[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Is there a way to let just these guys in "HD" ^^ ?

You'll have to manually tell ATM to ignore those icons. Go into GameData/ActiveTextureManagement/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs folder and create a new .cfg file named "DistantObject.cfg" with the text:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = DistantObject
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
DistantObject/Icons/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

This is an example for DistantObject, but you'll have to do this for each mod that has a fuzzy icon. The name of the .cfg file has to be the name of the mod's root folder, the "folder = " line needs to say the mod's folder name and the "DistantObject/Icons/.* is the address for the icons within that folder. Hope this helps.

You'll have to manually tell ATM to ignore those icons. Go into GameData/ActiveTextureManagement/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs folder and create a new .cfg file named "DistantObject.cfg" with the text...

I have learned something. Much thanks.

I'm not familiar in which way KSP 1.0 handles the loading of textures. So far I've recognized, that if I use ATM aggressive the used RAM increases about 200mb. I've only a few part mods installed and I'm running openGL mode. What's the cause of this behaviour?

I assume DDS conversion is only for faster loading in game and at the start to push textures to VRAM. So my question is: Is it useable to scale textures when using OpenGL? Does RAM usage benefit of scaling?

yes, in fact I also did a complete reinstall, it's still not working. In fact, now all the buttons in the space center stopped working.

I'm having the same problem, the buttons and the flags are not working. Fresh install too.

Welcome back and glad you got a good break - and I hope you keep the balance to stay well!

I wanted to bring up the topic of maintaining original texture aspect ratio. Awhile back I realized when I set a high enough scale to push against the minimum size, or set a low enough maximum size, that the handful of textures that don't have a 1:1 aspect ratio get resized to have a 1:1 aspect ratio. I made a tweak that I shared in this long rambling post here - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-1-0-Release-5-0-April-28-2015-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM%21?p=1812908&viewfull=1#post1812908 (important parts/code is at the bottom).

Since then I've had mixed feelings about whether maintaining aspect ratio of the original textures is important or not - curious for your thoughts on the topic?

You'll have to manually tell ATM to ignore those icons. Go into GameData/ActiveTextureManagement/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs folder and create a new .cfg file named "DistantObject.cfg" with the text:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = DistantObject
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
DistantObject/Icons/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

This is an example for DistantObject, but you'll have to do this for each mod that has a fuzzy icon. The name of the .cfg file has to be the name of the mod's root folder, the "folder = " line needs to say the mod's folder name and the "DistantObject/Icons/.* is the address for the icons within that folder. Hope this helps.

Works great ! Thank you for the nice explanation !

Anyone else running into the issue that ATM does absolutely nothing in version 1.0? I've got the latest version but no matter what I use (Basic, Aggressive, or custom) the memory footprint barely changes at all.

Anyone else running into the issue that ATM does absolutely nothing in version 1.0? I've got the latest version but no matter what I use (Basic, Aggressive, or custom) the memory footprint barely changes at all.

It appears the stock parts are already compressed now - this is probably what you are seeing.

alright so i just tried installing the KSPI mod updated to 1.0 by sswelm via https://github.com/sswelm/KSPInterstellar. so im trying to run my initial compression run and im well aware that it could take a while..... but 18 hours on a single file? its getting stuck on the aluminium hybrid parts in the warp section of the mod. ironically its also the last main folder before fully being loaded. my fps counter even hit as high as 3600 before i decided to close and restart the load. ATM run lighting fast like its suppose to til it hits that warp folder again.

ive already tried just deleting the folder, but then i get stuck at the loading screen before the main menu. the game seems to almost freeze but the window remain completely responsive, ram, and processor counts continually flex. im a little lost here, and i don't think i can even post a log because i have crashed from ram lock or even gotten a full load in with the mods loaded.

any one else getting this????

It appears the stock parts are already compressed now - this is probably what you are seeing.

This is true but the game is decompressing them into memory and they are still full scale. ATM is not able to reduce the scale of the textures anymore and is not reducing the memory footprint of the squad textures. This in my case has put a huge impact on how many mods you can run. I personally am pushing the boundary with karbonite, karbonite+, Kolonisation, USIlife, Proc Fairings, Real Chute, Magic Smoke Infernal Robotics, Dmagic Science and Scatterer. I hover around 3.3 gigs of memory and eventually crash after a few launches. This is at best 1/6th the number of part mods I had in the .90 version. Very disappointing. I hope everyday that unity 5 comes soon and a functioning 64bit version comes with it.

I'm having the same problem, the buttons and the flags are not working. Fresh install too.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having this issue, any idea what's going on? I want to be able to use ATM so I can install more mods.

This is true but the game is decompressing them into memory and they are still full scale. ATM is not able to reduce the scale of the textures anymore and is not reducing the memory footprint of the squad textures. This in my case has put a huge impact on how many mods you can run. I personally am pushing the boundary with karbonite, karbonite+, Kolonisation, USIlife, Proc Fairings, Real Chute, Magic Smoke Infernal Robotics, Dmagic Science and Scatterer. I hover around 3.3 gigs of memory and eventually crash after a few launches. This is at best 1/6th the number of part mods I had in the .90 version. Very disappointing. I hope everyday that unity 5 comes soon and a functioning 64bit version comes with it.

There is a 64 bit version for Linux that works perfectly.

You could always partition off a drive for linux if you want more mods.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having this issue, any idea what's going on? I want to be able to use ATM so I can install more mods.

My problem was with CKAN installing an old version of ATM. Download directly from github solves for me.

Every single time I start the game I need to delete the Karbonite cache and let it rebuild it because if I don't it will always have grey textures on the second load. It's the only mod that ATM seems to be doing this too.

There is a 64 bit version for Linux that works perfectly.

You could always partition off a drive for linux if you want more mods.

This is exactly my plan as I just ordered an SSD just for KSP and mods. Do you have experience with KSP under linux? How is the performance.

Are there no more 32 and 64bit versions and different operating systems? It's just basic and aggressive now?

No more KSP64 anymore so no more 64bit variant of the texture compressor. (I think)

@rbray89 thanks for the update but could you please poke CKAN and tell it that 5-0 is out (that thing is still stuck on 4-3)

They're not optimally sized and Squad still left many duplicate textures in place. ATM will fix the latter on the fly once it supports DDS textures.