[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

I have a question. This isn't a problem with this mod, just an observation since using it. I see people post about how much memory ksp is using. At what point do you check it to see? One thing I have noticed on any computer I have ran it on is that the memory usage forever climbs even if doing nothing. I load the game up and stare at the menu, memory usage goes up. Load up a save and do nothing, memory usage goes up. It appears to goes up indefinitely. Sometimes it will stop for a while but eventually starts climbing again. I haven't let it set (sit?) long enough but I assume it would go up until it crashed. Anyone else notice this?

Edit: Also the memory usage never goes up the same. If you reload it then it goes up some other random amount per random amount of time and stops in some random spot only to continue some random time later.

Edited by Dave7

I have a question. This isn't a problem with this mod, just an observation since using it. I see people post about how much memory ksp is using. At what point do you check it to see? One thing I have noticed on any computer I have ran it on is that the memory usage forever climbs even if doing nothing. I load the game up and stare at the menu, memory usage goes up. Load up a save and do nothing, memory usage goes up. It appears to goes up indefinitely. Sometimes it will stop for a while but eventually starts climbing again. I haven't let it set (sit?) long enough but I assume it would go up until it crashed. Anyone else notice this?

Edit: Also the memory usage never goes up the same. If you reload it then it goes up some other random amount per random amount of time and stops in some random spot only to continue some random time later.

I have a tendency to let the game run for ling periods of time (overnight and while I am at work) and while I have never returned to see the game has crashed, it has shortly after I started doing something again in game.

Yes this is correct there are definitely significant memory leaks in KSP, the game is by and large completely un-optomized. Hopefully in the near future that will start changing, one of the things that made this update special and why they say it has entered "beta" phase is that now all of the core features of the game that squad wanted are present, from here on out updates will start fleshing out and expanding those features and the optimization process will begin.

One of the well known and some what fixable memory leaks has to do with loading tga format texture files, the amount of memory leakage caused by these can be mitigated by converting them to another format, one of the options for that is DDS and using DDS loader, however I know very little about all the actual benefits of this or how it is done.

I usually judge my RAM usage after I have loaded into the Space Center from a fresh restart on my main save.

I am going to blame all the new plane parts, but KSP has become more memory hungry since the last update - either its these parts or Astronomer Interstellar pack uses somewhat bloated textures. Whatever it may be, ATM seems to come to the limit in my case. :(

I use mostly plugins and visual mods, the only bigger part mods are KAS and IR at the moment.

I am going to blame all the new plane parts, but KSP has become more memory hungry since the last update - either its these parts or Astronomer Interstellar pack uses somewhat bloated textures. Whatever it may be, ATM seems to come to the limit in my case. :(

I use mostly plugins and visual mods, the only bigger part mods are KAS and IR at the moment.

Astronomers pack uses huge textures (8k in some places). I have upwards of 30 mods running in my install and it has the occasional crash. I couldn't run stock + Astronomers Interstellar pack at all.

Would anyone happen to know how to fix a crashing 0.90 KSP that says "too many heap sections"?
Same problem here. Running XP if that helps (so yes, 32bit ver)

I don't know what version you have, but try this post:

Alright:

So I may or may-not be able to help with the HEAP issue.

New Beta:

https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases/tag/4-4Beta

It includes hashed texture re-use to save a bit more memory (64Mb on stock!), and an option to wait for operations to complete before initializing more tasks.

To try and combat the issue, in the ActiveTextureManagerConfig.cfg file, add another option: "WAIT = TRUE"

eg.

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER
{

DBG = TRUE
###Section for global settings

would become this:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER
{

WAIT = TRUE
DBG = TRUE
###Section for global settings

Download the x86 version as I'm assuming you're running the x86 version of KSP). If that doesn't work, you may need to revert back to version 4-2 instead.

Would anyone happen to know how to fix a crashing 0.90 KSP that says "too many heap sections"?
Same problem here. Running XP if that helps (so yes, 32bit ver)

See my blog post: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/3258-How-to-solve-the-too-many-heap-sections-crash-with-32-bit-ATM-Aggressive-version-4-4-beta

rynak in particular, see wreckreation's comment on my blog post.

Dumb question, I have a 64 os, and kerbal in steam, so I think I'm using the 32 bit version (I need to opt into the 64 bit beta on steam to use it right?) which version of this mod do I need, the 32 bit version as I'm playing 32 bit kerbal or 64 bit as I'm running win 7 64 bit?

Thanks for the info. Hmm, this seems a bit strange though - because this would imply that at least for a moment, ATM creates a memusage spike that doesn't happen without ATM. Might indeed be too many threads pushing things over the edge... i'll try the mentioned config options first.

-----------

Update: The WAIT option with the posted compile didn't work, and i'm sceptical this is a memory limit issue, for the following reasons:

Without ATM, i had brought mem usage down to 1GB, after launch. I've closed most other apps and run a very streamlined system. Overally, there should be about 700 left. Without ATM, as i said.

Now, with ATM, i get the heap error during loading - i think it's still parsing partfiles. Memusage is at.... 770MB (i have it still open right now, with the error and sysexplorer open). Either this supposed memspike only happens for a fraction of a second, or this isn't a memory issue.

Edited by rynak

I have never needed this mod before now. Why didn't I install it sooner? I now need it to play KSP on my laptop, as it keeps running out of memory otherwise. I dunno what the heck it was doing during that first load, but whatever it was...

V7EgDn2.png

It was working.

Hello. I would like to share my observations.

It is known that when you use the -force-opengl memory usage is greatly reduced without the use of ATM. It's not magic, it is due to the use of video memory.

In directx or directx+ATM mode, the graphics memory used much smaller. As you can see in screenshots below.

(Green arrow - video Ram; Red arrow - Ram)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Perhaps there is a way to increase usage of video Ram in directx mode?

PS:

Why not just use opgl? Because it is 20% less performance. I used the "time control mod" for the measurement of physical time.

Dx mode ~1.002

Opengl mode ~ 0.88

Edited by mitiya

Hi, it seems like ATM stops working (KSP stops loading, exe is working still though because I can see the text like "Motivating Kerbals" changing) when it tries to load/compress "TextureReplacer/Heads/Head2". Is there any way I can exclude it? (or fix it). I think this started occuring since I tried the new beta.

Edit: Also, it seems that I just can't get a memory reduction. ATM with half scaling and OpenGL and I am still getting 2.8GB on load...what could be wrong?

I just did a rerun, same issue. Cache folder becomes 691 MB.

Have used the new beta and the version before that.

Edit2: Reran aggressive. Seems like about the same mem usage as compared to basic...KSP 0.90, Win 7 x64, KSP x32. Output log of the latest run here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ab3bl0hkdgdq6kg/output_log.txt?dl=0

Edit3: Ran DDS4KSP, gave me this error:

Detailed information about the use of operational

(JIT) debugging instead of this dialog

the window provided at the end of this message.

************** The exception text**************

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

in Microsoft.DirectX.GraphicsStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)

in Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.TextureLoader.FromStream(Device device, Stream stream, Int32 readBytes, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 mipLevels, Usage usage, Format format, Pool pool, Filter filter, Filter mipFilter, Int32 colorKey, ImageInformation& srcInformation, PaletteEntry[]& palette)

in Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.TextureLoader.FromStream(Device device, Stream stream, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 mipLevels, Usage usage, Format format, Pool pool, Filter filter, Filter mipFilter, Int32 colorKey)

in DDS4KSPcs.ImageManager.ConvertFileToDDS(ConversionParameters convParams, FolderProcessingParams cfg)

in DDS4KSPcs.FolderLoader.ProcessFileLists(sFolderPath as String, ProgressBar progressBar, Label lInfos, FolderProcessingParams cfg)

in DDS4KSPcs.MainForm.ExportAllToDDSToolStripMenuItem_click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assembly**************

mscorlib

Assembly version: 2.0.0.0

Version Win32: 2.0.50727.5485 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

DDS4KSPcs

Assembly version: 1.0.0.0

Version Win32: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/DDS4KSP/DDS4KSPcs.exe

System.Windows.Forms

Version Win32: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

Version Win32: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D

Assembly version: 1.0.2902.0

Version Win32: 9.05.132.0000

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll

Microsoft.DirectX

Version Win32: 5.04.00.2904

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.dll

Ookii.Dialogs

Assembly version: 1.0.0.0

Version Win32: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/DDS4KSP/Ookii.Dialogs.DLL

System.Core

Assembly version: 3.5.0.0

The Win32 version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

mscorlib.resources

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX

Version Win32: 5.04.00.3900

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll

System.Windows.Forms.resources

The Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_ru_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

************** Online debugging (JIT) **************

To connect operational (JIT) debug file .config this

application or machine.config) must have

the jitDebugging value set in the partition system.windows.forms.

The application must also be compiled with enabled

debugging.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging any unhandled exception

is sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer,

rather than be handled by this dialog.

Seems like verything that could go wrong, IS going wrong, lol.

Details from other thread:

I've tried OpenGL/DX and ATM and I still have a memory usage above 3GB...can anyone help me out?

The weird thing is:

1): I began with all my mods and ATM on normal settings +opengl, memory usage around 3GB.

2): I set the ingame textures to half res: made no difference in memory usage, still around 3GB.

3): Set ATM to 1/2 res (and left ingame to half res): No difference, 3GB (and looks terrible).

4): DX11 mode: 3GB again.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be removing ATM's cache or something?

Here are my mods:

2,9 GB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

783,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad

678,6 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ActiveTextureManagement

281,8 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TextureReplacer

228,6 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KWRocketry

144,1 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Tantares

119,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\BoulderCo

93,5 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Kethane

86,5 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries

84,7 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\B9_Aerospace

77,4 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer

65,0 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NASAmission

47,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries

42,1 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Firespitter

31,4 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\DMagic Orbital Science

28,8 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Hangar

28,7 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RemoteTech

28,4 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KAS

25,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SCANsat

18,9 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UniversalStorage

10,7 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ART

9,1 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ProceduralFairings

8,2 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MechJeb2

7,9 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ProceduralParts

6,1 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ThunderAerospace

5,7 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\FreedomTex

5,1 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Source

4,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalEngineer

4,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\CollisionFX

3,9 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\

3,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RealChute

2,7 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

2,6 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Ships

2,6 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MissionControllerEC

2,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\DeadlyReentry

1,6 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Nereid

1,5 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SmartParts

1,4 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ProceduralDynamics

1,2 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\JSI

831,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TriggerTech

615,7 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ScienceAlert

448,4 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NavyFish

377,9 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TweakScale

317,6 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\FerramAerospaceResearch

274,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\CrowdSourcedScience

208,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Diazo

136,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KSPAPIExt

119,5 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\000_Toolbar

110,8 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TweakableEverything

106,8 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\FMRS

105,5 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\CIT

90,8 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PlanetShine

86,8 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\StageRecovery

85,6 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Fusebox

84,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Contracts Window

73,1 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KineTechAnimation

69,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Trajectories

61,3 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PreciseNode

58,7 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\000_USITools

57,9 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TimeControl

54,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Regolith

53,5 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SmokeScreen

48,5 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ToadicusTools

47,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\EnhancedNavBall

46,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\DistantObject

42,7 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalJointReinforcement

42,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalIspDifficultyScaler

37,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MSD

35,5 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ResGen

34,8 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SmartStage

26,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\sceneJumper

19,7 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\CommunityResourcePack

18,3 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\CrossFeedEnabler

16,4 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Klockheed_Martian

12,1 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\DDSLoader

11,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleRCSFX

10,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SafeChute

7,6 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Virgin Kalactic

3,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RSSBuild

2,8 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalAlarmClock

1,9 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PartCatalog

Edited by Sinsis

Perhaps there is a way to increase usage of video Ram in directx mode?

Yes. Launch in DX11 mode and you may be one of those who don't get graphics glitches ( -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded )

The OpenGL performance issue is a known Unity issue. TBH, I don't expect a fix for Unity 4, not with Unity 5 right around the corner, which supposedly will have a *working* win64, but we'll see.

Oh, and I only use the -force-d3d11 switch.

Edited by Rebelgamer

At one point in the past (old card / driver / previous KSP version ? not sure of the timeline) force-d3d11 resulted in a bunch of purple texture on my PC. singlethreaded fixed it, but I still had some z-fighting in the space center and I hate seeing that.

At one point in the past (old card / driver / previous KSP version ? not sure of the timeline) force-d3d11 resulted in a bunch of purple texture on my PC. singlethreaded fixed it, but I still had some z-fighting in the space center and I hate seeing that.

Seems that I'm unlucky as well - same "z-fighting" and, moreover, the Minmus became a blackhole - just a black body.

But it was so promising with a real cut down of ram usage...

Everything that uses any shaders in game doesn't work properly for me.

Edited by Horus

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but does the x86 and the x64 version refer to the game version or the system running it?

I'm on OS X and I get crashes all of the time even on x86 aggressive.

The activity window shows a memory of 1,85GB and a virtual memory of 3,97GB. My Mac has 16GB in total.

The only mods I'm using that add parts are Realism Overhaul, SXT, Magic Orbital Science, Universal Storage, Real Chutes, Deadly Reentry, Vens Stock Revamp and the Procedural parts (Parts, Wings, Fairings). All the unneeded parts and textures are pruned.

There are some other mods but they don't add any visuals, just game mechanics and readouts.

Am I missing something here?