[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

My problem was with CKAN installing an old version of ATM. Download directly from github solves for me.

I did download from github, but I'll try again anyway.

Edit:

And now my whole computer is crashing half way through the KSP loading screen.

Edit again:

KSP loaded after I removed all mods except ATM, and there was no missing textures that I noticed, I'm thinking I'll try loading one mod at a time and see if that works.

Another Edit:

Everything seems to be working, not running ATM with a full load of mods was the key.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

I did download from github, but I'll try again anyway.

Edit:

And now my whole computer is crashing half way through the KSP loading screen.

Edit again:

KSP loaded after I removed all mods except ATM, and there was no missing textures that I noticed, I'm thinking I'll try loading one mod at a time and see if that works.

Another Edit:

Everything seems to be working, not running ATM with a full load of mods was the key.

I may be totally off the mark here, but I don't think crashing with a full mod setup is unusual for the first load of either ATM or new mods. I know in my 1.0 install with ATM with the mods I'm using I crashed twice - just bring it back up and let it do its thing.

Uncompressed textures are loaded into memory where ATM can perform the DXT compression and creation of texture cache - but obviously memory is a limited resource (esp with 32-bit build). Once it's out, it will crash on alloc - when you bring it back up, it won't have to do all the files it's already done and will pick up where it left off. After however-many loads it takes, everything will be nicely DXT-ified and good to go. I don't know if this is your issue, but if your mods were previously working without ATM, I would encourage you to try loading all your mods again with ATM and just let it crash a couple times on load.

No more KSP64 anymore so no more 64bit variant of the texture compressor. (I think)

@rbray89 thanks for the update but could you please poke CKAN and tell it that 5-0 is out (that thing is still stuck on 4-3)

How is there no more ksp x64?

Edit: NVM just read the BS post about them dropping it, you think squad would get tired of hanging their head in shame but guess not.

Edited by Toyotawolf

How is there no more ksp x64?

Edit: NVM just read the BS post about them dropping it, you think squad would get tired of hanging their head in shame but guess not.

You can still run 64 bit with the old 64 bit hack. I started doing that today and it works the guide says 4.3.3 which is incorrect now it`s 3.6.4 or somthing like that but the guide tells you how to find the right version of unity

During first launch after install, yes. It is compressing all textures, which is quite a CPU intensive task.

Alright, thanks. I wasn't particularly worried, I've just never watched task manager while it was working before.

Has anyone figured out how to fix the Karbonite texture missing issue? I tried disabling all of USI's mods via ATM's config file, but it didn't seem to do anything. Every other reload of the game textures for several parts are missing. Having to manually delete the cache then wait an extra minute for the game to compress the textures again is a PITA (especially after a game crash).

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = UmbraSpaceIndustries
enabled = false
}

Has anyone figured out how to fix the Karbonite texture missing issue?

Same issue I've been having, and I've also had no luck disabling ATM for USI via the config edit.

It's weird how clearing the cache sorts it out for a short while though.

You'll have to manually tell ATM to ignore those icons. Go into GameData/ActiveTextureManagement/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs folder and create a new .cfg file named "DistantObject.cfg" with the text:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = DistantObject
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
DistantObject/Icons/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

This is an example for DistantObject, but you'll have to do this for each mod that has a fuzzy icon. The name of the .cfg file has to be the name of the mod's root folder, the "folder = " line needs to say the mod's folder name and the "DistantObject/Icons/.* is the address for the icons within that folder. Hope this helps.

Can you do something similar with specific parts? I have found that on several mods, the ATM will be fine on all of them except a few, but with those, it stalls, semi-indefinately. I have found this with Chopshops impellor, several of the rocket bodies and the aerospike engine from Sounding Rockets, the F1 engine from a saturn mod(?), and probably a few others. Once I remove those particular parts, everything works fine.

There is something I have been wondering for a while now, and my curiosity has finally overcome my guilt for not already knowing it.

My KSP build is 32-bit, while my OS is 64-bit Windows. When it comes to this tool, which of those two facts is the one that should determine which version I use?

My KSP build is 32-bit, while my OS is 64-bit Windows. When it comes to this tool, which of those two facts is the one that should determine which version I use?

32-bit -- it depends on the version of KSP, not your OS.

There is a 64 bit version for Linux that works perfectly.

You could always partition off a drive for linux if you want more mods.

I did. And I have one ready to be used. but linux version had its own fails. For me the main one is keyboard being read all the time. Meaning if i'm using a mod and i use numbers or letter that are binded to action..they activate. Not cool if you jettison something while you where trying to establish ship course.

I did. And I have one ready to be used. but linux version had its own fails. For me the main one is keyboard being read all the time. Meaning if i'm using a mod and i use numbers or letter that are binded to action..they activate. Not cool if you jettison something while you where trying to establish ship course.

theres a mod to prevent that. cant think of the name just now.

on another note though. i realize what with the 1.0 release 64 bit windows is taken out, so no ATM x64 releases? what about us linux folks?

on another note though. i realize what with the 1.0 release 64 bit windows is taken out, so no ATM x64 releases? what about us linux folks?

My last hijack of this thread: I know and I have it, but you have to activate it or use one of the mods that it a aknowledges. And I usually forgot what is about to happen If I use spoace in a submenu :P.

Anyway, it seems something is odd with this. I also have problem with Karbonite and Infernal Robotics (extension).

Edited by KaiserSoze

Nice mod, been using it for a while now. Also useful as a CPU torture test first time you run the aggressive release :P

First time in months my CPU fan ran at 100% since I changed the stock wimpy AMD cooler and overclocked the CPU.

With 1.0 out and a lot of my favorite mods updating and adding new parts this is a MUST HAVE. Keep up the good work! :wink:

but linux version had its own fails. For me the main one is keyboard being read all the time.

The mod is called "ControlLock". KaiserSoze, I agree with you though, it is really irritating and seems odd.

You can download the source package from GitHub. The pre-built versions of aggressive and basic for both x64 and 32-bit are zipped up and included.

I'm a fan of CKAN, so a proper ckan file for ATM 5 x64 would be great!

Edited by Teslamax

Can you do something similar with specific parts? I have found that on several mods, the ATM will be fine on all of them except a few, but with those, it stalls, semi-indefinately. I have found this with Chopshops impellor, several of the rocket bodies and the aerospike engine from Sounding Rockets, the F1 engine from a saturn mod(?), and probably a few others. Once I remove those particular parts, everything works fine.

I'm pretty sure that you can direct it to the 'Parts' folder and set "compress = false" and this should work. Though I'm not positive.

can someone create a mirror (mediafire or mega sould be cool) of the files? i dont know why, but last 2 weeks i just cant access github, guess its a ISP problem. thanks