointer to what I'm doing wrong?

I know the answer to that one, basically you need to make an override exception for the folder inside the mod folder that has the textures for the buttons, you can also do this for flags and such so they don't show up all weird in the contracts window.

As an example here is a config for EPL that tells it to not compress or make unreadable anything inside the textures folder inside the EPL folder, this is where the button icons for EPL are. you can also just specify specific texture files inside a folder in case the folder also contains textures you do want to get compressed.

{
folder = ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Textures/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

Of course when I can't find a config file telling ATM to compress a folder and yet it still is then I have no idea what is going on lol.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot ATM now comes with a config specifically for the toolbar, I'm not sure why, I went ahead and removed it, this may also be your problem